INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

That makes a lot more sense. My young orpington cockerel was hatched last summer, so this spring all of his orp pullets looked like naked necks. They finally grew back their feathers and are looking good again. Sadly, the hens he's covering are not giving me fertile eggs. He's been mating, but not mastered it yet. My orps mature very slowly, and it took his father a full year before his females were fertile.

I put hen saddles on a few pullets, because the boys always have their favorites.
Oh my naughty young roo sure deliver look at the three cuties he created 😍 Mom was a green egger and my roo is a blue egger. He was supposed to be a hen but somehow they made a mistake when they sexed him so since he was supposed to lay blue eggs we call him Blue.

Attachments

• chick yellow.jpg
    chick yellow.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 6
  • hello cutie.PNG
    hello cutie.PNG
    656.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Brothers.PNG
    Brothers.PNG
    642.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I am trying to rehome three cutie rooster bantam.
I have 1 OE Bantam and 2 D'Uccle Bantam. They were raised together and they are about 6 months old. I am located near Indianapolis International airport. If someone is interested please let me know. They are beautiful rooster but I only have 2 female bantam not enough to have roosters.

Attachments

• D'Uccle brothers.PNG
    D'Uccle brothers.PNG
    753 KB · Views: 4
  • D'Uccle Porcelain 2.png
    D'Uccle Porcelain 2.png
    722.5 KB · Views: 2
  • OE Bantam.jpg
    OE Bantam.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 1
View attachment 2187779
finally here are some. The heat plate does get messy but its so much safer than a heat lamp.
I way prefer heat plates/ mama heating pads over heat lamps! Although I still have a “first stop” brooder tub in my garage with a medium watt heat bulb in it, because it is easier to keep an eye on chicks for their first few days, keeping them front and center in there. Then they move to brooders in my various coops where they have mama heating pads. I have not sprung for the heat plate like you have yet. I’ve just gone the DIY route and it does fine. I am tempted to get one though. People really rave about theirs.
Thanks! No will be a few weeks at least.
What do you look for to tell? With my Brown Chinese, they were adults when I got them, and the only real difference is the male’s bigger knob. Well, aside from his angel wing, which doesn’t really count as a way to tell. 🤭

Has anyone ever moved eggs when pipped? Do they hatch?

I set up my NR 360 last night as a hatcher for the duck eggs (due Th-Fri). Although it looked good after an hour, I decided to let it go and transfer the eggs this morning. 2 out 7 are externally pipped! Yikes!

My coolerbater incubator was at 40% humidity, so I know they'll appreciate the bump up to 70%. I just hope I didn't shrinkwrap them by the move across the room to the other incubator. I don't want to be known as a duck murderer.

Rooster question.-
I have a beautiful and friendly rooster who has more than twenty hens just for him. However, he is being very "active" with just a hand full of hens and my poor girls are becoming to get bold spots by their comb to the point that if I don't do anything about it they will start bleeding. I have put the rooster by himself in a kennel, at least until they hens heals. I really don't want to give him away, but I can't have my poor girls hurt. Has anyone experienced this issue with their rooster/s? if so, what do you do?
I have and there is a bitter tincture you can apply to the hens head. Haven't found that link yet been a few years.
I am trying to rehome three cutie rooster bantam.
I have 1 OE Bantam and 2 D'Uccle Bantam. They were raised together and they are about 6 months old. I am located near Indianapolis International airport. If someone is interested please let me know. They are beautiful rooster but I only have 2 female bantam not enough to have roosters.
Wish I could this last hatch has a lot of roosters.
I way prefer heat plates/ mama heating pads over heat lamps! Although I still have a “first stop” brooder tub in my garage with a medium watt heat bulb in it, because it is easier to keep an eye on chicks for their first few days, keeping them front and center in there. Then they move to brooders in my various coops where they have mama heating pads. I have not sprung for the heat plate like you have yet. I’ve just gone the DIY route and it does fine. I am tempted to get one though. People really rave about theirs.

What do you look for to tell? With my Brown Chinese, they were adults when I got them, and the only real difference is the male’s bigger knob. Well, aside from his angel wing, which doesn’t really count as a way to tell. 🤭
Male geese are taller, longer neck and legs. once matured the voices are different. Ganders have a high pitch goose are very low pitch voices.
Has anyone ever moved eggs when pipped? Do they hatch?

I set up my NR 360 last night as a hatcher for the duck eggs (due Th-Fri). Although it looked good after an hour, I decided to let it go and transfer the eggs this morning. 2 out 7 are externally pipped! Yikes!

My coolerbater incubator was at 40% humidity, so I know they'll appreciate the bump up to 70%. I just hope I didn't shrinkwrap them by the move across the room to the other incubator. I don't want to be known as a duck murderer.
Humidity is key here. put al lot of water in there hot water sponges if you can. Ducklings are tough you got this!

It's been a few years since I've been on here. But we decided to get chickens again this year, so thought I would stop by. We currently have 14 6 or 7 week old chicks we got them at rural king. 3 wesummers 3 buff orpingtons 1 olive egger 2 cuckoo marans and 5 ameracuana (easter eggees). Also have 3 guineas. I've also ordered more birds through rural king as well as strombergs. Have really enjoyed looking at all the pictures and reading.

It's been a few years since I've been on here. But we decided to get chickens again this year, so thought I would stop by. We currently have 14 6 or 7 week old chicks we got them at rural king. 3 wesummers 3 buff orpingtons 1 olive egger 2 cuckoo marans and 5 ameracuana (easter eggees). Also have 3 guineas. I've also ordered more birds through rural king as well as strombergs. Have really enjoyed looking at all the pictures and reading.
HEY! WELCOME BACK! :frow Really nice to see you post! @racinchickins stopped in recently too. Sounds like you are really rebuilding your flocks.

Vacation is coming in July so am working with my farm helper (family friend) and brother to ensure they are prepared so we can be away a week. Brother will care for our Dad and my Lizzy (bearded dragon) while we're gone.
interesting when you start writing everything down just how much you do every day LOL! I still keep Hereford cows, Oberhasli goats, Muscovy, Chickens and Geese. And of course my Belle LGD she's a Great Pyrenees. She lives with my goats & the Ameraucana flock full time. She does her job very well. My Ameraucana free range 24/7 and are never locked up. Not a single loss in over a year since Belle came here. We use the portable electric netting, mobile coops and portable goat houses so they rotate to new pasture weekly. Those eggs, oh my the yolks are so orange its crazy! I hatched a bunch early spring to keep the line going very productive layers.

The 2 pipped duck eggs hatched out this morning. Most of the other eggs are pipped. I decided to remove them from the incubator. I never heard such a racket as they pounded their bills into the plexiglass and played soccer with the eggs. They are adorable, though....

I put them into the brooder with my silkie. She's now a mom to Orpingtons, Seramas, Quail, and Ducklings. She didn't notice or care that her new babies are different.

IMG_4147 (3).JPG

IMG_4148 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom