INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

So my broody is not cooperating. I have successfully transferred broodies in the past but not this time. Of course it is rare that at least one of my silkies is not broody, but nope - that last cold spell broke them. Soo, looks like no mama to raise the babies. Hoping to get chicks at Orsheln in Greenfield tomorrow! They are supposed to get chicks tomorrow and Sunday.

Question- does anyone know where to get a heating pad that does not turn off so I can do this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

I live on the Indy East side but will be in Greenwood/Center Grove area tomorrow too.

@flyladyrocks

Are you trying to get one locally?  I purchased mine through Amazon but I think that Walmart and CVS "may" have one with similar features.  I can give you an Amazon link but on the local I'm not sure.

Here is the one I bought from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FGDDI0/ref=psdcmw_11312453011_t2_B00006IV4N

Locally, when I looked six years ago, only CVS had one that stays on. It may be different now. My CVS one is smaller, too, so fewer chicks fit under it.

@flyladyrocks I purchased this at a pet store, and it stays on constant heat when plugged in. Recently I've seen at TSC and other farm stores are now selling chicken heating pads.

@JanetMarie Thanks, I will probably just make my own with the heating pad b/c it is so much less expensive. About $15 -$20.

@Leahs Mom Thanks for the link. I will check out Walmart on the way to get the chicks and if they don't have one there is a CVS right around the corner. The Walmart close to the chicks has several with that Ultra Heat Technology that also don't say auto-off.

So my broody is not cooperating.  I have successfully transferred broodies in the past but not this time.  Of course it is rare that at least one of my silkies is not broody, but nope - that last cold spell broke them. Soo, looks like no mama to raise the babies. Hoping to get chicks at Orsheln in Greenfield tomorrow! They are supposed to get chicks tomorrow and Sunday. 

Question- does anyone know where to get a heating pad that does not turn off so I can do this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

I live on the Indy East side but will be in Greenwood/Center Grove area tomorrow too. 

I bought a seed heat mat. It doesn't turn off and is plastic so easy to clean.
It's not big but I use it for when I hatch a handful of of chicks/ducklings, kept in a 4 drawer clear plastic stacked storage type totes. The other drawers I have my mealworms in. Lol!

I bought a seed heat mat. It doesn't turn off and is plastic so easy to clean.
It's not big but I use it for when I hatch a handful of of chicks/ducklings, kept in a 4 drawer clear plastic stacked storage type totes. The other drawers I have my mealworms in. Lol!

Do you have a photo of that setup? That might be a handy way to use my small heat pad. I have plastic drawers...

Have to apologize, been very busy recently. I am over 100 posts behind! Going to try to read as many as I can tonight. Welcome to anyone new that's joined our group!
frow.gif
We are getting so many eggs, now. Glad I kept my little flock of 10.

@Finnie
Similar color patterns to what you are looking for: @Leahs Mom does have some very nice swedish flower hens. @racinchickins a couple years ago you were breeding mottled java. Or was that last year? Are you still? All birds I want, including the Mille Fluer and speckled sussex. My daughter calls it my chicken pattern. I want crests on my Swedish Flower hens- I love crests!

In other news, I really wanted some EE pullets this week. Wanted them out of the brooder by the time my next chicks come at the end of April. Agrarian had them last week I think but didn't want to pay their price for EEs. None of the stores had EEs this week.
barnie.gif
Feeling sad.
hit.gif
I need a chick fix and my Broody needs some babies!
@Indyshent has my EE flock right now. I can't hatch this year, wish I could help. I know you would give them an awesome home.
Quote: Most boys go through the teen phase much like you are describing. Some don't... its rare if they don't! His stopping other roosters "doing their job" tells me he has hope. A protective rooster is hugely important for free ranging. If he becomes too much a problem, I bet someone will take him. Aside from my love of those orps, I appreciate a protective roo.

Back
Top Bottom