Indian Runner Duckling -Fright Seizures?

NWFoodie

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I gave my 3 week old fawn and white Indian runner duck from metzer farms a fright tonight by trying to change the duckling’s water whilst they were sleeping and she appeared to have a seizure.. she kind of squealed when she saw me and then fell over and twitched for several seconds. I thought she was dying, I picked her up straight away and kinda cuddled and rubbed her, then took her outside and she stood up, looking a little dazed, walked over to me and wanted in my lap... she sat in my lap while i stroked her for 15 minutes or so and then returned her to the flock... she seems a little more mellow then normal, but otherwise ok... I’ll probably be checking on her several times over night, but does anyone have any idea about this? Do ducklings get scared and faint like goats? Or did she have an actual seizure?! It was very disturbing...

Ok, this morning, they were all awake asking for food and I fed them, gave them new water and let them eat out of my hand... all had a good appetite and seemed fine. Two hours later it happened again. I went to add more bedding and went slowly and announced myself so as not to cause issue, as soon as I raised up the container of bedding I was going to add, she did it again. mind you I’ve done this same behavior for the past three weeks. Her brooder mates are three 2 week old white runner ducks from a friend who actually hatched them at home and has the parents and everything - they get extremely stressed by the sight of Rose - who stiffens up, flops over, shakes and goes limp as if she’s dead... and this time, I really did think she died, went completely limp, I picked her up and removed her from the flock and took her outside again and kind of rubbed/shook her and she came to. I put her back in with the flock and finished giving them the new food... the others ate and she did not, she went to the corner and just rested. She still seems a bit out of it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is there such a thing as duckling cardiac arrest? Seizures? It is quite upsetting and disturbing to see this happening. This is my first experience with ducks.

More info: Their brooder is inside, I feed them Manna Pro duck/grower starter with brewers yeast for poultry mixed in, they have access to outside almost every day and I’ve kept very close watch on them since they came to me and I’m fairly certain nothing has ever happened to Rose, as far as injury. The access to outside is with me sitting with them, giving them treats and probably for about 30-60 minutes a day when it’s nice out. Up until now, Rose has seemed like a happy, energetic, hungry, curious duckling. She is just beginning to get her feathers in.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Seizures can happen from being startled. Light going from dark to a light coming on or bringing something over top of their brooder like the container of bedding you just never know what might set them off. I’d def take them out before doing any major changes to their bedding. When I’d replace or add bedding mine would go to a box so as not to freak them out. Never abruptly turn on a light if it’s dark in their room an over head light I’d turn on a table lamp when first coming In then after talking to them to make sure they were awake I’d turn on the over head light. Also since this little one is having a problem I’d switch from Brewers yeast to liquid B Complex found at TSC In the cattle dept it will say injectable but peel off the foil and use a dropper to get out 1 ml squirt this over something very tasty just enough treat so that your duckling eats it down and gets full dose. Some use meal worm chopped tomatoes peas just what ever she loves, usually in a few days they are right as rain. Liquid b complex not only helps with supporting the legs but also supports brain health.

5A0ED971-76B2-4E61-80B6-0C5003EFB7C7.png
Thank you so much. Is this what you are talking about? I don’t have that type of store in my area, although we do have a farm store so maybe they’d have it. I’ll check tomorrow. Thank you for the advice.

:thumbsup sure hope so. please keep us updated!!

So far so good, no seizures in three days now! Not sure if it’s the vitamins or the fact that I’m VERY CAREFUL not to startle her, but I’m not the only one around, my husband and two grandchildren are here as well as two large German Shepherd dogs, all of whom periodically look in on them and I don’t think they are as “worried” as I am and there have been no issues there. Fingers crossed. HOw long do you supplement with vitamins? Or is it normal to supplement throughout their whole lives?

I use the b complex if they get an issue like you are seeing or leg issues. And I use Nutritional yeast for ever. I use it too. also give it to my dogs. I just top dress my flock including chickens and geese like it. a lot of folk sprinkle NY over top of popcorn that I haven't done.

Back
Top Bottom