INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

x2

I just ran out to the coop & grabbed a few turkey pics. about 9 weeks old. Their faces changed colors from the flash. I guess I'd be upset too if someone flashed bright lights at me when I was trying to sleep. LOL

White one (royal palm, maybe?)
"He" has the largest snood & neck flap. A tiny bit larger than the other 2. I also saw "him" strut once
white-9wks-jpg.1513947

Brown #1
1-brown9wks-jpg.1513945

Brown#2
2-brown9wks-jpg.1513946

#1 Definitely looks Royal Palm. Might get odd coloring later, but I wouldn't bet on that. Could go either way from that picture, but probably a guy.

#2 looks more like a guy to me, based mostly on posture and how it's regarding the camera. Girls sometimes adopt that posture if they're feeling threatened or trying to warn off predators though, so don't put money on this one either way. The definite pink gives it a tom cast for the moment, but if it's alarmed by the sudden night intrusion, flashing lights, or it's hot, those will often give pink casts to girls, too. Watch out for caruncle development.

#3 Of the trio, my money would go for this one as the certain hen. So far, this one cries, "I'm a pretty girl! Be gentle!" It might play an ace up its sleeve later, but I doubt it if that picture is any indication of its usual state.

The trick with the bronze coloring is that the chest feathers will be rimmed in black for boys and white for girls once they hit adult plumage. They aren't there just yet, but these three should start showing some puberty soon.

The order the pictures were shot in might also play a role. The flush to the face might have a certain threshold of time to take effect and then disappear once the bird realizes it's just mommy after all. In general, toms have redder faces more often than girls.

4 months is the usual definite threshold, and they don't often play those aces after that point.

My turkey poult pic needs a caption....
View attachment 1527269

"Well, what do we have *here*? I do trust that I'm not *interrupting* anything."

"Ugh, what *are* you wearing? *That* blouse with *those* slacks, and after Labor Day, no less!"

"What do you mean I wasn't invited to this gala? Apologize or I shall quit this establishment in a huff."

"Surely you've been called 'boorish' and 'dull' by civilized creatures before?"

In this particular shot, your Palm looks more ladylike. Ladies are more likely to give that oh-so-refined haughty, disdainful look. Toms look more directly and often like they mean to peck someone's eyes out. Boys are more likely to point their noses down and glare through their eyebrows, but girls are more likely to look down their uptilted noses at the world. Might be the age and camera angle.

Girls can be quite rosey of face but they never get as red as a tom can (blood-red, polished strawberries kinda red). Girls also tend to keep their bald bits from flopping out so much. They're daintier, have smaller caruncles, aren't as red (tend more to pink and especially faded blue denim), and aren't so saggy about the sacks, so to speak. More modest and circumspect, I suppose. They also keep more fuzz on their noggins, especially the top of their head. Snoods sometimes get to the quarter or half-inch length in girls, but you'll know it's a guy if it flops off the side of his head like a lazy bungee cord.

@Indyshent
Thanks for the gender predictions / advice

I'm thinking the white is male. His flap (wattle area) hangs lower & is darker red.... but of course changes color. Also, he's the leader of the trio.
All 3 walking to their cage.
img_2103-copy-jpg.1526992

He's mostly Blk/Wht but there are a couple tan areas. (Or he could have been sleeping under a roost. Icky!)
turkey-color-jpg.1526972

The other 2 browns:
img_2136-copy-jpg.1526995

img_2125-copy-jpg.1526993

This one was briefly fluffed out when Cookie (my broody bantam with chicks) started yelling at it.
img_2127-copy-jpg.1526994

and here's my silly Tillie. (a Leghorn, not a turkey but she's either near them or trying to chase them) I still don't know if she likes or hates the turkeys.
img_2122-jpg.1527006

The turkeys were hatched with 2 black chicks. At 1 week old, I already KNEW one chick was an obvious male. By 5 weeks, both had large hanging wattles & I changed my mind to 2 males.
img_1470-jpg.1527015

Now, I'm not so sure.
11 weeks old today:
Is this pic below a slow maturing male with a smallish pink comb..... or female with giant red wattles?
I can't find any saddle feathers. Head & body shape look feminine......but those wattles!
gender-ques-jpg.1527009

This lav (5+ weeks) has the same issue. Those wattles are screaming male, but the comb is still below the fluff/feather line. Any gender guesses?
IMG_2194 copy.jpg

Been pretty uneventful with all the rain, chickens are staying in the bushes and under trees. Geese and ducks are pretty happy about it tho! The cows don't care but my goats hate it. Came out to eat and ran right back to their stalls.
So DH and I spent the Friday & Saturday camper shopping. Yes in the rain, lol! Picked out a brand new smaller 30ft camper. Will find out Monday if we are going to buy it, terms etc. If so, we will start going through everything in the old big one and"de-junking" because I have less storage space. Not going to add a bunch of pics yet but we're really excited. I just got screenshots off the website. We'll have enough room for up to 10 people to sleep. With my daughters both married and a grandson, some camping weekends we have a big group.
floorplan.png
living kitchen.png

I Want more color for sure! Its ok but I love warm colors like peach and teal/blue. I added some things to my wish list already on Amazon, Target and Walmart. I prefer light color wood grain but it appears the trend is dark right now.

Last edited:
Hey all. I've not posted in awhile. I normally just read the comments by everyone here. I'm in Johnson county and I know you have all had tons of rain as well and this cold front came thru quick. Are any of your birds acting off their game due to this today? My bantam turken cockrel has himself all puffed up and not grazing with the girls. I saw him have a BM just now and it's pretty yellow and watery and actually looked kinda bubbly. Just curious if you guys are noticing anything similar after all the wetness.
IMG_20180910_130314054.jpg
IMG_20180910_130244523.jpg

Hey all. I've not posted in awhile. I normally just read the comments by everyone here. I'm in Johnson county and I know you have all had tons of rain as well and this cold front came thru quick. Are any of your birds acting off their game due to this today? My bantam turken cockrel has himself all puffed up and not grazing with the girls. I saw him have a BM just now and it's pretty yellow and watery and actually looked kinda bubbly. Just curious if you guys are noticing anything similar after all the wetness.View attachment 1530421 View attachment 1530422
Hi. That looks yellow and foamy?
According to the chicken chick it could be worms or parasites, a bacterial infection, kidney dysfunction, or a diet too high in protein.
Do others in your flock have poo like that?

https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/

No everyone else poo looks good from what I can tell. I was thinking maybe stress and they probably didn't eat good over the weekend with the rain they spent alot of time hiding in their coop. I'm hoping I was just over thinking it. Him being extra puffy could be because it's colder then he has ever felt since he is only 4 months or so now. I'm going to stay optimistic since I've had a pretty closed flock except some new showgirl chicks I got, BUT they have not been introduced yet. I may get a fecal sample to my work (vet) and have that tested just to be sure too. I really appreciate your thoughts.

Been pretty uneventful with all the rain, chickens are staying in the bushes and under trees. Geese and ducks are pretty happy about it tho! The cows don't care but my goats hate it. Came out to eat and ran right back to their stalls.
So DH and I spent the Friday & Saturday camper shopping. Yes in the rain, lol! Picked out a brand new smaller 30ft camper. Will find out Monday if we are going to buy it, terms etc. If so, we will start going through everything in the old big one and"de-junking" because I have less storage space. Not going to add a bunch of pics yet but we're really excited. I just got screenshots off the website. We'll have enough room for up to 10 people to sleep. With my daughters both married and a grandson, some camping weekends we have a big group.
View attachment 1529053 View attachment 1529054
I Want more color for sure! Its ok but I love warm colors like peach and teal/blue. I added some things to my wish list already on Amazon, Target and Walmart. I prefer light color wood grain but it appears the trend is dark right now.
Your new camper is awesome looking. I'm sure you will get some color added to the decor easily. It will be nice for you guys to have something new to go out and enjoy after having the older one for so long.

No everyone else poo looks good from what I can tell. I was thinking maybe stress and they probably didn't eat good over the weekend with the rain they spent alot of time hiding in their coop. I'm hoping I was just over thinking it. Him being extra puffy could be because it's colder then he has ever felt since he is only 4 months or so now. I'm going to stay optimistic since I've had a pretty closed flock except some new showgirl chicks I got, BUT they have not been introduced yet. I may get a fecal sample to my work (vet) and have that tested just to be sure too. I really appreciate your thoughts.
Sounds like a plan. :)

Back
Top Bottom