INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Put a craigslist ad up a few nights ago.... and somebody insisted on showing when I wasn't home, and then tried to buy my turkeys with food stamps. Blargh. Hopefully, the other buyers will be a bit more serious. I don't mind some haggling, but I'm not into illegal shenanigans and getting gypped.

The hardest part about selling my stuff on CL is giving out my address, I try my hardest to meet somewhere. I don't trust people. But with chicks its always easier to have them come to me so they can pick what they want and I don't have to pack everyone up. I imagine with turkeys its much easier to have them come to you. I always hold out on my address until I know I'm going to be home just in case I get someone shady.

The food stamps though, that's ... I can't even

My chickens are in the coop before the lights go out, but the ducks tend to hang out outside until the lights are off, then they go to bed. Mine turn on around 4am I think, then off at 8, back on at 3:30pm and off at 6:30.
What kind of timer do you have?

Put a craigslist ad up a few nights ago.... and somebody insisted on showing when I wasn't home, and then tried to buy my turkeys with food stamps. Blargh. Hopefully, the other buyers will be a bit more serious. I don't mind some haggling, but I'm not into illegal shenanigans and getting gypped.

Were they serious about using food stamps?

:eek:Oh my!

I know that most food pantries give out FREE turkeys (or turkey breasts) along with an entire box of trimmings to people who request one. No need to even use food stamps if it's free.
OR
Simply go to Target. They take food stamps! Their generic brand is just as good as Butterball & only $0.79 per lb.

Like @kanina already mentioned, I never give out my address until last min - after I've already screened via phone. If any doubt, I simply ask to meet them at a park near my house.

Yeah, she was serious. She brought her sister and at least one of her kids. Apparently, she really is serious about getting them as pets. Everyone was thoroughly charmed by the turkeys, but she didn't have money for the asking price (I would've gone down a bit, but I can't take food stamps) so she's wanting to come back whenever she gets the money. They bought a couple silkie roosters and a "little black hen" (I didn't notice any of the sure fire pullets or hens missing when I got home, so I'm guessing it was one of the uncertain-gender broody-raised babies).

During the catching, they apparently opened the big doors, and some of the birds escaped confinement in the run... and I found Lion-O drowned in a 5 gallon bucket. I'm not sure how that happened. He was the whole reason I bought the other silkies, and he was such a funny, sweet little guy. RIP, buddy. So now I've got three silkies (biggest boy with the mean mug and single comb, and the smallest boy) and the one pullet.

Yeah, she was serious. She brought her sister and at least one of her kids. Apparently, she really is serious about getting them as pets. Everyone was thoroughly charmed by the turkeys, but she didn't have money for the asking price (I would've gone down a bit, but I can't take food stamps) so she's wanting to come back whenever she gets the money. They bought a couple silkie roosters and a "little black hen" (I didn't notice any of the sure fire pullets or hens missing when I got home, so I'm guessing it was one of the uncertain-gender broody-raised babies).

During the catching, they apparently opened the big doors, and some of the birds escaped confinement in the run... and I found Lion-O drowned in a 5 gallon bucket. I'm not sure how that happened. He was the whole reason I bought the other silkies, and he was such a funny, sweet little guy. RIP, buddy. So now I've got three silkies (biggest boy with the mean mug and single comb, and the smallest boy) and the one pullet.

Poor Lion-O.
Ok, so having grown up on food stamps (when they were like paper coupons):
1. If she didn’t have money to buy an animal, how does she expect to feed it? House it? Do minimal basic care as needed when they become ill or injured?
2. Aren’t food stamps on like a debit card these days? So, how was she going to pay for the turkey using an ebt card?

Poor Lion-O.
Ok, so having grown up on food stamps (when they were like paper coupons):
1. If she didn’t have money to buy an animal, how does she expect to feed it? House it? Do minimal basic care as needed when they become ill or injured?
2. Aren’t food stamps on like a debit card these days? So, how was she going to pay for the turkey using an ebt card?

Yup, that's about what I'd wondered. That said, I'm selling about as many birds as I can in hopes of being able to feed the ones I have. Heck, we can't feed ourselves at this point hardly.

Back
Top Bottom