INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

i had this idea last year I wanted chickens. I sold the idea to boyfriend by saying fresh eggs any extra roos is meat in the freezer. So he hopped on board and we got chickens. My oldest wanted peacocks. Fine if it will get you outside. We got ducks for the same reason. Lol then I had to have guineas. (Guard birds lol) and then I wanted goats for brush clean up. We decided to just sell any offspring we didn't need. Bf wanted boers so we got 2. And the buckling hates me :( so I'm thinging of selling and getting milk goats? But after I started thiking about everything. Id been hearing about additives hormones etc etc and now this. I'm thinking its time to get serious about raising them for meat not just pets. But Idk how that will go. We bought 4 turkeys day old straight run bf made it a point constantly to remind me we would only keep 1 tom. The rest would go in the freezer. I agreed. Ended up all 4 were toms I said to bf 1 day this is the 1 I want to keep when are we butchering the rest? He said WHAT? You really want to eat them? I was like that was the deal. Needless to say I still have my boys. Well except 1. He allowed me to sell him. To a guy that wasn't going to eat him. Lol

Originally Posted by PeacefulWalls

About 35 years ago, my wife and I drove down to Louisville and bought 50 or 100 baby quail. They were in a box. We stopped at her Grandmother's house to borrow a canary cage to put them in. I set the cage and box on a ping pong table in the basement and scooped up a double handful of baby quail and put them in the cage. Got another handful to put in the cage and noticed that quail were running all over the table. They didn't even slow down as they ran through the 1/2" spacing of the cage wires. I finally got them all back in the box, but it was hard because I was laughing so hard that my eyes teared up. Added some screen wire to the cage and brought them home.

I enjoyed raising them. I kept them in a covered pen so they wouldn't fly away. It had solid sides and a top covered with 2" chicken wire. There was a snow storm that winter and a drift allowed them to walk up, through the wire and out. Couldn't catch them and they eventually disappeared. I fed them, but by spring they had all disappeared.

Quail are no trouble at all to raise. The only thing to remember is that they are small and adults can get though a 2" hole. Babies can get through a dime-sized hole.

Stop being a grinch and get your daughter a dozen or so. How can you possibly say no to a 14-year old girl? I had 3, I know. Now I have 5 granddaughters. Can't say no to them either.

John
big_smile.png
It's easy to say no sometimes -- like when she says she wants a cow because she wants something to milk! She also thinks we need to have more than 3 breeds of rabbits -- as in some of all 48 or however many there are because she wants to study for her rabbit registrar exam & later rabbit judge license and she needs to raise each and every breed to get to know them... oh my...
It is good to know about the cage wire size -- how funny -- quail ping pong balls running around! And thanks to Brad, it sounds like our quail eggs are on their way to his place to be hatched!
highfive.gif

OMG! Has anybody here been on the FB group Ameraucana Chickens? Never again! The most critical, snobby @$$es Ive ever "met" Holy crap. I posted a pic of one of my Ameraucana chicks and people are fighting and being rude and have thier noses in the air! More snide comments and "advice" that I never asked for in my life! Even after I made it very clear I didn't want opinions! Oh did I mention that someone on the page said the people on BYC are not friendly???? I've NEVER had a snide remark or harsh word on BYC. I love this place! Sorry people. Had to vent!

Itsjustme,

Yes, that is how mad cow disease spread. Heat doesn't kill the pathogen that causes mad cow disease and the pathogen resides in the brain and spinal cord of the cow. When ground, dessicated, and mixed with feed and fed to cattle, those that ate the infected feed SOMETIMES caught the disease. People that ate the brains of infected cows COULD then catch it. It actually happened very much less that all the hyper news would lead you to believe, but it could have become a serious problem. Many, many more people died of bee sting than mad cow disease and now it is almost eradicated.

John

OMG! Has anybody here been on the FB group Ameraucana Chickens? Never again! The most critical, snobby @$$es Ive ever "met" Holy crap. I posted a pic of one of my Ameraucana chicks and people are fighting and being rude and have thier noses in the air! More snide comments and "advice" that I never asked for in my life! Even after I made it very clear I didn't want opinions! Oh did I mention that someone on the page said the people on BYC are not friendly???? I've NEVER had a snide remark or harsh word on BYC. I love this place! Sorry people. Had to vent!

Go right ahead! You are not the first person that has said that. They made me not want to have the breed! I just asked a simple question and WOW! Won't be going back there again.
After seeing the lovely colors and cold hardy nature, I am looking at them again. but sure NOT from any of those rude people.

Go right ahead! You are not the first person that has said that. They made me not want to have the breed! I just asked a simple question and WOW! Won't be going back there again.
After seeing the lovely colors and cold hardy nature, I am looking at them again. but sure NOT from any of those rude people.
Ok so now I feel better. I though I was the only one feeling that way. The president of the Ameraucana breeders club told me my chicks were Easter Eggers because the were not a recognized color......then posted a pic of her Chocolate Ameraucanas! About fell out of my chair! NOT A RECOGNIZED COLOR! LOL Yep, I called her out! LOL Won't go back. I love my Ameraucanas. They are a great breed. Hope you do look at them again. : )

Itsjustme,

Yes, that is how mad cow disease spread.  Heat doesn't kill the pathogen that causes mad cow disease and the pathogen resides in the brain and spinal cord of the cow.  When ground, dessicated, and mixed with feed and fed to cattle, those that ate the infected feed SOMETIMES caught the disease.  People that ate the brains of infected cows COULD then catch it.  It actually happened very much less that all the hyper news would lead you to believe, but it could have become a serious problem.  Many, many more people died of bee sting than mad cow disease and now it is almost eradicated.

John.
Thank you for the info. Someone told me that's how it started but I had never looked into it until tonight. Everythimg I read (which honestly wasn't much) said no1 nos how it started. Its highly contagious. Basically I felt like they were saying be afraid be very afraid. The lies are scary the way you explained it not so much. But I do still like the idea of raising my own food. When I was young my grandparents always butched chickens, put out a garden, some times they would raise a pig to put in the freezer for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom