INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I was in there last week and they had their first batch in. RIR and EE, but those sold out quickly. I was told Tuesday or Wednesday they would have another shipment. It's that time of the year, I plan to raise some chick's this year but not yet
Purposefully made myself NOT got to RK while down in the Jeffersonville area yesterday for fear I wouldn't be able to resist if they had chicks. Turns out it was a good thing as last night my mom sent me a message asking me to come out (Oregon) at the end of this month and I don't think DH/DS would appreciate being left holding the bag with a brooder full of chicks while I'm away. I do intend to add the to the flock this year, but guess we'll start the new birds sometime in March.

I've never used Sevin. Scares me to use anything like that. I love my bees and my neighbors have bee farms so I'd hate to hurt them. I use Ivomec and DE.
I have used it on new hen that come here with bare backs, if it is mite related. Works without any problems. We don't keep bee's and dont know of any around either, so that's not a problem here. Our TSC only carries a 2 lb thing of DE, and they want ... I forgot, but it was way too much for 2 lbs. So a old farmer told me about 7 and that is what I have been using.

Good I'm glad you enjoyed it. I want folks to realize these are unique and respectable creatures...not just chicken-killers and roadkill ;-)
My LGD caught one a couple of weeks ago that weighed nineteen pounds! A big boy!
119 lbs is big. My LGD's just tell me they are here and I go and take care of it, unless I'm not home and then ....well they take care of it. I don't really want them to do it. Don't want to take a chance on them getting bit and sick. I felt bad and still do every time I clean and medicate my LGD's neck. He is still healing from killing the Coyote that attacked me. Don't get me wrong... I'm glade he was here and he done his job, but I still feel bad about putting him in that position in the first place.

The face injury is healed but the hair is growing back in Black??? the neck injury still has a little way to go before it is completely healed.

Gorgeous! I am pretty full up, would take him but just way too far for me to travel.
On the sevin dust, I have used it in nest boxes and dust bathing areas too. I haven't seen an issue it causing a problem, but can see it could. Probably a personal choice situation.
Thanks. I found him a home with 24 hens and all the free ranging he can handle, so I'm happy about that, he is a sweet boy.
Glad you have used it in the boxes, I'm going to put some in tonight.

Everyone ready for the next big snow? We have 4-8 inches predicted here, will be adding bedding to all the coops and housing tomorrow. Getting time to buy hay rolls again, 4 large 6ft rolls has lasted a full year. Laying has picked up quite well, I had about 2 dozen eggs today
yesss.gif
My oldest, 3 year old EE hen Bunny is sitting in the nest box, usually that's a good sign that the rest will be laying soon too.
My Bunny as a pullet: just adore her, lots of gorgeous chicks from her the last 2 years.
I'm not ready for any snow, I hate snow, but o well... all my pens have snow free zones, guess I'll get to test them out now. and I'll get to test out my netting as far as the snow plieing up on it??? Some members were wondering about that, but this is the first year having nets up so I told them I would let them know, so now I can. So far It has not been a problem but we are going from snow to rain and back to snow and so on right now so nothing piling up any place yet. So I guess my houses and pens are AS READY AS POSSIBLE. o darn sorry, I hit to big letter button... lol

ZIONSVILLE PROPOSES TO LIMIT CHICKENS!!!

Did you see tonight's CBS 4 news? I've attached a link below.
This Monday is a town council meeting, and they will be voting on an ordinance to limit residents within the Urban Service District (I cannot find a map of this area.) to SIX HENS, no roosters, and no free ranging. Meeting info: Monday, February 2nd, 7:00 pm in the Beverly Harves Meeting Room, Zionsville Town Hall, 1100 West Oak Street, Zionsville, IN 46077.

On Town Council's website, I find mention of "urban service area" when it comes to wastewater and Ray's Trash. My house does have Ray's service, but not Zionsville for wastewater. So, I don't know if "urban service area" and "urban service district" are synonymous.

Whether this proposed ordinance would govern my area of Zionsville is irrelevant to me. I personally do not want to see these limits brought, especially given the ordinance would take IMMEDIATE effect, and there has been no time for the public to hear this information and act on it. I see no mention of this topic on the 1/5/2015 meeting agenda, and it is listed under "New Business" for this Monday's meeting. Though the public may have the opportunity to comment at that time, I feel that public has the right to have time to gather, provide input, and make their feelings known. I believe that anyone with chickens or planning to have chickens (ours arrive the week of April 6th) should be at that meeting to show our support for chicken keeping in Zionsville!

Please let me know if you can attend this meeting and if you can pass along this info to your Zionsville chicken keeping friends. I plan to be there!

http://cbs4indy.com/2015/01/30/chic...ionsville-town-council-to-consider-new-rules/

Thanks,
Diana Heiss
[email protected]
BackYardChickens.com handle: Zionsville
I would hate those limits
fl.gif
they don't get that pushed through. I live in T H and we aren't allowed Chickens in town at all. So glad I live in the country!!

Ok so at Rural King in Martinsville and they are filling the chick bins starting Monday Black Austrolop pullets, Welsummer St run, RIR pullets, Golden Laced and Silver Laced Wyandotte pullets, buff orp pullets, Barred Rock Pullets, hatchery choice assorted St run, "Araucana" pullets
and it has began...... I must hide.....
hide.gif
I cant look without getting.

morning everyone....finally got some sleep...figured I would share some updated pics

hawk the one that got sick and almost died.....is one of my favs....and is in the middle of the barred rock looking chickens....shes doing great....im glad she made it
Love the pic's and everyone elses pic's as well. is that a recent pic? You have that much snow already?? I'm so sorry
hugs.gif

Quote:
lau.gif
Funny you mention that, he is very attracted to one of my pekin hens too
roll.png
this tom is young lol hope he gets his head together soon.

morning everyone....finally got some sleep...figured I would share some updated pics

hawk the one that got sick and almost died.....is one of my favs....and is in the middle of the barred rock looking chickens....shes doing great....im glad she made it
Great pics! Glad your hen has recovered.

Hey, all, sorry I went inactive for a few days! I honestly was sure that my old Cubby was on her way out and I didn't feel like posting much. She spent the past couple days with almost no appetite, not even wanting to eat the scrambled eggs I'd prepared for her. Yesterday, she decided to start eating again, and today she's eating like a cow! You know, like usual!
lol.png
Looks like she still has some fight left in her!

My Violet, who had a partial prolapse a few days ago, is back at 100% as well. I found the remains of a soft egg in one of the nests last night, but I don't know if that was her or not. I'm keeping on top of the oyster shell at the moment, making sure everyone has plenty of it if they want it. I don't like feeding layer feed because of the various ages in my flock, so the oyster shell is their main source of calcium.

We've got a nice, deep, wet, sloppy snow happening now.
hmm.png
But everyone's well in spite of it. I would have said happy, but the ducks don't have their pool, so they are definitely not happy.
roll.png
Poor abused critters.

Oh, and speaking of ducks, for those of you that have them, is it normal for a duck to kind of make a nest before she's even started laying? And does this mean she's thinking about laying her first egg? Trudi's been shaping a bowl-like spot in the bedding at the back corner of their temporary pen for a few days now. And she's also been very, err, needy with Malcolm as well.
hide.gif
Relieved to say only about an inch here so far.
fl.gif
hope we slide by without much more.
Sounds to me like you may see eggs very soon!

Hello all, we will be adding a couple Boar withers as 4H projects and we have 3 Nubians that are very close to kidding out any time. Also we will be adding some sex links to the flock whenever we come across some chicks. My place got about 12"-14" of snow today, everyone is doing good here hope the same for all of you! "by the way I have seahawks taking it all the way"

lol good luck. The problem is allot of people don't know the difference. I have went places to buy them and they have always turned out to me EE's and when you inform the owners of that fact they tend to get upset that you are insulting their birds. So actual breeders are the best, IMO.
idunno.gif
Yea no kidding. Long shot but thought I'd try. I lost my blue cock bird and would really like another. I like EEs too, but want a purebred Am boy to go with my girl.

Edit: So sorry about your dog...wow you had a coyote attack you??? That had to be scary. And no, I don't encourage my dog to catch and kill predators but he loves to kill the opossums...sigh.

Last edited:
Hello all, we will be adding a couple Boar withers as 4H projects and we have 3 Nubians that are very close to kidding out any time. Also we will be adding some sex links to the flock whenever we come across some chicks. My place got about 12"-14" of snow today, everyone is doing good here hope the same for all of you! "by the way I have seahawks taking it all the way"

I would LOVE some snow. Not a bit here...just mud and rain and I'm sick to death of it. Go Seahawks...hope Brady loses his head!

Thats WAY too much snow, course I think 1 in. is too much lol.

Yea no kidding. Long shot but thought I'd try. I lost my blue cock bird and would really like another. I like EEs too, but want a purebred Am boy to go with my girl.

Edit: So sorry about your dog...wow you had a coyote attack you??? That had to be scary. And no, I don't encourage my dog to catch and kill predators but he loves to kill the opossums...sigh.
I have been looking for 2 years for one I can afford and close by. Every time I go to look at one it's an EE.... Oh well I keep looking.
The Coyote was sick ( distemper) and I got too close trying to chase it off my horse, my fault I should have just got my gun... but thinking back I probably would have shot my horse, that would not have been good!!

I would LOVE some snow. Not a bit here...just mud and rain and I'm sick to death of it. Go Seahawks...hope Brady loses his head!
I'm sorry but IMO I think you are nuts... WANTING snow.... each to his own I guess.... lol I am sick of the mud too but would rather have it given the choice I'll take mud.

Back
Top Bottom