INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Really like those coops
Thanks! In 2019, TSC came out with a couple of prefab coops that were labeled as “better quality wood”. They were a LOT more money than the regular balsa wood prefab types. But they did look like nicer quality. And they didn’t come pre-primed. All over the box it warned you that you had to paint or treat the wood yourself.

Well I couldn’t stomach the high price, but I kept an eye on whether they were going to clearance out the display model. Lo and behold on Memorial Day weekend that year they had them all on clearance, not just the display models. AND, they were running a holiday weekend special of half off the clearance price! $500 chicken coops for $150 each!!

There was one at my local TSC, and then I started calling around to all the other TSCs, and I ended going on a road trip that day an hour west of me to get one and an hour east of me to get another. I was alone on a holiday and it was a beautiful day for a drive and I took the scenic routes and had a great day going around collecting my scores. 😊

The package suggested treating all the pieces before assembly. That was the best thing ever. From now on if I ever buy a coop kit again, or even if I do a self build, I am totally going to pre-paint. It was a huge job leaning the pieces against sawhorses and such all around my garage and painting one side at a time, flipping them around, shuffling the done pieces out of the way until I got them all done. (I only built the red and blue coops that year. The 3rd coop I stored for a couple of years and then just got lazy and painted that whole one white.)

DH couldn’t park inside for weeks (I am slow and OCD). But that effort was SO worth it. These coops have been so much better than the cheapo prefab ones I have. Painting really helps preserve them. The pre-primed ones really ought to be painted too. And it is so much easier to paint pieces when you can walk up to them and move them however you want instead of trying to contort yourself to reach the insides and outsides of an already built coop.

Anyway, TSC had a different style of better quality coop the next year that I didn’t really care for. Since then I’ve never seen the good ones again. Probably because of the pandemic. There got to be such a high demand for easy chicken coops that now they can sell the cheapo coops for a lot more money so why bother using expensive quality wood? And wood was hard to source for a while.

Iso butcher near Terre Haute, IN , having a hard time finding one , finally got a hold of one and he has a 10 bird minimum , and we have only 6 cayuga ducks we need butchered but would have to pay 55.00 for the 6 . Any help with a reasonable butcher around this area would greatly help:D:woot
HOOSIERS! UNITE!! There are actually 2 older threads for Indiana. Lets get together and make this one active for all of our benefit! After a few confusing months of trying to contact someone to get on Indiana's thread, I've since found out The OP's just aren't active anymore.
idunno.gif
This is for those of us that want a place to share local info, from breeders to processors. Food mills, veterinarians that will treat a chicken if necessary. Fun stuff like poultry shows, and just let off steam
rant.gif
if we need to! I started keeping fowl after being away from it almost 30 years. Some of this information was pretty hard to find where I am at, BYC has helped a lot.

Iso butcher near Terre Haute, IN , having a hard time finding one , finally got a hold of one and he has a 10 bird minimum , and we have only 6 cayuga ducks we need butchered but would have to pay 55.00 for the 6 . Any help with a reasonable butcher around this area would greatly help:D:woot
I do not live near you, but have you considered doing it yourself? It took me several years to psychologically prepare myself into trying. (and also several Youtube videos) I had a farm-raised handyman who offered to teach me. Honestly the decision to process was the hardest part. He was a good mentor. It's easier to have someone with you to work, socialize, and keep your mood in check. After he passed away, I helped teach others. It's a good skill to know. I also understand that it's not for everyone. It's not easy. If killing were easy, we'd have much bigger problems.

Love her!! 😍 That's a breed I've always really wanted but just haven't had the right opportunity to get yet.

Much of her personality has to do with how she was raised. DS plays with her daily so she's very comfortable being handled and walking around the house. (She will follow him up and down the stairs with ease.) Her siblings went to my friend's house. Those Spitzies like to roam free and sleep in trees. They are not much for human interaction, but gorgeous yard beauty.

All imprinted on him as chicks, but one he decided to keep and shower with affection.
IMG_9748 (2).jpg

IMG_4439.JPG
IMG_1546.JPG
poot.jpg

She's honestly not the prettiest Spitzhauben, but to him, she's perfect.

Back
Top Bottom