INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Oh, then I bet it was past being able to tell. Can you keep a rooster? I would wait til at least 10 weeks to be sure it is. Your chicks could be 6 weeks, I just looked at my lavender orps and they are feathered about the same. Any tail feathers yet?

Some have tail feathers. Yes I can keep roosters I just wanted mainly hens I'm zoned agriculture with 5 acres and a pond so I got room to play and no neighbors to offend. I'm I wanted 28 layers an two roosters but I think I got several roosters

Some have tail feathers. Yes I can keep roosters I just wanted mainly hens I'm zoned agriculture with 5 acres and a pond so I got room to play and no neighbors to offend. I'm I wanted 28 layers an two roosters but I think I got several roosters
black sex link hens should not have any barring. they will have red bleed through on the neck and breast but no white barring on the feathers. I would bet that is a rooster.

animal lover~ I'm sorry for you and your Amber girl, and I hope things are improving. I was thinking the same thing that jchny suggested-- work on getting a first aid kit together so you're prepared. I know from having pets and kids that emergencies seem to happen on weekends and holidays.

kristyG~ I know you're new to this Thread, so you might not have seen my many redundant posts about the 6 RIR "pullets" we got last year at Rural King. Five out of 6 were cockerels! We were new chicken owners and kept wondering why one hen looked so different than the others. Duh! Although we had read tons of material about chickens, we just weren't expecting little roosters. We were so ignorant as we watched the "hens" spar like roosters! When the green tail feathers started coming in, we felt sorry for our oddball hen until I started getting a feeling that something wasn't right. That's the first time I checked in with BYC and posted photos. Everyone who commented said, "Yip! You have 5 cockerels." Through craigslist, we traded them for hens except one we gave away. We tried to keep one, but he just crowed too much. There are photos on my profile if you're bored. : - )

kiniska~ Yes! Since we've had chickens (for a year), I have spent SO much time just watching them and "gardening" outside with them. I've been so surprised how addicting they are. I never thought I'd ever have chickens (daughter bought them), 've never been involved in an online group of any topic, much less become a crazy chicken lady. That's what is great about this Thread/Support Group: Crazy Chicken People Anonymous! My priorities are all messed up. And yes, I keep the chicken coop very tidy and they only eat healthful foods. The rest of us should be so pampered.

Aren't they RIR hen and BR rooster, looking it up...

Found this...
http://www.cacklehatchery.com/blacksexlinkpage.html

Ugh had it backwards.. hope that helps
RIR rooster over BR hen. pullets receive no barring gene and as a baby chick will have no white spot on head. males will and they will bar with some leakage in the shoulder area. Krtristyg which Rural King did you get them at?

Well, checked on my girls (and boy(s), it seems we have at least one, probably 2 or 3 cockerls) from their first overnight, they seem fine. Up and walking a bit, looking relaxed. I never did see them on the roost, maybe it's warmer on the hay.

Back
Top Bottom