INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I have hard time with ordering anything to ship through the mail. If you're looking at hatchery birds, why not wait until the TSC and/or Rural King has chicks? They are often brought in from some semi-local hatcheries and you can pick the live chicks that you can see how they are doing.

Some places order only chicks that you want and pool all the orders together so they come in all at once. Then you pick them up the day they arrive so they never go into public bins.

I got my first chickens that way - by ordering at a place that you pre-order then pick up on the day of arrival. They were still using the same hatchery as RK and TSC, but they were never in the public bins. That was 5 years ago and I still have 3 of those girls. (2 I re-homed and may still be going strong today...I don't know for sure).

And, of course, it saves the shipping cost!

I have hard time with ordering anything to ship through the mail.  If you're looking at hatchery birds, why not wait until the TSC and/or Rural King has chicks?  They are often brought in from some semi-local hatcheries and you can pick the live chicks that you can see how they are doing.

Some places order only chicks that you want and pool all the orders together so they come in all at once.  Then you pick them up the day they arrive so they never go into public bins. 

I got my first chickens that way - by ordering at a place that you pre-order then pick up on the day of arrival.  They were still using the same hatchery as RK and TSC, but they were never in the public bins.  That was 5 years ago and I still have 3 of those girls.  (2 I re-homed and may still be going strong today...I don't know for sure).

And, of course, it saves the shipping cost!

I orderd some from orcilins like were you pick what you want and they bring them there. I ordered 10 bantams brand and 2 polish and they sent around 50 chickens in total for me and I got first pick out of all of them and I only lost one and it was an extra that I bought. It died at 2 month because he/she was smashed under the rest

@Leahs Mom I got all of our current hens from Rural King, and we have had very good luck with them. I just wanted to get an earlier start on growing the chicks this year, as last year we didn't start getting eggs until the last of August. We have layers now, so the wait won't be as rough, however I have some people interested in buying eggs faster than I am getting them now.

I was very surprised to see that the RK that is closest to me (just across the line in Niles, MI) got their chicks starting in February last year. Wonder what the start date will be this year...

I've missed a lot on here. Been pretty busy. My dad had more vertebrae fused in his neck on the 29th. Been making the 45 min drive to take care of him since his wife went back to work. It's been nice taking my youngest and spending time with him. Helped him a little with his few hens too. He hasn't gotten eggs for a while, but mine are starting to lay again. One brown and one green just about everyday out of 4 hens. They've been getting lots of treats for it :)

Hello everyone, I joined this group awhile ago but it's been forever since I've discussed anything. I've just been lurking..
1f60e.png
But I just got a new incubator a mini brinsea. I'm super excited and wanted to find some local hatching eggs. I live by Franklin IN, which is 30 mins south on Indy. Does anybody close by have any fertile eggs they want to sell? Thanks in advance. I'm open to diffrent breeds or mixes that would be good layers and they are just for our small backyard flock.

Very happy with the pretty colors our three surviving poults are coming into. Each is very different and quite lovely. Wonderful personalities! Had to throw out all of the eggs in the incubator. Too many diffuculties, I suppose, because no one else was hatching.

Repaired netting over the run as best as I could and had to bring cat food out with me to toss because the turkeys were nibbling at my boots and filching stuff from my pockets! Still don't know what took Tint but it's still occasionally under my house and drives the dog crazy. Tried to block it in and am still paying for it. Recovery is coming so slowly...

In other news, I think the lone surviving Polish is a rooster! Waiting for him and the other cockerel (blue Sumatra/Marans/EE) to grow up and start feeling their oats even more. Going to make some pretty babies someday. The cream Leg bar roo is nice enough but gets frostbite quite often for seemingly every reason and he loves to crow around 2 am for a few hours... plus, no fertile eggs since he's been main man on campus. Just ask all my broodies.

Hello everyone, I joined this group awhile ago but it's been forever since I've discussed anything. I've just been lurking..
1f60e.png
But I just got a new incubator a mini brinsea. I'm super excited and wanted to find some local hatching eggs. I live by Franklin IN, which is 30 mins south on Indy. Does anybody close by have any fertile eggs they want to sell? Thanks in advance. I'm open to diffrent breeds or mixes that would be good layers and they are just for our small backyard flock.
@secretevo Welcome back! We have many members in the greater Indy area. Someone who may have eggs or may know someone closer to Franklin is @racinchickins

Welcome to the Indiana Thread! @Seroma Sentinel The only member who I can think of is @pbirdhaven Are you looking for a certain breed? Or certain area of Indiana? Here are some links that may help you: Central Indiana Poultry Show | Facebook Indiana State Poultry Association
For anyone interested, here is information about Frostbite:

Hi I just joined and I'm idesperate need of a new hampshire rooster in late March please help I'm located in Anderson

Do you already have a flock? If it were me, seeing as how I don't know if any of us in Indiana have NHRs, I would contact a hatchery and order their minimum. I would spend the money on a male and then get the rest females. It may seem like more $$$ but if you could get one now and raise it in your garage or something, you know you will have one come March, just maybe not as big or old as you wanted. Plus, you would be able to hand raise him from a chick and hopefully get him to have a good personality.

Back
Top Bottom