INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hello Everyone! It's been awhile since I got on here! I've been in the process of moving! Sadly during this move I realized it wouldn't be best to bring my Muscovy's with me.
Reasons Why:
1.) Not as a good neighborhood as I thought. I have random people cutting through my yard at any given time.
2.) I've caught a number of people looking at our Truck, house, dogs, ducks, garage, items in our yard, and much more. And this wasn't just from the road, they were on our property up close and personal!
3.) I've had neighbor hood kids let our dogs out of their outside kennels, so I put pad locks on them.
4.) I found out that people like to speed down our street even though theirs no were to go.
5.) My yard has no fence.
6.) There is a ton of predators were we are now! I had a raccoon attack my dog's.

So Hubby told me I have to sell them until we are settled in and can properly build a nice looking and secure pen for my ducks.

We currently have two dog kennels connected to each other that house my two Border Collies Nova, and Koda. Nova has gotten so big! Koda seems like he is taking forever to grow. I can't wait to see how long his fur will be.

I'm still looking for a Blue Merle Female. If anyone knows of someone with a Blue merle border collie for sale, please let me know!

If anyone is interested in a Border Collie pup sometime late winter to early spring, Nova and Koda will be bred together. Nova is a Black/White Speckled Female carries Tri Gene, and Koda is a Red/White that carries Lilac, Red Merle, and possibly blue merle.
Their puppies may be:
-Black/White
-Red/White
-Red Merle
-Lilac
-Tri in above colors
-And a super small chance at blue merle

Since I don't have Muscovy's anymore, I can't wait for Winter to come again. CRAZY I KNOW! But my only reason for wanting winter is that it's the best time to take pictures! Everything stands out perfectly! Hoping to take really good pictures of my little family including my Border Collies!
Sorry to hear that. It sounds like you have your work cut out for you if you want to get back into muscovies in the future.
Good luck with your dogs - and neighbors! Ugh.

My ducks and chickens have been keeping cool with frozen corn on the cob and peas. They have lots of containers around the run with fresh water and of course the ducks got their pool refilled.
They have been venturing out a little into the yard. But, yesterday morning while sitting at the kitchen table, I spotted a fox in the bean field behind my house. It was maybe 50-80 yards away from the run. So, pretty close. I think it has been coming by the run as one of the chickens has been sounding a cackle alarm lately. I couldn't figure out why, but now I think I know.
We have electric wire up, so hopefully that keeps it out and away from the poultry.

My ducks and chickens have been keeping cool with frozen corn on the cob and peas. They have lots of containers around the run with fresh water and of course the ducks got their pool refilled.
They have been venturing out a little into the yard. But, yesterday morning while sitting at the kitchen table, I spotted a fox in the bean field behind my house. It was maybe 50-80 yards away from the run. So, pretty close. I think it has been coming by the run as one of the chickens has been sounding a cackle alarm lately. I couldn't figure out why, but now I think I know.
We have electric wire up, so hopefully that keeps it out and away from the poultry.
I am 100% sold on electric fence. Keeps my cattle, goats in and predators out. My geese handle aerial predators for the birds. I had a lot of fox problems, raccoon & possum until I started putting hot wire around the property! We have 5 acres, 1/2 is fenced now.
Thanks. First time having chickens. We got them in April so this site has taught me A LOT!!
:D BYC is pretty awesome. I followed it a while before I finally joined up. I started our Indiana thread almost 6 years ago because the 2 others were inactive. Lots of good friends here some are like family to me now. Please ask questions, someone is sure to be able to help! And we love pictures:love

This heat wave is just awful. Refreshing the water frequently and keeping watermelon in the fridge for treats. I also have been refrigerating grapes, blueberries, banana, apple and whatever else I catch on sale. We have an apple tree in the pasture but nothings ripe quite yet. I also put frozen water bottles out with the birds, and in the water. Problem there is so little space in the freezers right now. Keeping water frozen takes some space to keep up with. I usually like hot weather, but the humidity is really getting to me this year. My garden needs weeded, rows tilled and ugh. I want to get into the "Back to Eden" garden method but can't seem to find a free mulch supply locally. I am starting to look at chippers, Some of the local mulch companies mix whats ground up. I do not want mulch from a poisonous bush or brush that has thorns.

I lost a few Cornish cross, and I know its the heat. They have full shade, under a huge Maple - All my coops are. Still no calves, I feel awful for both my heifers being pregnant in this heat. They don't like it but I have been misting the livestock to cool them down.

Gardening question.. I have Asparagus crowns in pots (for now) and something keeps pulling the roots up! Any thoughts?? Its disturbing the purple variety but not the green. It is also eating the shoots as they come up. I need to get a new game camera to see whats doing it. the pots are 2 ft high so am suspecting its my geese!

Well, as of yesterday I'm beginning a new adventure with the addition of Peafowl!!

I had 2 broody chocolate orpingtons sitting on 7 peafowl eggs for the last 28 days. All 7 eggs were fertile but only 6 hatched. One shrink wrapped and died after beginning to zip the shell open. I think my broody was getting up off the nest too often. So 6 chicks hatched but one died overnight last night. No clue why, it was just dead in the nest under mama this morning.

It looks as if I have 5 healthy happy chicks now. I'm planning to let the broody orp raise them unless she doesn't do a good job. I think the parents of these are pied? I don't know much about their colors yet.
20180701_063753.jpg

Incubator progress: Saturday noon, eve, & Sunday morning
incubator-progress-jpg.1451659

From my lav eggs. I expected blk/lav splits.... but didn't know my roo carried choc too!
I love the unexpected variety!
:love

Mystery colored orp:

Mystery orp next to GG's chick (standing). Hers are either blue laced or buff Columbian depending on the roo. I love both colors! I also giggled at the "oops" photo. Can you guess which chick is already hgher in the pecking order?

Hatched some
Laced orps

and some EEs for fun

Chicks got put under Cookie & then all moved to brooder. Such a great mama! The unhatched eggs got moved to the incubator. (Six eggs left to go in various stages. Some may hatch as late as Tues)

Back
Top Bottom