INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I usually give like a tablespoon maybe per bird every other day. That's the live not dried The ones that dont get to free range that day gets the mealies! I stagger their days to go out so all the different breeds stay separated.
I just got my first batch of chicks this year, so bear with me, but why do you seperate the breeds? To keep the Roos from cross breed mating?

Here are some pictures of my "Araucanas"

I hear they are a new, "rare" tailed variety of the Araucana
wink.png

What I don't get is, why are they all labed Araucana if they aren't actually? I mean, it has a tail!!!

These look remarkably like two of the chicks I got as well. so maybe I will be getting colored eggs? of course one of them has little bumps on the back of the legs that none of the others seems to have, maybe spot is a boy?

I started my seeds for the garden today, late but better than never. I am planning to plant sunflowers and eggplants and pumpkins for the chicks. Of course any big pumpkins will get carved before they get them, lol

Mine love mealworms, but I guess I should cut back. I didn't know they could have too many. Also I finally go a little bit better picture of Booker, he kept hiding behind Ashes all day.(she was the one in front in last picture)

Quote:
Please don't hesitate to ask! That's why all of us are here, to learn.
big_smile.png
You are exactly right. I have an "egg coop" and a mixed flock in there. Its a combo of most of the breeds I have. Those eggs we eat, or hatch if there's room...There's a second coop, split up for my Australorp and Lavender Orps. Less than perfect of those breeds will be added to my egg flock. Am building a 3rd, which will house BCM and Amerucana. (eventually will have olive eggers!) The GLW will also be getting a coop
th.gif
They are in the mixed coop now, but are the only ones old enough to lay aside from my EE and BR. I know who laid what egg due to the different breeds and egg color. Its fascinating to learn the genetics and genes that create different egg colors. Who needs Easter egg dye?
gig.gif

Mine love mealworms, but I guess I should cut back. I didn't know they could have too many. Also I finally go a little bit better picture of Booker, he kept hiding behind Ashes all day.(she was the one in front in last picture)

They are beautiful!
I would really research it or call Cooperative extension/Purdue, I had not heard that before. Let me know or I can call, I have tons of mealworm and use a lot to supplement feed.

They are beautiful!
I would really research it or call Cooperative extension/Purdue, I had not heard that before. Let me know or I can call, I have tons of mealworm and use a lot to supplement feed.
Thanks you. I can't take credit. They came from a breeder that got hers at harvest breeze farm. They breed gorgeous silkies. I am tempted to get some straight from them. I want a couple more pullets, but sexing silkies is crazy difficult, especially nice quality bearded. These are the sweetest birds I have ever seen.We bathed them last night when we got home, and blow dried. Believe it or not they loved every second. I actually forgot for a minute that the animal I was grooming was a chicken. They purr when you pet them! It's so stinking cute.

AWWW!
love.gif
I have 4 so far, they are very sweet, but am sure no where near SQ. I love the blue/lavender colors! So far 3 whites and 1 buff. The buff roo is spoiled rotten, my oldest DD (31) carries him around like a lil dog.
I don't know if mine are SQ, I know the male has a dq being he has only 4 toes on one foot. They are only 4 months so I guess I will wait and see how the next couple of months pans out. They still have pin feathers on their top knots so they look kinda silly right now. I would like a couple of white pullets, but they are hard to come by for sure.

Back
Top Bottom