INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Well, started researching tilapia, am getting more interested in raising them. the only hurdle is the size tank and temp needed for the water in the grow out tank. Seen some very good ideas already, am just starting to read more about it. If we do it, will definitely be doing veggies/aquaponics eventually as well. It may be a summer only project too, would get really expensive heating that much water in the winter. I am seeing them available more now and have those 3 big fish tanks just sitting empty.
We used to fish all summer, and bring in the big hybrid striped bass from the lake. Just not a lot of time for camping & fishing this last year, miss the fresh fish! My FIL taught me to filet with an electric knife, sure makes it go fast. I can do it almost as quick with my good filet knife too.

I'm thinking of getting back into aquaponics next year too. Maybe another opportunity for a collaboration bb

Saw several posts commenting on and questioning about Earl. Well...the nearest vet that will treat a Chicken is two hours south of me. Nearest Zoo is Columbus Oh- 3hrs away. 4h advisor suggested a vet that (after calling the center he worked at) found out he was killed in a car accident Aug 2013. The vet I took my Chickee to will do fecal tests but won't treat the results. At any rate...Earl has survived 24hrs. He nibbled a little more on the feed from this morning and drank a little, he's not standing or flapping around which (my opinion) isn't a good sign. He is putting weight on his leg so have "decided" it's not broken. He looks so sad, he got extra cuddles today and more Neosporine on his many wounds. My neighbor took care of the cat today, caught it inside her run with her guineas, bad choice that cat made! Was wondering...dogs owners can b held responsible if their dog attacks poultry, can a cats owner? Thoughts?
The cat had a collar with "return to" name n address on it.

Saw several posts commenting on and questioning about Earl. Well...the nearest vet that will treat a Chicken is two hours south of me. Nearest Zoo is Columbus Oh- 3hrs away. 4h advisor suggested a vet that (after calling the center he worked at) found out he was killed in a car accident Aug 2013. The vet I took my Chickee to will do fecal tests but won't treat the results. At any rate...Earl has survived 24hrs. He nibbled a little more on the feed from this morning and drank a little, he's not standing or flapping around which (my opinion) isn't a good sign. He is putting weight on his leg so have "decided" it's not broken. He looks so sad, he got extra cuddles today and more Neosporine on his many wounds. My neighbor took care of the cat today, caught it inside her run with her guineas, bad choice that cat made! Was wondering...dogs owners can b held responsible if their dog attacks poultry, can a cats owner? Thoughts?
The cat had a collar with "return to" name n address on it.

Absolutely! If the code enforcement or Animal control takes their job seriously, the owner is responsible for the pets actions. Its a domesticated animal, and should be included in the law. But that's indiana state law, not sure if it applies to your state. Let me do some looking.

What do you guys make of a hen that is super thin but eats and drinks normally, stool normal and was dewormed opical ivermectined in august. Im at a loss to figure out what her deal is. She is molting too.

What do you guys make of a hen that is super thin but eats and drinks normally, stool normal and was dewormed opical ivermectined in august. Im at a loss to figure out what her deal is. She is molting too.
Molting would sure have a big effect, boost her protein intake. Takes a lot out of them to grow in those new feathers. If you don't see improvement pretty fast, get a fecal test just to be safe. Calf manna is a good food additive also, I have all my birds on it right now since everyone's molting and cold. I add it to the FF just before I feed them and mix it in well.

Also Ihave two sneezers with watery eyes in a rabbit cage in the barn. Its 25 degrees in there. Theyve been on tylan for 4 days and are still symptomatic. Will they be okay in there tonight? Is the cold stalling their improvement? Shoud I bring them inside?

Also Ihave two sneezers with watery eyes in a rabbit cage in the barn. Its 25 degrees in there. Theyve been on tylan for 4 days and are still symptomatic. Will they be okay in there tonight? Is the cold stalling their improvement? Shoud I bring them inside?
yes, I would for sure. I found one of my younger OEGB girls sneezing and droopy this morning, She walked up and stood on my foot! I brought her in immediately. She has no discharge yet, but the sneezing is obvious, poor lil girl. The sudden change, and dampness leading up to it has been really hard on them. If you have and less heated draft free area its best, too much heat may be worse for them. Its 18 degrees here right now, just crazy.

yes, I would for sure. I found one of my younger OEGB girls sneezing and droopy this morning, She walked up and stood on my foot! I brought her in immediately. She has no discharge yet, but the sneezing is obvious, poor lil girl. The sudden change, and dampness leading up to it has been really hard on them. If you have and less heated draft free area its best, too much heat may be worse for them. Its 18 degrees here right now, just crazy.

I brought them in. It is either have them freeze or risk the warm house. Since they are on meds Im thinking they may have more difficulty regulating body temp. Plus there are only two in the cage. Not much body heat there. I closed the bottom of my dutch doors, so Ill have paca poop to clean in the morning, but Its better than having everyone too cold. I can hear constant sneezing in the other room. I feel bad I didn't bring them in sooner. I figured the tylan would have fixed it I need to get some denagard. I have been hearing it works miracles on respiratory stuff. I notice since the silkies are in the barn all the time now, unless I clean it every 2 weeks, someone will get the sneezy watery eyes. .My OEGBs are tucked up under the bigger girls so they should be warm enough. Everyone is on roosts squeezed tightly together. I have a couple molting girls that are probably cold so I make sure they are stuck in between cochins. Every night I go in headlamp on and rearrange chickens so everyone has a warm body to get next to. As for the skinny girl I think I will put calf manna in the food starting tomorrow. I may separate her once a day and give her some scrambled eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom