INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Faraday40 so with the pipe cutter you can cull a chicken's neck? does the whole neck fit in there? you mentioned that chicken bleed using a cone, so when you use the pipe cutter they don't bleed as much? also, do they instantly die or it takes a few minutes for the body to stop moving. I am sorry for so many questions. I hope it doesn't bother anyone in the forum. I am just trying to absorb as much information possible to find an easy, quick and effective way.
I also use the pipe cutter... when I got a little less sqimish and could grab the comb. Cuts through everything except maybe the skin on the back of the neck. They bleed as much and still have death throws. But with the spinel cord cut I know they aren't feeling it for more than a few seconds

I also use the pipe cutter... when I got a little less sqimish and could grab the comb. Cuts through everything except maybe the skin on the back of the neck. They bleed as much and still have death throws. But with the spinel cord cut I know they aren't feeling it for more than a few seconds
This is why I prefer the broomstick. If you pull up quickly and add an inch or two you feel the pop of the spinal severe and you know theres no pain and no blood. I dont let go of the legs until I have the wings pinned on the ground so there is no flapping either. After the heart and throws stop I place a towel over the bird and walk away. My fiancee handles the rest

Faraday40 so with the pipe cutter you can cull a chicken's neck? does the whole neck fit in there? you mentioned that chicken bleed using a cone, so when you use the pipe cutter they don't bleed as much? also, do they instantly die or it takes a few minutes for the body to stop moving. I am sorry for so many questions. I hope it doesn't bother anyone in the forum. I am just trying to absorb as much information possible to find an easy, quick and effective way.

The pipe cutter is like a big pair of scissors - similar to pruning sheers - and cuts through the bone easily with one squeeze. I don't have a cone, so I make a temp cone out of a feed bag (cut one bottom corner) and one person holds the feed bag and the other uses the cutter to dispatch. There's still a lot of blood & the muscle reaction, but I take a bit of comfort knowing that no head = no life. I worry that if I tried to bleed out a chicken that I could hesitate, miss, have to retry, make a big mess, etc. I use a double bagged garbage can for the blood and feathers. I like to do the rest inside where there's a sink & no insect activity. We only process extra cockerels or old, injured hens, so it's not like I have to do more than 2-3 at a time.

There are a lot of YouTube videos to help prepare yourself. There's also a BYC thread dedicated to processing. Of course if you have an opportunity to work with someone and learn - take it!

My handyman grew up on a farm and was a hunter, so he knew how to process all sorts of animals. At first, I just gave him our cockerels. (Don't ask / Don't tell) After a year or two, I asked him to process our birds when needed, and eventually I assisted after the kill. Gradually I assisted through the whole process, and now I can take the lead with a partner. Sadly our handyman passed away in spring 2019. I am so grateful that he passed along some of his knowledge/skills to me.

There's a big mix of emotions. Knowing that our chickens had a good life and that we're eating higher quality meat is reassuring. Yes, you may feel sad, so perhaps don't plan to eat chicken for a few days. (Meat has to rest anyway - One of the 1st mistakes I made. LOL I slow cooked it for 8+ hours and it was still tough.) There's a little relief when you have less beaks to feed and less chores. There's also a good sense of pride when you cook a meal made 100% from your backyard. Processing a chicken is a skill very few people have - at least here in the suburbs. It is comforting to know that I could still feed my family in hard times.

I’m a Hoosier! And I have 6 chicks, they were supposed to be all girls but, one of the might be a little rooster. In Greene county am I allowed to have a roo?
Not sure. Porter county here. Keep in mind though your city ordinances might be different. For example Porter county allows roosters and chickens but Chesterton does not allow chickens unless outside the city limits. I've seen several craigslist post of people who "got caught" and had to rehome their birds

Not sure. Porter county here. Keep in mind though your city ordinances might be different. For example Porter county allows roosters and chickens but Chesterton does not allow chickens unless outside the city limits. I've seen several craigslist post of people who "got caught" and had to rehome their birds
I hope my dad will call the person who says if we can have a rooster in Worthington. He thinks its a NO, i hope it isn’t

You are very nice by showing others how to process poultry. I would like to be able to process my own meat birds but the part I am having a hard time is when culling the bird. I can handle when the bird is dead but the culling part I don't know how to be strong for that. How do you pass that part? any advice?
Thank you! I am so glad to help. Its never easier by any means, a dread for me taking a life. That's the very reason I offer workshops. I do still cry and I flat hate it. You may never find yourself totally ok with it, honestly hope you don't but you will come to terms with it if you want better, safer meat for your family. I use a cone, and tie legs together so they don't break bones and have more pain from that. The most humane method has been cutting both jugular veins for me and its what my grandmothers taught me. They have a pinch of pain and just go to sleep.

I feel like this is a lost art and folks really need alternate ways to raise food without being charged for it! This year has been a proven example why we must be able to process our own farm animals. Pandemic caused a lot of empty meat counters, I have 4 full freezers of meat and veggies most grown right here on my farm.
I was raised with it around me.. both grandparents were farmers. I do hunt squirrel and rabbit time allowing. Bottom line, I learned from my grandmothers if I want to eat meat I need to be the one taking its life and thanking that animal that's feeding my family. In the early years my Dad's Mother (Gramma) showed me, didn't do it FOR me. I still shed a few tears especially with my cattle.
YouTube has been a good source and Joel Salatin is my HERO, Justin Rhodes regarding humane practices processing animals.

Guys I'm watching the CV19 stats close, we've got my Dad 86 COPD Diabetic 2x open heart and my sis 55 stage 4 COPD. I may not host a processing workshop this year stats are climbing daily for Covid. Makes me really sad. We've lost 2 close friends to this horrible virus already. Ive chose to cancel Thanksgiving plans for their safety.
I hope your families are all well and safe during this mess.

Here are some of Xansie's (my silkie) chicks. They hatched throughout September and she adopted them all.

These orp girls are getting big, fast. Already much bigger than mama.

IMG_5919 (2).jpg

IMG_5923 (2).jpg

IMG_5931 (2).jpg

They have some serama "sisters"
IMG_5966 (2).jpg IMG_5958 (2).jpg IMG_5941 (2).jpg IMG_5945 (2).jpg IMG_5948 (2).jpg

.... and a brother
serama male cute.jpg

Back
Top Bottom