INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

. Current Mille count for today is 7!!! I'm just so proud!! I was so tickled with raising the babies this year but having and watching this momma do it is absolutely fascinating!!! She talks to them and shows them how to eat and stuff, it's just sooo cute!! I've grown up with tons of momma cats and dogs , sheep and goats but the interaction is just so fun!! She is still sitting on 10 eggs!! Will see if they are just there or if she is actually sitting!

I now have a final tally on my 27 'Straight Run' hatchery chicks that I got this spring. The last two birds I was in denial about have started crowing and chasing my girls
barnie.gif
. 8 girls, 19 boys. Am I just unlucky, or does this seem like I beat the odds a bit much on this? Or should I say the odds have beaten me......
tongue.gif
Even with an extra boy or three thrown in for 'body heat', I would've expected to be just a bit on the low side of 50% female , definitely not on the low side of 30%. Has anyone else experienced this?

Oh, my, that is not nice. Yeah, I would sure hope for at least 50/50. Now what? Where you hoping for a bunch of eggs? More chickens? That's the up side, you can get more! I miss the chickies! Good luck

I now have a final tally on my 27 'Straight Run' hatchery chicks that I got this spring. The last two birds I was in denial about have started crowing and chasing my girls
barnie.gif
. 8 girls, 19 boys. Am I just unlucky, or does this seem like I beat the odds a bit much on this? Or should I say the odds have beaten me......
tongue.gif
Even with an extra boy or three thrown in for 'body heat', I would've expected to be just a bit on the low side of 50% female , definitely not on the low side of 30%. Has anyone else experienced this?

I got some from two different breeders for my heritage RIR. The first breeder's chicks were 3 roos and 2 girls. The secon's breeder's chicks were 4 roos and 2 girls. Now since neither of these breeders offers only female chicks, I have to think that the it was the luck of the draw. Maybe their hatches were 50/50 but the chicks they grabbed ended up being boys. Or maybe the hatches were more boys like some families have all boy children or all girl children.

Wow! I didn't know they could crow that early. Mine was almost 12 wks when he started. Too cute! I miss my babies, too. Time flies when having fun!

Yeah, my previous boys have started at around 7 weeks or older. The boy in the first video started crowing at a little over 3 weeks old, though. :th

They are so cute, but man do they every grow fast! Hard to believe just two months ago they looked like this:

Last edited:
. Current Mille count for today is 7!!! I'm just so proud!! I was so tickled with raising the babies this year but having and watching this momma do it is absolutely fascinating!!! She talks to them and shows them how to eat and stuff, it's just sooo cute!! I've grown up with tons of momma cats and dogs , sheep and goats but the interaction is just so fun!! She is still sitting on 10 eggs!! Will see if they are just there or if she is actually sitting!

Oh so adorable!! I hope my silkies do this!!!!

I hate to ask this but our flock has just been dropping off due to something. They are all perfectly fine then one day they just drop. Pullets, roos it doesnt matter. Tonight one of my sons birds is ill that is supposed to be going to fair in a couple weeks. I fear he wont make it so i am searching for a blue copper maran roo large fowl if anyone has one. Thank u!

Back
Top Bottom