INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

@SallyinIndiana
How does he do with the chickens?
Curious - do you feed him a normal amount of feed or do you make him catch most or all of his own feed?

He is great with chickens but chicks under 3 weeks old get treated like mice. I feed him various amounts depending on the season. In the winter he gets more food than any other time of year. But as for making him catch things, he does that on his own even when he is over fed on processing days. He has caught wild birds, mice, small bunnies, and a chipmunk or two. He does not show them to me like my other cats do but I see him eating his catches. But on the days right after processing then he'll show me what he caught and not really eat it.

@SallyinIndiana

How does he do with the chickens?
Curious - do you feed him a normal amount of feed or do you make him catch most or all of his own feed?
just chiming in, most cats are sport hunters even when well fed. We have always feed the cats we've had through the years and never had an issue with it influencing their prey drive.

Last edited:
We have 3 nest boxes for 9 hens. All the same size and at the same height. They insist on all using a single nest, and it varies as to which of the 3 it is. At times, they even pile in the same box when the other two are completely empty. Wierdos!

We have 3 nest boxes for 9 hens. All the same size and at the same height. They insist on all using a single nest, and it varies as to which of the 3 it is. At times, they even pile in the same box when the other two are completely empty. Wierdos!

LOL~yes same thing here. And when my ducks are brooding, they lay eggs with the ducks. Thats where my barnyard mix babies come from, typically.

Had a stray dog today!
somad.gif
My entire waterfowl flock suddenly went flying, screaming and crashed into me! Behind it was the perpetrator! Never seen before, small white westie type dog. He saw me, dropped to the ground and rolled on his back. I walked over, grabbed him up and scolded him. Locked him in the dog pen. Not 5 minutes later, the owners showed up.
old.gif
I was probably rather rude, and informed them I did not appreciate the dog frightening my entire flock! I also told him I better not find a single dead bird. Later found out who is was, DH is paying them a visit on the way home. GRRRRRRR!
barnie.gif

Had a stray dog today! :mad: My entire waterfowl flock suddenly went flying, screaming and crashed into me! Behind it was the perpetrator! Never seen before, small white westie type dog. He saw me, dropped to the ground and rolled on his back. I walked over, grabbed him up and scolded him. Locked him in the dog pen. Not 5 minutes later, the owners showed up. :old I was probably rather rude, and informed them I did not appreciate the dog frightening my entire flock! I also told him I better not find a single dead bird. Later found out who is was, DH is paying them a visit on the way home. GRRRRRRR!:barnie

As long as your flock is ok I find that funny

On another note I placed an order with welp hatchery for 6 black Hersey giants and 6 Cornish x
Hopefully I can cross them with each other and my rir and creat my hyper bird or least have some cool new additions

Last edited:
Quote: All are ok, no casualties other than my bruised legs, lol. I had 10 adult geese and around 50 ducks out free ranging, and all of them ran to, and into me for protection! I am little, maybe 5 ft tall and about 100 lbs so yeah, about knocked me off my feet. I normally have my rifle with me, it was the dogs lucky day. I lost a baby goat to a stray several years ago, first time I had ever seen my dad cry. stray dogs are my "pet peeve" and I let the irresponsible owners know about it loudly.

On another note I placed an order with welp hatchery for 6 black Hersey giants and 6 Cornish x
Hopefully I can cross them with each other and my rir and creat my hyper bird or least have some cool new additions
Good luck! Why not use the heritage cornish? less health and longevity and will give you a large breasted bird. Fast growth would come from a breed like leghorn.

Back
Top Bottom