INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

@Soon2BChixMom
My grandpa put a light in the back on their first tsc coop. It comes through the back into the coop and then also brings power out to the run for a heated waterer.

Personally I have party lights out in my run as my husband isn't quite as handy as my grandpa, and we're working on upgrading our coop as well (also a tsc prefab, but inside a big run) so I didn't want to make any big alterations that we would have to move. The party lights work well and everyone is outside waiting for me to get home so that I feed them. There isn't much time between dinner and bed, but the party lights help.

I'll try to get some pictures tonight :D

@Faraday40
So far we're up to 8 chicks and two more trying to hatch. I'm sure the last two will be hatched by the time I get home from work as they were nearly full circle this morning.
My cardboard divider did not work, the chicks managed to clear it and be in whichever spot they want to be. My only saving grace is the OEs have dark legs, the only ameraucana is a completely white chick, and the legbar cross, while she looks like the OEs, is the prettiest with yellow legs.

I was super hesitant about keeping them in while I was at work today, as tonight marks 72hours from hatch start, but I had two more trying to make their way out and didn't want to disturb them.

Tonight they'll go in a solid bottom rabbit cage with a heat lamp until next week when they'll go to the brooder in the garage. I'm very impressed with my hatch rate even though its less that 50% right now, but I honestly went in expecting nothing. I can't wait to try again in the spring! I'll post more pictures of them as well as we move to the brooder tonight. :ya

@Soon2BChixMom
My grandpa put a light in the back on their first tsc coop. It comes through the back into the coop and then also brings power out to the run for a heated waterer.

Personally I have party lights out in my run as my husband isn't quite as handy as my grandpa, and we're working on upgrading our coop as well (also a tsc prefab, but inside a big run) so I didn't want to make any big alterations that we would have to move. The party lights work well and everyone is outside waiting for me to get home so that I feed them. There isn't much time between dinner and bed, but the party lights help.

I'll try to get some pictures tonight :D

Thanks! I have outdoor Christmas lights that I could run out there. I didn’t think about giving them supplemental light in the evening so that they can get their evening treat.
I keep reading to give them a handful of corn in the evening since it will help them to keep warm (I assume due to digestion), but Since the time change it has not been very successful on late nights. I’m like how does anyone get this done if they work? Lol

I have some xmas lights strung up in the coop & run. i turn mine on in the morning so that they can go to bed with the normal, natural sunset. (It scares me to think of them walking around & then "switch" the lights turn off at night. A chicken could get stranded on the ground unable to find its way to the roost.)

I have some xmas lights strung up in the coop & run. i turn mine on in the morning so that they can go to bed with the normal, natural sunset. (It scares me to think of them walking around & then "switch" the lights turn off at night. A chicken could get stranded on the ground unable to find its way to the roost.)

I have been going out to check on them and make sure they are all in the coop once it’s dark. Plus, I close their coop door. I don’t want the supplemental light for egg production, I figure they need a rest. So, do they have lights that would gradually dim? Hmmm. I’m just trying to figure out how to get them a little extra to eat in the evening if they need it.

Good morning (brunch??) everyone,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but search did not yield anything truly beneficial, or time relevant.

But I'm looking to add some more silkie and polish to my flock next spring. There was a localish lady that I got some from earlier this year, but she failed to respond to the text message and voicemail I left a couple months ago inquiring if she had more available, so off to the next seller I go.

I'm not looking for show quality ones or anything super fancy, the kids and wife just really like the ones they have now and were asking for a few more. So if anyone has a line on them around the Logansport/Peru/Rochester area I would appreciate the info.

Also, not opposed to adding some more right now provided they are feathered out, I know it's colder out, but the coop is heated and the run is protected from the wind pretty well.

Thanks in advance.

Good morning (brunch??) everyone,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but search did not yield anything truly beneficial, or time relevant.

But I'm looking to add some more silkie and polish to my flock next spring. There was a localish lady that I got some from earlier this year, but she failed to respond to the text message and voicemail I left a couple months ago inquiring if she had more available, so off to the next seller I go.

I'm not looking for show quality ones or anything super fancy, the kids and wife just really like the ones they have now and were asking for a few more. So if anyone has a line on them around the Logansport/Peru/Rochester area I would appreciate the info.

Also, not opposed to adding some more right now provided they are feathered out, I know it's colder out, but the coop is heated and the run is protected from the wind pretty well.

Thanks in advance.

I just got a Silkie rooster to start breeding in the spring. I'm from Anderson, but travel between here and South Bend fairly frequently, especially in the spring and summer.

As for right now, there has been a CL ad in kokomo for Polish and Silkies, but they never responded to my emails or calls so I don't know how reliable they are. Keysey Acres near Lafayette (I think) and Daisy Acres in Ohio usually have quite a few Silkies in the spring as well.

My handsome new roo: Name TBD
sr.jpg

My two Silkie pullets: Butternut and Nyx
1508275999680.jpg

My chickens are in the coop before the lights go out, but the ducks tend to hang out outside until the lights are off, then they go to bed. Mine turn on around 4am I think, then off at 8, back on at 3:30pm and off at 6:30.

I just got a Silkie rooster to start breeding in the spring. I'm from Anderson, but travel between here and South Bend fairly frequently, especially in the spring and summer.

As for right now, there has been a CL ad in kokomo for Polish and Silkies, but they never responded to my emails or calls so I don't know how reliable they are. Keysey Acres near Lafayette (I think) and Daisy Acres in Ohio usually have quite a few Silkies in the spring as well.

The ad on CL you're referring to is the one lady I bought my pair of silkie hens from and a couple guineas from earlier this year. She is located just north of Kewana. She was prompt in response then, but as you stated kind of MIA lately. However, her CL ads have kept changing and being refreshed date wise so she's been active there.

I had no issues with her, her birds, or the conditions they were kept in etc. The lady and her husband were extremely friendly and nice. I would certainly purchase from her again as at the time her pricing was pretty good for 8 week old silkies (what I bought from her). Not to mention, she has/had a HUGE variety of birds to choose from. However, per the CL ad she has currently, her prices have went up considerably.

I'll have to check out Keysey Acres as I'd personally not have to them shipped, just added costs and risks. I'm not opposed to driving an hour or so to meet/pick them up.

Are you breading yours to sell, or to keep?

The ad on CL you're referring to is the one lady I bought my pair of silkie hens from and a couple guineas from earlier this year. She is located just north of Kewana. She was prompt in response then, but as you stated kind of MIA lately. However, her CL ads have kept changing and being refreshed date wise so she's been active there.

I had no issues with her, her birds, or the conditions they were kept in etc. The lady and her husband were extremely friendly and nice. I would certainly purchase from her again as at the time her pricing was pretty good for 8 week old silkies (what I bought from her). Not to mention, she has/had a HUGE variety of birds to choose from. However, per the CL ad she has currently, her prices have went up considerably.

I'll have to check out Keysey Acres as I'd personally not have to them shipped, just added costs and risks. I'm not opposed to driving an hour or so to meet/pick them up.

Are you breading yours to sell, or to keep?

I'll be breeding to sell. I am at the end of my first hatch and its much harder to part with them than I anticipated. I've got BYM, OEs and EEs finishing hatching. I am currently borrowing my grandma's incubator, but hoping to have my own near spring time.

Put a craigslist ad up a few nights ago.... and somebody insisted on showing when I wasn't home, and then tried to buy my turkeys with food stamps. Blargh. Hopefully, the other buyers will be a bit more serious. I don't mind some haggling, but I'm not into illegal shenanigans and getting gypped.

Back
Top Bottom