INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Oh, no, not these, too!
hmm.png

Sorry to be raining on your parade all over the place!
tongue.png
Let my experience save you some frustration....Or the pretty eggs may be worth the frustration to some! Not to me!

:tongue

But seriously, the Isbars are so pretty, and those eggs... I might be able to forgive flightiness for them. And to be honest, after having Silkies, nothing is too broody. :lol: The health thing might be iffy, but I'd give them a shot, anyway. After all, that's how I've learned what breeds I definitely want and definitely DON'T want at this point. :)

Last edited:
Not much new going on here. Working on coops to be ready for winter, looks like they think we are getting a bad one. I will have some ducklings for winter brooding so am going to need kiddie pools for brooders. They get so messy! I have 2 pools left that aren't dry rotted. Hope to see some on clearance some where but am sure its too late.

I've heard conflicting messages from several sources about predictions for this winter. Scientists say that a record-setting El Nino is forming in the ocean, meaning a dry, warm winter for us. On the other hand, the Farmer's almanac says we'll get a repeat of last year with lots of snow and cold temperatures.

In any case, guess I'll get the snow blade on the tractor sometime in October. I don't want to be caught off guard! I'd rather have it and not need it, than curse the whole time I'm manually shoveling the drive!

Yeah, I've pretty much decided the hens will move into the garage, maybe the basement, if we have a winter like the last two. :/ I am over dealing with the snow. I'm really hoping the scientists are right. Warm and dry sounds heavenly! :lol:

Well this is day 3 for my sick/beat-up hen, she is still breathing bad but with her mouth closed instead of open, she eats and drinks fine, Just cant get her breathing right, I am giving her Sulfadimethoxine. The bottle says 1 dropper daily, its from the vet for a bird that had a respiratory issue last spring. I cant remember how long it took before her was feeling better. Do ya think I'm rushing it? Should I try something else or not? I do not want to lose this hen.

New kitten has already caught a mouse!

Somebody dumped a 10-12wk-old kitten at a neighbor's house, and so they brought it to our house while I was at school and my parents were watching my 6-yr-old son because they knew we were looking for a cat. Ta-da! The providence of God! First thing when I come in the door: kitten eating a mouse! Yay! Gave her a piece of lunchmeat and got the mouse away from her (just in case) and have already given her a first round of wormers 'cause she's gassy. She's super sweet, too, and that never hurt a kitty's chances either :D

New kitten has already caught a mouse!

Somebody dumped a 10-12wk-old kitten at a neighbor's house, and so they brought it to our house while I was at school and my parents were watching my 6-yr-old son because they knew we were looking for a cat. Ta-da! The providence of God! First thing when I come in the door: kitten eating a mouse! Yay! Gave her a piece of lunchmeat and got the mouse away from her (just in case) and have already given her a first round of wormers 'cause she's gassy. She's super sweet, too, and that never hurt a kitty's chances either :D

We have 4 barn cats. They are all good at catching stuff. I tried to rehome one this past summer. No one local seemed to want him.

I still have the 1.5 year old gray fixed male barn cat if anyone else is looking for a good mouse catcher. My children kept a grey kitten this past summer so I'm thinking one of our adult cats should move on.

Back
Top Bottom