INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

The one that hatched earlier this week is alive but doesn't seem to be eating or drinking, so I put the other two chicks in with it last night after trying (and failing) to get it to eat and drink by "pecking" at the food/water. The smaller of the two older chicks had been lagging behind Thanksgiving, who was much bigger and more "assertive" (read: "bully"). And because thanksgiving was picking on those two, I separated him from them last night... and found the second chick dead this morning. Not sure what happened. Just makes me want to throw in the towel.

I'm sorry to hear that, Indyshent. I wish I had words of encouragement for you, but I came on to say I just found one of my 6 month old jennies dead. :(

My jake Cinnamon has hit puberty, strutting, gobbling, and trying to mount the females. Even a chicken.
1f644.png
So I found him trying to mount Cornbread, and she was holding very still, and then I just knew she was dead. I don't know if he killed her, or just happened upon her body. If she wasn't feeling well, he could have finished her off. None of them have been very happy in this cold weather, but I didn't think she was sick. Sigh.

Exciting morning for us!! One of our pullers laid her first egg!! I don't know if it was the Brahma Buff, Blue Orpington, or Wellsummer, but they all got thanked and given extra love this morning! Not a bad haul for the morning after a hard freeze either!

Exciting morning for us!! One of our pullers laid her first egg!! I don't know if it was the Brahma Buff, Blue Orpington, or Wellsummer, but they all got thanked and given extra love this morning! Not a bad haul for the morning after a hard freeze either!

Not a bad haul at all! That tiny one is hilarious! I don't think I've ever seen one so small.

Who lays the beautiful blue one?

Not a bad haul at all! That tiny one is hilarious! I don't think I've ever seen one so small.

Who lays the beautiful blue one?

I've never seen one so small either
1f602.png
I saw it on the ground and had to shoo everyone away to get to it before they trampled it. It was already cracked. When I opened it it had virtually no yolk, but the dog liked it haha. The blue one came from Lucille, one of our two EEs.

My only two good blue egg layers were EEs too. I have tried 5 Ameraucanas and 4 cream Legbars, and only gotten green eggs from all of them. I've had better luck (50%) getting blue eggs from the breed that can lay any color.
1f644.png

Back
Top Bottom