INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Oh sorry you mentioned chicken breeds in the same post lol. But thank you on my roo, he's my favorite lol. I found him some girls and moved him to his own house so he's been happy as a clam :).

So Bunnies- no babies at the moment but the Lionhead mommy is fixing to have another litter in about a week. I always give them a full 8 weeks to wean. She's bred with the same male as before so the babies should look similar. I also have a New Zealand and a Ca

How are my little ones doing?(the four I traded you)

Thank you! Wow, I cant believe Crash is a year old already, time goes so fast anymore.

So not kidding I am stressing over who is ok with the huge temperature drop.. I am looking at every single bird to be sure everyone is handling this sudden cold snap. I scooped up my Huey, oldest Scovy hen tonight, she was very pale looking on her caruncles. She was very still and shivering, so I put her in my porch tonight. She is so much more a pet than just a duck, not risking her health. Our older birds need to be watched carefully.

She's right around 8 months old, if I counted correctly. Getting close to the age when her mom first laid an egg. That should be an eventful day!! :th

Aw, yeah, gotta keep an eye on them all. As much as they can take the cold (well, chickens, anyway) if even one thing is going on, it can take it out of them quick! My sweet Elly is just as perky as can be now that she's inside, but dropping feathers EVERYWHERE! No wonder she couldn't keep warm in the weather we've been having!

I actually had her and Crash running around my room, right up until I had to throw down a paper towel just in time to catch a dropping--yuck! Now Elda's on some newspaper and enjoying trashing it. :lol: She's already thrown pellets across the room, pooped, and shredded part of the newspaper since I took this picture, but man, does she have a grasp on the innocent look... :lol:

The calm before the storm.... Lounging across the newspaper shortly before wrecking the place. :lol:

She actually seems somewhat jealous of Crash, kept 'shouldering' at her and grumbling. I kept putting Crashie in my lap, and Elly just had to hop up, too! Never seen that bird show an ounce of aggression until she felt threatened by Crash getting my attention. :rolleyes:

I'm stoked for your babies too! And for the new semester! My calculus class interfered with EVERY other class I needed to take this semester. So, instead of biology or even chemistry, I've got math, business, education psychology (stupid gen-eds!) and science writing. This is sure to be a dry, boring, irritating semester. :he

Yuck, my condolences. :sick My fall semester is looking like it'll be mostly Organic Chemistry and Biostatistics, so I guess I'll be feeling your pain then. I unfortunately can't take any more bio classes until I get Organic done, so... :tongue

Cute babies! :love I love the name, 'Orpinghorns', too! :lol:

Kinda auto sexing hmm

They seem to be...but you have to look really closely at their faces or wait for them to feather out. And it only works with a buff roo and leghorn hen. I dont know what you'll get if you reverse the cross lol.

Not quite--I believe you mean sexlinked. Leghorns are dominant white, which covers almost everything, but can't quite cover golds and reds, especially if a bird is not pure for it.That cross particularly does not produce sexlinks, just white birds with a lot of gold/buff leakage. :) However, if you put the buff boy over Barred Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Delaware, Light Brahma, etc. hens, you'd get true sexlinks.

Autosexing, by the way, is a term for breeds that are able to be sexed at hatch by their appearance from generation to generation; sexlinks are one-time hybrid crosses that are able to be sexed at hatch by their appearance, and if you breed a sexlink to a sexlink, the offspring cannot be sexed at hatch in the same way. :D

She's right around 8 months old, if I counted correctly. Getting close to the age when her mom first laid an egg. That should be an eventful day!! :th

Aw, yeah, gotta keep an eye on them all. As much as they can take the cold (well, chickens, anyway) if even one thing is going on, it can take it out of them quick! My sweet Elly is just as perky as can be now that she's inside, but dropping feathers EVERYWHERE! No wonder she couldn't keep warm in the weather we've been having!

I actually had her and Crash running around my room, right up until I had to throw down a paper towel just in time to catch a dropping--yuck! Now Elda's on some newspaper and enjoying trashing it. :lol: She's already thrown pellets across the room, pooped, and shredded part of the newspaper since I took this picture, but man, does she have a grasp on the innocent look... :lol:

The calm before the storm.... Lounging across the newspaper shortly before wrecking the place. :lol:

She actually seems somewhat jealous of Crash, kept 'shouldering' at her and grumbling. I kept putting Crashie in my lap, and Elly just had to hop up, too! Never seen that bird show an ounce of aggression until she felt threatened by Crash getting my attention. :rolleyes:
Yuck, my condolences. :sick My fall semester is looking like it'll be mostly Organic Chemistry and Biostatistics, so I guess I'll be feeling your pain then. I unfortunately can't take any more bio classes until I get Organic done, so... :tongue
Cute babies! :love I love the name, 'Orpinghorns', too! :lol:
Not quite--I believe you mean sexlinked. Leghorns are dominant white, which covers almost everything, but can't quite cover golds and reds, especially if a bird is not pure for it.That cross particularly does not produce sexlinks, just white birds with a lot of gold/buff leakage. :) However, if you put the buff boy over Barred Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Delaware, Light Brahma, etc. hens, you'd get true sexlinks.

Autosexing, by the way, is a term for breeds that are able to be sexed at hatch by their appearance from generation to generation; sexlinks are one-time hybrid crosses that are able to be sexed at hatch by their appearance, and if you breed a sexlink to a sexlink, the offspring cannot be sexed at hatch in the same way. :D

Haha thats why I said they "seem" to be. I dont know anything about genetics and i tried to research this cross but all i found were the Tetra Tints, and not a lot on them. All I know is out of a very small group of parent birds, and out of 8 hatches, all of my females have had gold heads and all of my males have had white heads lol. Could even be something wonky in the genes of the parents, they were all feed store chicks originally. Who knows. So Orpinghorns they remain lol.

They were all boys :). They went to live on a farm down the road where they have lots of girls to choose from :).

My apologies I really had no idea I got 12 of them and only 2-3 were darker so I thought it was a color problem after more research turns out most of the time barred rock females are darker then males.. Idk I might have a lot of males ugh

My apologies I really had no idea I got 12 of them and only 2-3 were darker so I thought it was a color problem after more research turns out most of the time barred rock females are darker then males.. Idk I might have a lot of males ugh

Eh it happens :). I dont know for a fact but I always figured the hatcheries threw any males they didnt sell into the straight run bin, making it heavier odds on males lol. But thats life :)

Very true! With 18 credit hours I don't have too much free time... Listening to my prof ramble during lecture now. 

I just had German today, so it was a painless day. My German professor is pretty awesome; she wants chickens, but lives in Fort Wayne, so she can't get them. :/ But I get to share pictures and chicken stories with her after class. :D

Haha thats why I said they "seem" to be. I dont know anything about genetics and i tried to research this cross but all i found were the Tetra Tints, and not a lot on them. All I know is out of a very small group of parent birds, and out of 8 hatches, all of my females have had gold heads and all of my males have had white heads lol. Could even be something wonky in the genes of the parents, they were all feed store chicks originally. Who knows. So Orpinghorns they remain lol.

Oh, no worries, I just thought I'd point that out. :) The differences between them probably has a lot to do with male versus female patterning. If you look at certain breed varieties like the Silver Gray Dorkings, for example, the pattern on the males is very different than on the females. Males tend to have more 'clustered' colorations, while females' colors are more spread out.

I don't have a Dorking boy (yet ;) ), but here is a SG Dorking rooster off of Feathersite:

And the female pattern, courtesy of my girl, Elly. :love

Just as an example, of course. They have the same genetic 'code', as it were, but different patterns because of their sex. :)

Last edited:
She's right around 8 months old, if I counted correctly. Getting close to the age when her mom first laid an egg. That should be an eventful day!!
th.gif

I actually had her and Crash running around my room, right up until I had to throw down a paper towel just in time to catch a dropping--yuck! Now Elda's on some newspaper and enjoying trashing it.
lol.png
She's already thrown pellets across the room, pooped, and shredded part of the newspaper since I took this picture, but man, does she have a grasp on the innocent look...
lol.png

The calm before the storm.... Lounging across the newspaper shortly before wrecking the place.
lol.png

She actually seems somewhat jealous of Crash, kept 'shouldering' at her and grumbling. I kept putting Crashie in my lap, and Elly just had to hop up, too! Never seen that bird show an ounce of aggression until she felt threatened by Crash getting my attention.
roll.png

Yuck, my condolences.
sickbyc.gif
My fall semester is looking like it'll be mostly Organic Chemistry and Biostatistics, so I guess I'll be feeling your pain then. I unfortunately can't take any more bio classes until I get Organic done, so...
tongue.gif

Cute babies!
love.gif
I love the name, 'Orpinghorns', too!
lol.png

Not quite--I believe you mean sexlinked. Leghorns are dominant white, which covers almost everything, but can't quite cover golds and reds, especially if a bird is not pure for it.That cross particularly does not produce sexlinks, just white birds with a lot of gold/buff leakage.
smile.png
However, if you put the buff boy over Barred Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Delaware, Light Brahma, etc. hens, you'd get true sexlinks.

Autosexing, by the way, is a term for breeds that are able to be sexed at hatch by their appearance from generation to generation; sexlinks are one-time hybrid crosses that are able to be sexed at hatch by their appearance, and if you breed a sexlink to a sexlink, the offspring cannot be sexed at hatch in the same way.
big_smile.png
Regarding semester workloads: Ah, I envy this. I kept trying to get into Orgo, but alas, I have to take yet another semester of Calculus (the engineer type; everyone else in the class is going into engineering, I appear to be the only vet-in-training). Heck, I'm not in classes with other science people at all (except my second semester English for Science Writing class, but I'm still the only vet). the most horrible one is turning out to be Education Psychology. Professor told everyone the day before Christmas to read all of Tuesdays with Morrie and half of How Children Fail before the first class meeting. I was a late addition, so I didn't get the message until THE DAY BEFORE THE FIRST CLASS. Dirty, rotten expletive of an instructor STILL EXPECTED ME TO HAVE READ THEM. And I wanted to punch him in the face. Of course, he also wanted everyone to write down deep stuff about themselves and form our permanent groups for the semester based on deep stuff... and everyone in the class except me is a teacher-in-training, so everyone already knew everyone else, and me walking around, pimping myself out and trying to get to know people just made me feel even more rejected when nobody picked me... then the instructor made it worse by forcibly splitting apart a group of friends and making one of them join me. So I'm reading really inane books that have nothing to do with my major because of a stupid gen-ed requirement.

Concerning Elda, yup, we've gone through that with "The Green Girls" (the BB turkey hens we raised this year). Vermithrax always had a bit more 'tude. Falkor was the first to strut (after the tom, of course), and when he went through the "beat up on girls to show them you love them" phase, well, she was there to hand him his fancy butt on a gilded platter. But Saphira? Nope, she was the faultlessly sweet one, never nipped a soul, took treats politely, very good girl... until her lap was repeatedly usurped by the more demanding girls. Then, sometimes, the green beastie within would glimmer forth from her eyes, and she'd nip someone's butt feathers. Quoth the turkey: "That's MY lap!" Then the bumblefoot happened, and sh'es had a lot less patience with everyone than she normally does. I'm sure she'll go back to her sweet self once she's not in mind-numbing pain with every step.

Regarding babies: I have 41 eggs in a borrowed incubator (favorite hen was eaten on the nest by a stray dog; five eggs survived). Mixes should be absolutely crazy. Of roosters I had during that period of laying, I had one birchen sumatra, one black Sumatra, one gold birchen Sumatra mix, one BLRW, one SplashLRW, two dark Brahmas, one black Breda, one black Cochin. Of hens, I have two SLW, one GLW, one black Cochin, one mottled Breda (haven't seen any white eggs, so I don't think she's laying--or she lays the wrong color. They're late bloomers, as the breed goes), four EEs, two Welsummers. two light Brahmas, one dark Brahma, two Australorps, two buff Orpingtons, four gold penciled Brahmas, one Lemon Pyle Brahma (or a Cochin, she has a straight comb, but most of the birds she came with were Brahmas), one CX. I have a SLRW and BLRW hen, but I don't think the laid for this trip. One EE lays green eggs, two lay blue, and one lays big, light blue eggs. Everyone else lays brown eggs. One Wellie has hoarded a few of her own (and one of the fallen hen's that I snuck under her) and gone broody, so I'll likely have seven or so Welsummer mixes, in addition to the three in the 'bator. There are 8 EE eggs, several Cochin eggs (she lays surprisingly dark eggs surprisingly often), and one turkey egg. Saphira's been sneaking off and laying her eggs in the garage (up to five, plus a random brown chicken egg that a groupie gave her).

I'm hoping to sequester my buff Colombian Brahma boy over four light Brahmas this spring. Yay, sex-linked Brahmas! Not sure if the BLRW is going to stick around long enough to get some sex-linked beauties over my SLW hens.

IOoh those Dorkings are gorgeous! I need more land lol. So kind of like the Barred Rock male and female are slightly different colors? Even though that difference isnt as dramatic lol. Last time I tried to explain this with my chicks I was saying the mother passes certaincloring to the son, and father to the daughter. Ah well maybe one day I'll grasp it lol.

IOoh those Dorkings are gorgeous! I need more land lol. So kind of like the Barred Rock male and female are slightly different colors? Even though that difference isnt as dramatic lol. Last time I tried to explain this with my chicks I was saying the mother passes certaincloring to the son, and father to the daughter. Ah well maybe one day I'll grasp it lol.

Basically if you have full blooded barred rock chicks and some are lighter/darker in color don't worry it probably indicates male vs female but not always ... I second the needing more land I've been to a few rare breed farms and boy am I in love

Back
Top Bottom