INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hi all. I was on here a few times in the spring and time has gotten away from me. Been very busy building chicken living structures, gardening, etc.

We started on the 28th of Feb with a trip to TSC "to see what kind of poultry supplies they have" because I had ordered 17 Bielefelders for late April delivery. So of course we left TSC with 10 chicks. Five were Buff Orps and 5 were Gold Laced Wyandottes. 3 pullets, 2 rosters of each breed.

Just processed 3 of the 4 roosters from that original 10 on Sunday. One of the GL Wyandottes turned into a very aggressive young Roo "overnight" (almost) and seriously tore up necks of two of the Buff Orp pullets. I decided I might as well thin the flock of 2 more while all the work with heating water, getting stuff out, cleaning up, etc. The two injured ladies received first aid and are living in large cages in the barn and seem to be doing well.

In between the TSC purchase and the ordered Bielefelders arriving we put 30 Barred Rock eggs in our incubator. 28 made the cut when candled at the 8th day. 27 hatched on the 18th of March. All 27 are thriving. (We didn't expect that much "success" )

So the ordered Bielefelders arrived in late April and of course the hatchery sent a couple extra so we ended up with 19. Only 3 are Roosters. All of those are thriving.

So of 56 total chicks, some purchased locally, some hatched at home, and some purchased by mail, ALL survived until the 3 "went to freezer camp" on Sunday.

Having a blast so far with our chicken journey but having heard all the things that can go wrong we didn't expect to have so many survive "chickhood"
But we'll take it!

We have 11 total cockerels/roosters so several will be processed. We'll likely sell some pullets because it seems like a waste to process them and 42 hens will be more than we need.

I'm looking forward to the adult phase of our chickens.

I'm also planning to raise 25 or 30 Cornish X or "Rangers" to process before the snow flies.

Sorry for the "novella"
I hope everyone is blessed
JD

So the geese have been very prolific this year! (And turkeys. I hatched about a hundred turkeys and then got tired of that, so I sold off all my adults. I may keep a handful of poults that I’m interested in seeing how their colors turn out.)

But with the geese, I think the secret to getting lots of eggs (66 each!) was that I made them swap pens every day. That way neither goose bonded with any particular nest area, so neither one went broody.

I had to keep the two ganders separate, so I have my long goose kennel divided in the middle. Every day whatever group was on the east side would get to free range and then I would open the divider so the penned up group had the whole kennel. Then at lockup, they got shut into the east half and the free rangers go into the west half.

That worked out really well. I’ve since sold the extra gander and his mate, so I just have the one gander, his two geese and a whole gaggle of goslings. Some to sell and some to keep. I’m hoping any future ganders that grow up in this group will get along with their “father” and not require separating when breeding season rolls around next year. Troublemakers can always be removed.
9292CD65-ECA4-4C36-9C91-3D10575C9C72.jpeg
B0C69BED-BE34-4027-BB50-4A34B9F101B6.jpeg
C1EEC88D-B756-409E-BABE-CCBD2FD16A75.jpeg
5867C4C2-6069-4158-B6C2-EA0C042505C9.jpeg
70261C51-8F53-42CE-813B-8A7261178E73.jpeg
D13C5D1E-4782-40BC-A5C6-5F6609A56FB7.jpeg
16629957-AC20-465F-BC14-0C703D3D4604.jpeg

Some other random pictures:

E3105E0E-060F-4943-978F-D84BE6DD034E.jpeg

In this next one, the coop on the left is housing my new Tolbunt Polish (and frizzles!). Too bad they don’t show up well, but I was working on goose pictures. I will have to focus on polish pictures another time.
734BE614-F575-4807-8C39-57F5D5A63907.jpeg

And my flower gardening is finally showing results!
B74E9A10-475C-4C1A-A0D9-A8800857B72E.jpeg
488AE542-62FD-4783-9D6F-FFBC8D1564F8.jpeg
90C9736D-BC1B-46CE-853B-DF04E5A49763.jpeg

Campfire rose, one of my absolute favorites:
A8DBE643-B9D5-4152-80DD-B01249948166.jpeg

Love my hollyhocks too
D7C64730-60DA-4098-A2D9-6D4F3CDBF798.jpeg

Anyone lose a rooster in New Albany Indiana? One has been hanging around my moms on grantline road this morning it walked/ran lol into her house. My husband went and got it we have in a cage where it can see my flock but not interact. Its crop was flat so it has not eaten in awhile,no mite are bugs. Seems friendly so it came from a good home. If it’s yours give me a description and you can have him back.

Anyone lose a rooster in New Albany Indiana? One has been hanging around my moms on grantline road this morning it walked/ran lol into her house. My husband went and got it we have in a cage where it can see my flock but not interact. Its crop was flat so it has not eaten in awhile,no mite are bugs. Seems friendly so it came from a good home. If it’s yours give me a description and you can have him back.
Unfortunately, it may have been a “dump” Jeff and New Albany have been really bad in recent years about code enforcement on backyard poultry especially roosters ☹️.

Unfortunately, it may have been a “dump” Jeff and New Albany have been really bad in recent years about code enforcement on backyard poultry especially roosters ☹️.
Its feathers have been trimmed friendly, I see this guy as someones pet. I could easily sell him he is a exotic breed. This morning I gave him a bath I’m so leery of strange fowl around my flock. I have way too many chickens I don’t count anymore and 4 turkeys. do you want him?

No need to apologize, it was an interesting read! So glad your intro to the chicken life has gone so well. You got any pictures?

I took photos for my CL ads recently. Let me check if any of them are worth posting here.
Replying "better late than never"
Been busy from well befoe sunrise to 11pm everyday lately.

Here's a couple sort of recent pics. I will try to remember to take mire the next few days.

Been melting in this heat and humidity.
20230620_202529.jpg

So the geese have been very prolific this year! (And turkeys. I hatched about a hundred turkeys and then got tired of that, so I sold off all my adults. I may keep a handful of poults that I’m interested in seeing how their colors turn out.)

But with the geese, I think the secret to getting lots of eggs (66 each!) was that I made them swap pens every day. That way neither goose bonded with any particular nest area, so neither one went broody.

I had to keep the two ganders separate, so I have my long goose kennel divided in the middle. Every day whatever group was on the east side would get to free range and then I would open the divider so the penned up group had the whole kennel. Then at lockup, they got shut into the east half and the free rangers go into the west half.

That worked out really well. I’ve since sold the extra gander and his mate, so I just have the one gander, his two geese and a whole gaggle of goslings. Some to sell and some to keep. I’m hoping any future ganders that grow up in this group will get along with their “father” and not require separating when breeding season rolls around next year. Troublemakers can always be removed.
View attachment 3586161View attachment 3586162View attachment 3586164View attachment 3586165View attachment 3586169View attachment 3586175View attachment 3586176
Some other random pictures:

View attachment 3586159
In this next one, the coop on the left is housing my new Tolbunt Polish (and frizzles!). Too bad they don’t show up well, but I was working on goose pictures. I will have to focus on polish pictures another time.
View attachment 3586160

And my flower gardening is finally showing results!
View attachment 3586171View attachment 3586172View attachment 3586177

Campfire rose, one of my absolute favorites:
View attachment 3586174
Love my hollyhocks too
View attachment 3586178
Really like those coops

Its feathers have been trimmed friendly, I see this guy as someones pet. I could easily sell him he is a exotic breed. This morning I gave him a bath I’m so leery of strange fowl around my flock. I have way too many chickens I don’t count anymore and 4 turkeys. do you want him?
Tempting!! PM some details if you want/need to rehome him

Back
Top Bottom