INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

We are at winter solstice, actually was the 21st! This is the shortest time of year for daylight. My leghorn are still laying and several RIR.
How are your hens doing, what breeds? I have 2 EE still laying also.

8 RIR getting 1-2 eggs a day, but 2 are in molt as well so I feel lucky to be getting any at all
1f600.png

Anyone Have Call Ducks For sale? Also looking for any breed of ducks, quails and would love pheasants. Would also love to buy eggs for hatching! Please message me if you do!

We are at winter solstice, actually was the 21st! This is the shortest time of year for daylight. My leghorn are still laying and several RIR.
How are your hens doing, what breeds? I have 2 EE still laying also.

I've been averaging 2 eggs a day with 2 RIR, 2 BSL, and 2 EE/ameraucanas. Haven't seen a green egg yet this month so I'm guessing the last two shut down altogether.

Happy to report that despite some pretty cold temps earlier in the month, only one of my girls got a tiny touch of frostbite on her comb. Just the very tip of one of the long fingers and it looks like it healed up already. Thanks to all for the advice early on when I was designing my coop. I'm certain it made all the difference!

Several girls still laying here. Most don't lay every day, but I get 2 to 6 eggs daily. Three turkeys are laying now so I get at least one egg from them every day. The Maran and several ee lay most days. Most of the eggs, however, get hoarded by the broody turkey or eaten by some nefarious coop denizen.

I'm getting one or two a day from the most volatile layers in my flock, the Silkie girls. I say volatile because at any moment, they could switch from laying to being broody. :rolleyes: And little miss sassy pants Cochin bantam, Donna, is laying pretty well, too. The rest of the big girls are on vacation, I guess, and the 7-and-a-half month old pullets are STILL not laying. Bunch'a freeloaders!

Speaking of eggs, it's day 14 on my silkied Cochin eggs in the incubator. 5 of 5 embryos wiggling around in their shells, weights are pretty good, and air cells look to be the right size! :celebrate

Been very preoccupied working on getting a house in better shape for sale. Tearing wallpaper down, repairing walls, getting ready to paint, etc. And then another close friend's death and funeral on New Year's Eve day.....

Anyhow, wanted to say Happy New Year to y'all.

new-year-confetti-smiley-emoticon.gif

@jchny2000

I know it's hard when you're in the process of taking care of parents (ask me how I know...) Anyhow, wanted to just say thank you for caring for your parents while you are able. You'll look back and be glad you did after all the unknown is known.

old-person-helped-to-walk-smiley-emoticon.gif

Question, but I won't be back on for a few days probably to see your answers.

Anyone raise Khaki Campbells? If so, your experience, please.
-Do they really lay as well and prolifically as they say?
-How do you keep their winter home from becoming a nasty mess?
-Do they go outside in the winter or want to stay under shelter?

Back
Top Bottom