INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Good to see you back!
smile.png

This is a good point, too! Didn't even think of that.
Yup, it happens. I actually have read that it's pretty common in Sebrights. I have another hen that does this pitiful half-crow when she's yakking about laying an egg, too. But Rose is impressive with her crow--she sounds just like a bantam rooster!

This is a video of her crowing, by the way. I had just watched her lay an egg before I started recording. Because the egg song would just be too conventional.
big_smile.png

As for your boy, I'm sorry, but I can't take him. I've had some bad luck with quarantine this year, and I'm fairly sure part of it has to do with my setup, so I need to work on that before I can even think about bringing in new birds.
hmm.png
I think that's adorable!

When does a Seabright's comb start to grow. I have a pullet (11 wks) & that area looks flat & pale.

Does anybody know what predator I have here? I live close to downtown Indy. Five of seven Silkies have disappeared leaving no trace. Yesterday, a tomato was found partially devoured by something with meaningful teeth. This afternoon, I found a turkey egg which had been carried away from the nest (~15ft), broken in half and licked out. Shell was partially crushed.

We discovered a young opossum in a feed container a few weeks ago, but he was relocated quite a distance away.

I think I may need some animal traps. Not sure what else I can do.
rant.gif

Puff the Magic has been introduced to the coop (aka "forcibly moved there nightly") the past two nights. He's currently on 1cc Tylan50 down the hatch. He seems to be taking to us better but has not been doing his manly duties with the girls, who are being super affectionate (read: "demanding" and "intensely jealous") and really want us to waggle their butt feathers, since he isn't doing the job, I suppose. They're also wanting lap time. Poor Saphira has been puffing up, and even nipped my shoulder yesterday because Falkor's been hogging my lap. Falkor and Vermi are far more assertive about getting attention, so poor Saphira (who's much bigger now than they are) just doesn't get as much lovies. They're "my green girls" anymore. But at least Puff the Magic's feeling a little better and gets closer to me now. Sometimes, he even look like he might like some lovies and treats, but right now, "Lovies" is the Braavosi word for "Death."

"And there is only one thing we say to Lovies: Not today."

Last edited:
I think that's adorable!

When does a Seabright's comb start to grow. I have a pullet (11 wks) & that area looks flat & pale.
My girls didn't start getting anything resembling a comb until they were 6+mos old. Boys are faster about it, but the girls just had gypsy (dark purple) almost flat combs for seemingly ever. Sebrights aren't the most fecund of chicken breeds, so they can take almost a year to get to POL. They're seasonally active layers, so they tend to wait for spring to start laying, which is likely when the comb's development really starts.

Does anybody know what predator I have here? I live close to downtown Indy. Five of seven Silkies have disappeared leaving no trace. Yesterday, a tomato was found partially devoured by something with meaningful teeth. This afternoon, I found a turkey egg which had been carried away from the nest (~15ft), broken in half and licked out. Shell was partially crushed.

We discovered a young opossum in a feed container a few weeks ago, but he was relocated quite a distance away.

I think I may need some animal traps. Not sure what else I can do.
rant.gif
Several options, all of which do quite well in urban environments. - another small possum (they are usually born in litters, so if you found one, there are probably more), a young raccoon who isn't up for taking on the adult chickens, or a rat or two that will take a chick or egg, but leave the adults alone.

Good to see you back!
smile.png

This is a good point, too! Didn't even think of that.
Yup, it happens. I actually have read that it's pretty common in Sebrights. I have another hen that does this pitiful half-crow when she's yakking about laying an egg, too. But Rose is impressive with her crow--she sounds just like a bantam rooster!

This is a video of her crowing, by the way. I had just watched her lay an egg before I started recording. Because the egg song would just be too conventional.
big_smile.png

As for your boy, I'm sorry, but I can't take him. I've had some bad luck with quarantine this year, and I'm fairly sure part of it has to do with my setup, so I need to work on that before I can even think about bringing in new birds.
hmm.png
Ok well ya cant blame me for trying... lol

She is so cute. If this one was as quite as her it wouldn't be so bad, she isn't near as loud as he is. But now I can say I have heard a hen crow... Thanks

FUN GAME!!!

---*RATE YOUR TOP 10 FAVORITE BIRDS*---

if you could have any bird, what are the 10 breeds/colors you are MOST interested in?

I'll start! (1 is most interested 10 is least)

1) isbar
2) olive eager
3) sussex (any color want pink eggs lol)
4) violet laced Wyandotte
5) cochin
6) marans
7) Langhan
8) favorelle
9) flower hen
10) minorca

Now you go!

Way too easy! :D Although it's likely to change about 40 times this week alone!

1. Silver Gray Dorking
2. Colored, Dark, or Dun Dorkings
3. Cochins of any color, preferably bantam
4. Bielefelders
5. Silver Ameraucana
6. Partridge or BBS Silver Duckwing Deutsches Zwerghuhn
7. Olandsk Dwarf
8. Ostfriesische Möwe
9. I can't decide - Fawn / BBS Cream Light Brown Dutch bantam or Black/Fawn/Khaki Silver Duckwing Old English Game Bantams
10. Bergische Kräher... or Niederrheiner...

Okay, not easy! I have way more than 10! :hit

Editing to add, the only one I currently own is number 1, although I have had a Bielefelder and a bantam Cochin in the past. :)

Last edited:
Well lest see ... this is a tuffy... so many....
1) AM's ( True ) in blue and wheaten
2) EE
3) OE
4) Silkie splash
5) SF
6) Black and white? Polish
7) LO
8) Blue Cochin
9) BO
10) BA

1.) black jersey giant
2.) dark brahma