INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Well, had my first losses of the year. The other night the wind was howling something horrible when it was snowing. (Yuck). Normally I can hear pretty much anything going on outside otherwise. I woke up to what seemed like 5 inches of snow, so I bundled up and headed out to the coop to check on waterers. I saw some random feathers along the way, and since I have a few molting (poor darlings) I didn't think anything of it. I wrench open the coop door (because everything is Frozen... ;) and there are feathers EVERYWHERE. Like someone shot a down pillow inside. I start counting and realize I am missing my Barred Rock, a Sumatra, a Mille Fleur (the prettiest one of course) and two young Sulmtaler roos. The feathers strewn about account for my missing peeps. I step back out and look around. I had been putting something in front of the chicken door, but it had been torn through.

Roxy, (my dear keeper of the chicken kingdom) had already been out sniffing around. She was trailing the several paths that lead away from the coop with a few feathers and blood. I could tell that the birds were carried off, not dragged. So now I am actually boarding up the doorway, complete with heavy sandbags. I'm glad tax season is close, because an automatic door is in need!!

It never gets easier losing a member of the flock. Even though, for the rest of the day I watched the rest of the flock go on about their business, watching the younger ones that haven't seen snow yet figure it all out, and playing frisbee with Roxy until I couldn't feel my toes, I dwelled on the incident. I should have done a better job at keeping them safe, I need to get my fence put up, etc.
What a painful event! I am so sorry for you and your flock! It's a rough world out there in a cold, dark winter night trying to take care of your flock while predators are looking for food. I bet Roxie is good at looking out for you, too.
hugs.gif

Darn it all, I just typed up an entire post on Dorking love and chickies and breeding for personality, and accidentally closed the page before I could post it!
sad.png
UGH, it's been too long of a day!
he.gif

I don't consider them motherless when I raise them, personally.
love.gif
They are my babies! I actually was thinking about letting my Silkie girl, Marge, hatch some over the summer, though, just to get a few sons out of Reuben. He's been my only rooster for such a long time now, and I really miss all the crowing, to be honest. Especially with the Guinea pen rebuilt and them so content, it's been so quiet here! Well, and they'd be Silkies or Silkie mixes, so that should be interesting.
lol.png
I'll let you know on LF Cochins--I have 2 on order for the spring!
big_smile.png

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. In regards to breeding for personality, it actually does happen! If I remember correctly, there are lines of Delawares bred specifically for rooster personality. It can be done.
big_smile.png

So, I poured my heart into a loving few paragraphs about how much I love my Dorkings, and I'm not sure how well I'll recreate that, but here goes nothing. They are the most docile, lovable, hug-able ladies I own. They're such loves, but not pushy about it like some of my other girls, waiting patiently for me to get ready before hopping into my lap. They are so gentle that they make good companions for new or recovering birds coming into the flock, rarely (well, never up until the case of Elly with Crash) getting bossy with anyone over anything. They never flee from me when I want to pick them up, and nothing beats a dual Dorking cuddle when both of them decide they want attention at once.
love.gif
They have the softest feathers and the sweetest, gentle voices, and you can't help but carry on conversations with them on the occasions when they get chatty. Also, one of the best parts for me is that they just seem to know when I need them most. Elly especially has this emotional radar in her brain, and if I am even just having a bad day, she follows me around until I let her get in my lap for cuddles. They are just the perfect pet chickens in my opinion, and wonderful therapists as well.
smile.png
They're the best.

And those Silver Double-Laced Barnevelders!
droolin.gif
I need those! I do believe Brad had some way back when, but I doubt he still has them.
hmm.png
Oh, well, some day!

@pipdzipdnreadytogo ~ Thank you for taking the time to write (and re-write) about your Dorkings!! As far as your lost post, I have been there so many times! That's so frustrating to spend a bunch of time on a post and have it disappear. Your Dorkings sound perfect! I love having conversations with my chickens (some have more conversational tones than others! haha) Screech is my only chicken who comes up to me and sticks out her chest for me to pick her up. She's like a little kid with outstretched arms, but she has no arms. lol She loves to be pet like a cat.

Where did you get your Dorkings? The problem I've found when it comes to wanting certain breeds is that it's difficult to find what you want! It doesn't seem like it should be so tough. I want a frizzle something and a black cuckoo silkie, so where are they? I see hatching eggs on eBay, and I've thought about paying a member to hatch some, but I don't know anything about eBay sellers. I feel like I'd end up with a ghoulish cross-bred man-eating raptor.

I liked being able to drive an hour and a half to chickenscratchpoultry when I got my English Orps, Adeline and Bonbon. It was great to pick them out.

I guess a big hindrance for me is that I can't order a dozen of this or that. I just need a few more females, and I like variety.

I know it's an advantage to have chicks imprint on you as their mother, but when Bonbon hatched hatching eggs twice, they were such a wonderful experiences. I feel like a city girl, but I had never seen that before and it was so exciting and fun to watch all of the stages.

Ive got a question. I had two eggs left in the incubator last night. I had taken it into the steamed up bathroom to remive the chicks, empty shells and kind of check the last two because they were on day 24. So one egg i could hear cheeping and the other pecking just by holding them up to my ear so i put them back in and left them alone. Didnt try to assist in any way.

I got up this morning and the one that was cheeping hatched, but it and the incubator are covered in blood! Ive never seen this before! The chick is vocal, and seems to be moving as much as the others do when they hatch, but theres so much (almost dried now) blood that I cant tell if it came from inside the egg or the chick itself. Any one seen this before?

Only time I've seen that is one of mine hatched yoke not obsorbed and she had kicke the yoke cutting a vesle I put her down because I wasn't sure what else to do check the chick is she still bleeding? She may have healed and might be ok

No she's not still bleeding. She hasnt absorbed all of the yolk yet though. I would have thought maybe she missed the air sac and just went straight through the shell when she pipped except i heard her cheeping inside the egg yesterday. So she had to have pipped internally. I dont know. Ive had a few unabsorbed yolks just never this much blood. She's back in the bator nice and warm and still complaining so hopefully she will be ok.

Quote: I would say she is typical of a heavy breed. Around the size of a wyandotte or welsummer, not as big as a brahma. She's middle of the pecking order. I'm not as cuddly with my birds as some on here, so I can't tell you how she reacts one on one.

Quote: We lost our bees this fall due to an issue with the queens. We are starting over again in the spring. But when we did have honey it was amazing!

I would say she is typical of a heavy breed.  Around the size of a wyandotte or welsummer, not as big as a brahma.  She's middle of the pecking order.  I'm not as cuddly with my birds as some on here, so I can't tell you how she reacts one on one.

We lost our bees this fall due to an issue with the queens.  We are starting over again in the spring.  But when we did have honey it was amazing!

Thank you for the offer to check out your bee setup. I'm still planning etc, but would love to start my first hive this spring/summer. I'm considering taking a class offered by Indiana Beekeepers association, it's the end of February.

I will definitely come see your setup sometime this spring

Last edited:
[Re Barnevelder] I'm not as cuddly with my birds as some on here, so I can't tell you how she reacts one on one.

Discover the power of touch with chicken cuddling! haha

Originally Posted by racinchickins
We lost our bees this fall due to an issue with the queens. We are starting over again in the spring. But when we did have honey it was amazing!
What problems did you have with the queens? Just wondering because my sister in Louisville has had bees for two years. Because of an allergy attack, she moved them from Louisville to nearby Greenville, Ind. for some other bee enthusiasts to oversee. She helped process the honey, and I designed the label for her honey bottles:

So, I started a little earlier than planned this year. I set 18 silkie and 8 barnyard mix eggs in the incubator this week. Looking at a hatch date first week of February!

My poor EE just got plucked!!! I must have bored bird with muff envy!
Why would she allow another hen to pluck out her muffs? She's one of the senior hens too!
Thankfully, she still has her beard & my CCL still has her crest. I hope they get outside today & run about before the next temp drop hits.

Here's my Easter-orp. She a nice looking mix of both parents.
....But she, too, may be at risk for a de-muffing & is lower in the pecking order.

This is my Sebright. She's actually quite pretty, but something happens whenever I take her pic. It always comes out pathetic-looking.

Back
Top Bottom