INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hey y'all. I could really use some prayers for my English Bulldog Alfie. Today is about the 3rd day he hasn't wanted to eat. He's never missed a meal in his life. He's been acting pretty lethargic for the past few days as well. I dropped him off at the vet this morning and when they weighed him he was about 10 lbs lighter than his normal weight. He just turned 8 so I'm terrified that the vet is going to call me with bad news. I picked Alfie out when he was 3 days old and he's quite literally been the best dog on the planet. I don't know what I'd do without him. Please pray that whatever the vet finds is fixable.

Thanks!

I accidentally posted this in the parent thread. I prefer this thread as it has more activity than most. :)

Anyways......

Is This Normal??

So we presently have a very harmonious farm.....ALL the birds, dogs, calf, cats, kids......

However, not sure what to think about this one. My sweet kitty, Ruby, has decided that either she IS a chicken or they are her best friends. She is a little over a year old, and just loves hanging out with the chickens, and it is all playful. She rolls over on her back in front of them, lays by the coop, and now has decided to spend lots of time in the coop.
I really do not believe it is malicious at all, BUT.......

Even my rooster just lets her be. Should I stop this, or is this just 'normal'?

I accidentally posted this in the parent thread. I prefer this thread as it has more activity than most. :)

Anyways......

Is This Normal??

So we presently have a very harmonious farm.....ALL the birds, dogs, calf, cats, kids......

However, not sure what to think about this one. My sweet kitty, Ruby, has decided that either she IS a chicken or they are her best friends. She is a little over a year old, and just loves hanging out with the chickens, and it is all playful. She rolls over on her back in front of them, lays by the coop, and now has decided to spend lots of time in the coop.
I really do not believe it is malicious at all, BUT.......

Even my rooster just lets her be. Should I stop this, or is this just 'normal'?

If you plan to have chicks less than 6 weeks old in that area, I would be careful then. I would be careful about letting the cat anywhere near little chicks as cats like to eat chicks as much as they like to eat mice.

The khaki ducks have hatched. they were the second box the ebay person sent as the first was damaged by the PO. The sad thing is that the eggs were also damaged in the second box and only 3 hatched. But to my surprise one is not a khaki. It is black with a touch of yellow on its belly. It is also having a hard time walking. I tried the bandaid strap but then it just dragged its feet. All this to ask, does anyone on here want Khaki ducks and a black wobbly duck. They are a day old but eating already. I have to say I think they will be bigger than the hatchery khaki ducks. I was able to get 3 ducks from the first box and they are giant compared to my RIR chicks that are a week older. I'm asking $15 for the 2 khaki ducklings but the black one is free with the others.

Exactly. Doing that here too, I may not continue with GLW, so far, I am not happy with their temperament. I have spent a lot of time with this years chicks so I am hoping it made a difference.

Thanks!
Well I hope the turn out friendly. I hate when I spend so much time with a chick and then it becomes a little bratt. But I usually until they are 3-5 months old to see what their true temperment is, sometimes they trick you. But they there are others that are so mean when they are babies. Then I get rid of them.

If you plan to have chicks less than 6 weeks old in that area, I would be careful then. I would be careful about letting the cat anywhere near little chicks as cats like to eat chicks as much as they like to eat mice.
No, no chicks in that house. At this point, I am not even sure I am going to let chicks hatch, but possibly and if so they would be in a more contained area. Other than the chicks is it ok for her to be friends with the chickens??

Quote:
my cat and full grown chickens co exist. The cat has not tried to get to the eggs yet but he does not really have access to the nesting boxes either as we are always present when the hens are free ranging.
Every cat is different, I would suggest monitoring the cat and the egg count. As far as the cat killing or hurting your chickens, I'm guessing they might play games of who can spook who. My cat would get the jump on my rooster but then during the cat's nap he would get spooked out of his fits by a rooster all puffed up ready to attack. Then the owl got the roo and the cat is quite happy to chase the younger pan fry roos.

I have 3 sweet 17 week old Salmon Faverolles that are looking for a new home. They are very sweet, but maybe too docile for my big flock. I am looking for a home that either has Faverolles or is just starting out with chickens. They have not started laying yet, but probably within 6 weeks I would think.

We got them because they were supposed to be especially people friendly, and maybe they are but not within our large flock.

Here is a picture of one of them. I can get better pictures as well.

If interested, please let me know.

I have 3 sweet 17 week old Salmon Faverolles that are looking for a new home. They are very sweet, but maybe too docile for my big flock. I am looking for a home that either has Faverolles or is just starting out with chickens. They have not started laying yet, but probably within 6 weeks I would think.

We got them because they were supposed to be especially people friendly, and maybe they are but not within our large flock.

Here is a picture of one of them. I can get better pictures as well.

If interested, please let me know.

very pretty

Back
Top Bottom