INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

This is my foop. Is it just me or dose she look like she has a piece of toilet paper stuck to her foot. Blaha ha
1f602.png

Poll for the group.  I asked about this neighbor once before, but things have gotten worse (for her chickens and quite likely for ours) since then.

Our neighbor, the one who had two roos taken Friday night by what now have been determined to be coyotes (seen on OUR property the next morning), has apparently gone away for the weekend and left her two outside chickens unattended.  No food.  No water.  In a chain link dog fence for the hen, and in a small cat crate for the roo (he can't even lay down or stretch his wings).  I brought her hen in last night because I was certain she'd be picked off otherwise--she perches on top of the chain link fence at night, but of course can't see, and I know my neighbor is too ill-informed to know this.

This morning as I returned the hen (having left the neighbor a note on her front door about what we learned about the coyote, and why I brought her hen in my garage overnight), I noticed the hen's pen had no water, and the roo had no food or water.  I watered the roo through the crate, but he's been crated HIS WHOLE LIFE since a chick, and I have no idea what his mental state is, so I didn't feel comfortable reaching back to grab his bowl.  Oh, and his crate is left in full sun all day.  Every day.

I'm obviously bothered about all this for a multitude of reasons, but what I want to do when she gets back is talk her into signing over her remaining chickens to me in exchange for me not turning her in for animal neglect.  (Her dog and cat are in the house, with her banty and possibly two other hens--if they didn't get eaten first.)  I don't have a problem with her keeping them inside as long as they have food and water they can't knock over--the stink is her problem--but I don't think she is mentally "right" and shouldn't have chickens at all.  Her dog and cats appear healthy.  I've handled her dog and seen her cats from a few feet away.  I don't know why she didn't put the crated roo inside the pen with the other hen, since the roos that picked on it are now dead, but in any case, she does not use food/water containers that are appropriate for chickens.  They get knocked over all the time.

She assured me she was going to bring ALL of them inside Saturday when I told her about her roos being killed.  She didn't.  And she apparently left town with someone else and made no arrangements for their care, and there is no way she filled up the hen's water container (which is huge) because it was still upright and bone dry.  It's an underbed storage box that did have a good bit of water in it a few days ago, but it's all since evaporated in the heat.

The owner is not an evil person, but she is one of the most braindead people I've ever met.  She was also too cheap to get anyone to mow her 1 acre lawn until we and her other neighbor finally shamed her into it, and she has NEVER contracted for trash service, which is vital where we live.  We have no tax-paid service, so trash just keeps piling up outside and I suspect inside her garage, since her car is never parked in there.

What would you do:

Nothing
Call authorities (we now have an animal neglect statute here)
Try my plan to just get her to give me her remaining 4-5 chickens (which I will promptly rehome)--adding that she admitted to me that she cannot afford even a small coop.
Something else??

In the meantime, what are some ways we can protect our birds from coyotes when they run out of her easy-grab McNuggets next door?

THANKS!
I would try talking nice to her to try and get them but don't tell about re-homing them.

It is my understanding that because of the Avian flu scare, tomorrow the Indiana Board of Animal Health will issue a temporary emergency order that restricts movement of live birds into or out of Indiana as well a within the state to an event or exhibition where birds will be co-mingled for 90 days. This order cancels the poultry and pigeon show at the State Fair as well as county fairs (assuming my info is correct). I assume it will also eliminate poultry at swap meets and auctions.
Stinks for all the kids who have been raising poultry for the fair all year!

Matt
Was this from a reliable source? My meat bird chicks are supposed to arrive from the hatchery on Tuesday!
th.gif

Last edited:
BOAH did in fact announce no shows, exhibitions, or public sales of poultry, including swaps, flea markets, etc., likely through the end of 2015.

Private sales between individuals are fine.

Last edited:
Indiana Limits Bird Movements to Protect Against Avian Influenza
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
INDIANAPOLIS (27 May 2015)—To protect Indiana’s poultry from potential exposure to H5 avian influenza virus, the members of the Indiana State Board of Animal Health (BOAH) have ceased all bird movements to events in the state that allow commingling of birds from different locations. This includes shows, exhibitions and public sales (such as flea markets, swap meets, sale barns). This prohibition will stand until further notice, likely through the end of 2015.
The action does not apply to private sales between individuals.
“This was not a decision made lightly,” said Indiana State Veterinarian Bret D. Marsh, DVM. “The spread of the H5 viruses has been unprecedented, and our goal is to protect the health of small, backyard poultry flocks as much as our commercial industry from this disease.”
Highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI), while deadly to domestic poultry, does not present a food safety threat. Further, the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention has stated the virus poses little risk to human health.
Sixteen states, primarily in the Upper Midwest, have had diagnosed cases of HPAI, resulting in the deaths of more than 40 million birds. Indiana had a single, backyard flock diagnosed earlier this month.
Dr. Marsh explained that BOAH plans to open a public comment opportunity in June to receive input from poultry owners and others about strategies to reopen public shows and sales. “We are looking for ways to restore our public bird events in a way that will reduce or eliminate opportunities for disease to spread and threaten backyard flocks statewide.
Poultry owners who notice illness in their birds consistent with avian influenza are encouraged to call the Healthy Birds Hotline at 866-536-7593 to speak with a state or federal veterinarian.
Hoosiers who notice five or more dead feeder-type wild birds should contact the Indiana Department of Natural Resources at 812-334-1137.
More information about Indiana’s response to HPAI is online at: www.in.gov/boah/2390.htm .
##
CONTACT: Denise Derrer: 317-544-2414; email: [email protected]

Denise Derrer
Public Information Director
Indiana State Board of Animal Health
Discovery Hall, Ste. 100
1202 E. 38th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46205-2898
Phone: 317-544-2414
www.boah.in.gov

BOAH: Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza

IN.GOV

Because it specifies events with co-mingling, I would *think* that shipments direct from the hatchery would be exempt and fall more under the "sales between individuals" area.

Back
Top Bottom