INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Here's Cookie (the Bantam Menace) otherwise nicknamed "Cookie Monster" when broody:

She's got 23 chicks with her in the brooder, 2 chicks still drying in the incubator, + 3 eggs with hatching status unknown.

Bantam Menace! I love it!!

Man, that is one great Mama hen. Makes me want to try brooding chicks that way. Unfortunately, it comes one week too late, because I just sold my broody bantam buff Cochin hen. I bet she would have done great. I do have two super broody Buff Ameraucanas though, and an order placed with Sandhill that is past due. (Supposed to ship June 12, so I guess I wait for the "alternate" date.) By the looks of my Ameraucanas, they may still be sticking it out long enough.

Happy Independence Day!

smiley-fireworks.gif
smiley-fireworks.gif

usa-flag.gif

@pipdzipdnreadytogo can you direct or suggest any ideas on breeders? I know you pretty much keep a closed flock.

Who had that cute duck named "Crashie" (or something similar)?
The egg dropped & had a small crack but still hatched into the cutest duck I'd ever seen!

Pipd has all the cutest birds!
@pipdzipdnreadytogo If you read this, how about another pic of Crashie? I'm not a waterfowl person, but I must admit those call ducks are precious! :love
....... and while you're posting pics.... Got any silkied cochins or Dork pics?

Whoa, sorry, y'all! Been a busy few weeks for me! I'm taking Physics 2 this summer--the last class I need for my Bachelor's degree--and it's been a whirlwind!

Call ducks. I actually got my original pair from the Central Indiana Poultry Show. There are always call ducks for sale there, but usually in pairs. You'll be hard pressed to find call hens without a drake for sale. As for eggs, there are always a ton for sale on eBay, but I had no luck with hatching shipped call eggs. They're tough enough to hatch without being shaken around by the P.O. Craigslist can be a good place to get adults, babies, or eggs, but you have to be careful--lots of mislabeled or misrepresented poultry is put up there. Good luck!

Crashie duck, yup, that's my girl. :) I wouldn't exactly call it a small crack in her egg--she ended up with about a nickel-sized patch of membrane only, cracks extending from that. Candle wax saved her. Unfortunately, not her siblings, who were malpositioned and couldn't hatch. :( To be honest, after trying and trying with them, and this spring losing Trudi for no apparent reason (she was just laying dead in the coop one morning), I'm thinking about just giving up on the calls. My two remaining are pets, so they aren't going anywhere, but I'm not sure how much more heartbreak I can take trying to build my duck flock. Sounds like other bantam ducks are just more hardy, though not quite as small. I suspect the extreme size has a lot to do with it. Supposedly, that's why they're so difficult to hatch, anyway. Teeny-tiny bills and short necks that can't reach properly to pip.

I've got to get pictures of the babies. They're 6-7 weeks old already, and my last pictures of them are from when they were 4-5 weeks old! :eek: I'm off today for the holiday, so I'll make it a goal to get pics of everyone. :)

Here's Crash, though. Li'l stinker. :lol:

Crash says hi 3-30-18.jpg

Yup, yup, yup.

fYQKBMxvLe4331riLc3dhv-Vlaf1z3cqO6QEBresDke-_Nvci6w9ntFNrV8UzSsIURzJsK7K7NKZJmoRrZFBUv0Yz_3ihra8JBFdJ8_wgsXmGmTihcgMJPtVwpSc3sjpokaf_kiLP58PPQqV1QhrxGqnv9crKOiaYA6c2OOgp5PDGfyoulkfxyc37touYtKVO4VHkijrEVzAYvzWTozRmKEF0wNUneGU0NBbhp8U412I0eS49RqnOW7G7o8NmEVMtSkNkRuP5BQ5XSMq5iCR2fhW0eePvF9wu8HRU6ySUn97Oj9N2zyJQ8btP6v4Q0UhYO9VbUulsUnZ42kPYBSOeLCd3gFU2hdjwNXMlihp13qY6J4pYYrzrg6qa9jxMvA_oOYHCfqjmhRRP_2mBEVN0Iw54RjtD9o4u_pNxiaVfp6awwvpYZTAiZK1Y7EFUBh80wfZAdScA7U37SP5g178SqvqJ1Ri1dZLCMA0blgwvhCC1qwR3mWWc-5oKB8oJHnqiL2qCJZGh3bq_10SDZQSILAe4t9C25yhQp0oyaAzfsFa3kjHWepR1bFWbqz4KXmzicJKxa9NQtRAWrcc02TLPkg6vPvLrMRXdtaR-Yg=w640-h480-no

Since Trudi passed away, I've been trying to get Crash and Malcolm to flock up. So far, all I've been able to do is get them to share a mud puddle. Once. Briefly. :rolleyes: I've been so busy that I haven't been able to get her out there lately, so I'll probably have to start over with that now. :hmm

mud puddle.jpg

I'll be sure to post here if I take more pictures today. :)

Pray for Pancake. She was missing this morning. Walked around the neighborhood but couldn't find her. Still hoping she comes back or starts calling so I can find her.

Just east of Indy here. Looking to re-home a cute little guy. 9-10 wk black Australorp.

Attachments

• 20180703_103156.jpg
    20180703_103156.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
Pray for Pancake. She was missing this morning. Walked around the neighborhood but couldn't find her. Still hoping she comes back or starts calling so I can find her.
Prayers for her!
Just east of Indy here. Looking to re-home a cute little guy. 9-10 wk black Australorp.
:welcome Welcome to BYC and our thread! :frow

Back
Top Bottom