INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Happy to report they are still fryers, not broilers yet! We were able to squeeze in the processing event this afternoon also. The rain mostly held off! Very nice to meet @Finnie and I hope I didn't totally confuse you.
Nope, not confused at all! It was nice to meet you too. And I'm grateful to have done the whole thing start to finish, so now I know I can do it again. (Although now I have to overcome the hurdle of having the right station and equipment.)

I think it was great that while it thundered the whole time, the rain didn't really start till I was back in my car. And then what a downpour while I was driving!

I have a question. How long should I leave him soaking in the salted ice water? He's in my cooler for now, but I imagine I have to move him to the fridge at some point. And I plan to cook him without freezing him. I have read that they have to sit in the fridge for a few days before cooking?

Nope, not confused at all! It was nice to meet you too. And I'm grateful to have done the whole thing start to finish, so now I know I can do it again. (Although now I have to overcome the hurdle of having the right station and equipment.)

I think it was great that while it thundered the whole time, the rain didn't really start till I was back in my car. And then what a downpour while I was driving!

I have a question. How long should I leave him soaking in the salted ice water? He's in my cooler for now, but I imagine I have to move him to the fridge at some point. And I plan to cook him without freezing him. I have read that they have to sit in the fridge for a few days before cooking?
If you keep him in the brine, you can go 3 to 5 days in the fridge. Just be sure to stir it up once a day. otherwise I would cook in 3 days.

Just be sure to let him rest in the fridge at least 3 days. Getting the rigor mortis out of the bird really helps. Crock pot him or pressure cook he will be awesome! I BBQ them or fry after I pressure cook often. Winter months i do a lot of stews, soup and broths.

Just be sure to let him rest in the fridge at least 3 days. Getting the rigor mortis out of the bird really helps. Crock pot him or pressure cook he will be awesome! I BBQ them or fry after I pressure cook often. Winter months i do a lot of stews, soup and broths.
Should the bird "rest" for 3 days before freezing or can you freeze day 1 & let it thaw in fridge for a couple days? What does the salt water do? (preserve? tenderize? flavor?

How long does it take before rigor sets in? Can you immediately cook the meat?

@Faraday40 Here's the Dominique kids - 11 weeks old. I haven't had the chance to smell them yet :lau

Green band boy

2018-8-24-10-5-week-dom-green-band-boy-jpg.1514512

No band girl
2018-8-24-10-5-week-dom-no-band-jpg.1514523

Red & Green Bands (I only got a poor photo of this girl.)

2018-8-24-10-5-week-dom-green-red-and-green-jpg.1514533

Red & Blue bands...this girl has really long tail feathers. Not sure what's up with that.

2018-8-24-10-5-week-dom-green-red-and-blue-band-4-jpg.1514535

Last edited:
@Leahs Mom gorgeous babies!
Should the bird "rest" for 3 days before freezing or can you freeze day 1 & let it thaw in fridge for a couple days? What does the salt water do? (preserve? tenderize? flavor?

How long does it take before rigor sets in? Can you immediately cook the meat?
Yes you can immediately cook/freeze, if you work quickly enough before rigor comes on. You can tell; the legs will stiffen up, and wings. An old bird it won't matter its going to be tough. If I process on a weekday its usually just me, so I can't get them in the freezer quick enough. I keep a cooler next to me with ice and salt water and put my finished birds in there. The salt helps draw out any leftover blood also.
I like to brine my birds to add moistness and it does help tenderize more. Especially if they are older.. I add garlic and other seasonings so it has time to absorb the flavors.

Garden is beginning to wind down a bit. Corn is almost ready! Sugar snap peas are past dead, cucumbers are dying out. My earliest summer squash are dying out too. Already had 2 spaghetti squash ready, DD's love it. I admit I'm not crazy about it. Butternut squash are doing fair, pumpkins are getting more orange by the day. I bought new seed this summer, my "seed stash" is losing vigor several things just didn't germinate.
Finally bought enough canning jars so I start canning salsa, peppers and pickles. My son-in-law hinted he will come help, he really loves my salsa! I use jalapeno for a good kick. My nephew, brother and Dad like it spicy too.
I am following some Vlogs about using landscape fabric as row covers. The one is using it also trellis gardens. I like how it looks. Very neat and clean rows we are going to try it next year. My biggest battle is weeds, its crazy how quick this weird grass species we have overtakes the garden. I grew up in NW IN. Never in my life have a seen weeds grow so big so fast! I really do not want to use chemical weeders. "Back to Eden" after researching it just isn't for us. Having a hard time finding wood chips, and the labor involved is just too much for me, or even using old hay.
When i saw them "mowing rows" :lau couldn't stop laughing! That's what I do every year.
I have a huge garden plot so the weedy mess is embarrassing. The early summer onset and heat indexes are making it harder to keep up with. Its worth it to me to invest and see if it works.

Back
Top Bottom