Indian runners wont mate or lay eggs

picky

Chirping
Jun 17, 2015
I bought this couple about two weeks ago. The previous owner state they are 18 motns old. When I went to see them they were mating in front of me. The female has not lay any eggs, they are in a big fenced garden. My husband built a coop for them and I go egg hunting every morning and evening without any luck so far. I havent see any mating interaction between them. The first day I let them go to the pond and see what happens with my other 2 pekins and 3 rouens, as soon she touched the water my rouen drake (4 moths old) start mating with her. So she should have some eggs by now even if they are not fertilize. I separate these two (indian runners) from my other 5 ducks they leave in different areas of my 3 acres yard. Any suggestion?

Last edited:
Egg laying is affected by so many things

Amount of mating activity - too much, and she won't lay - and it is not healthy for her, either
Change of environment - location, food, other ducks
Temperature
Nutrition - ducks are more individual, in my experience, than some seem to think - some need more of certain nutrients

So I just should wait for them to get used to us?. I think the female is very curious, and will get close enough when Im gardening around them. The male is a little shy. They are eating good, I will put snails and they will eat them and I really enjoy them catching bugs in the air.

In a week it is going to be a month that my indians runner dont lay egg or mate. Please any suggestion!? Anything!

Could you give us more details? What do they eat? Is the male spending a lot of time mating with her? Do they have a secure area? Could she be hiding eggs?

They eat a mix of oats, wheat, barly, corn (it all come in a package) and I add cooked rice to it. Also in the mornings I go slug hunting around my property and I give them around 15 to 20 slugs. Also they eat some bugs and leaves from plants and veggies. They live in my vegetable garden that is fenced all around (1600 sq feet) with a kid pool, which I clean daily, a coop and a shade area that we did for them. They do not go into the coop, they like better the shade area that we did for them. Since they arrive I havent see them mating. They are more use to me though and will come close enough when they see me with the slug plate. I always look for hidding eggs and havent found any. Any advice?

Last edited:
I think you just need to give it more time. Someone on here not too long ago went 2 months before their girl started to lay eggs again.

2 monthsssss ?! Hahaha I cant even wait for one, well my desesperation is more because I want ducklings and I want them to be ready for michigan winter and next spring.

Have a nice comfy brooder room set up - just in case!

The diet sounds low in calcium, probably also low in D and protein. I know, you bring the slugs, but that may still be low. You could try - and in my mind I hear a number of reasons why someone might not want to, but hear me out - buying one bag of a good quality organic layer feed (I buy one with no corn, no soy) and simply see if after a number of weeks that makes a difference.

Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks has a section on feed - and I know Joybilee Farm has a simple, similar self-mixed feed they use. But something I have seen even in my own flock is that ducks vary in their optimum nutrition requirements. Romy needs loads more calcium than the other ducks, for example.

Have a nice comfy brooder room set up - just in case!

The diet sounds low in calcium, probably also low in D and protein.  I know, you bring the slugs, but that may still be low.  You could try - and in my mind I hear a number of reasons why someone might not want to, but hear me out - buying one bag of a good quality organic layer feed (I buy one with no corn, no soy) and simply see if after a number of weeks that makes a difference.

Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks has a section on feed - and I know Joybilee Farm has a simple, similar self-mixed feed they use.  But something I have seen even in  my own flock is that ducks vary in their optimum nutrition requirements.  Romy needs loads more calcium than the other ducks, for example.

Thanks tomorrow Im going to check what I can find for them. For calcium Im thinking in oyster shells, for D and protein Im going to try a supplement package that I was looking when I was getting the normal food in the store. Will let you know of any improvement. Also looking for the books, thanks for the recomendations!

Back
Top Bottom