INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I have 4 phases of chicks in the coop now

12 weeks
9 weeks
6 weeks
And 4 weeks

They all eat the same feed. Will it hurt the older ones to stay on grower/ finisher or change and the little ones start early on layer? Or do I need to keep them apart?

How/when did you mix them? I have week old and 4 week old chicks I would like to mix at some point.

They are all in the coop together. As the group in the brooder became about 4 weeks or full feathered I took them out to the coop. They all seem to stay in their own "group" as of age. The oldest/biggest ones do chase the others around when it comes to food and treats. But, for the most part, they all get along.

They are all in the coop together. As the group in the brooder became about 4 weeks or full feathered I took them out to the coop. They all seem to stay in their own "group" as of age. The oldest/biggest ones do chase the others around when it comes to food and treats. But, for the most part, they all get along.
That's what I tend to see every year. The "teens" hang together & the hens have their own group while free rnaging in the yard.. (They all come running for treats, though. The teens just stand a little further back.) About 20 weeks of age, the teens start to hang around the outer edge of the hen group. They eventually merge into one group - usually when the pullets begin to lay.

That's what I tend to see every year.  The "teens" hang together & the hens have their own group while free rnaging in the yard..  (They all come running for treats, though.  The teens just stand a little further back.)  About 20 weeks of age, the teens start to hang around the outer edge of the hen group.  They eventually merge into one group - usually when the pullets begin to lay.

Great info, thanks!

Sigh... I can see the appeal of a broody hen this morning. Ya know, since I am one today with 6 5 day old birds down my sweatshirt in the dark for the second time in 24 hours... power went out again...
1f611.png

Last edited:
How much scratching is normal? I see a lot of wing scratching and the wings seem bald ish but that might just be because they are getting big girl wings. I don't see any parasites but I'm worried.

How much scratching is normal? I see a lot of wing scratching and the wings seem bald ish but that might just be because they are getting big girl wings. I don't see any parasites but I'm worried.
Yes. That's probably normal. Those prickly feathers must not feel comfortable.

Sigh... I can see the appeal of a broody hen this morning. Ya know, since I am one today with 6 5 day old birds down my sweatshirt in the dark for the second time in 24 hours... power went out again...
1f611.png
lau.gif
Sorry about the power outages, but you certainly paint a funny mental image with your words. Keeping your sense of humor is the best way to get through "those" kind of days.

Back
Top Bottom