INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hope everyone had a Happy July 4th.
We really missed not having the big fireworks show this year, but plenty of neighbors decided to drive to Indiana to get their own. We had a quiet family campfire instead.

IMG_4333 (2) copy.jpg

People always ask me if my giant orps are gentle. I have to say yes. Look at my poor rooster. He's so tolerant.

IMG_4360 copy.jpg

Then there's DD's silkie who goes as limp as a rag doll when being held.

IMG_4340 copy.jpg
IMG_4342 copy.jpg

Hope everyone had a Happy July 4th.
We really missed not having the big fireworks show this year, but plenty of neighbors decided to drive to Indiana to get their own. We had a quiet family campfire instead.

IMG_4333 (2) copy.jpg

People always ask me if my giant orps are gentle. I have to say yes. Look at my poor rooster. He's so tolerant.

IMG_4360 copy.jpg

Then there's DD's silkie who goes as limp as a rag doll when being held.

View attachment 2227834View attachment 2227835
Wow that is a big silkie . I thought silkie are bantam? correct me if I am wrong.
Beautiful birds , that is for sure.

Wow that is a big silkie . I thought silkie are bantam? correct me if I am wrong.
Beautiful birds , that is for sure.
In pic above, DD was balancing hen on one hand. The hen's closer to the camera. (Gives the illusion of being bit bigger.) Hen is a larger bantam size (between 2-3 lbs) with extra fluff.

The chicken goes limp & floppy when DD holds her. Full trust.
IMG_4342 copy.jpg

IMG_4340 copy.jpg

I got a new layer. 'Parmesan' (Chicken) is a serama hatched this spring. Her comb has been red and I found this in the serama pen. it's about the size of a small grape.

Top = new serama egg (from Parm)
Middle = Sebright egg
Bottom = Welsummer

IMG_4185.JPG

Here's what Parmesan looks like today:
IMG_4223.JPG

Updated poult pics. They're getting bigger. I think the brown is a female and both whites could be male. One white is a little more red in face & is slightly bigger. The brown is more petite. (Names: whites = Thanksgiving & Christmas, & brown = Giblets)
IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4187.JPG

IMG_4235 (2).JPG

DS saying Good Bye to his duckies. They went back home to the friend who gave me the eggs.
IMG_4217.JPG

Teddy rockin' his new look. (Another spa day from DD.)
IMG_4234.JPG

IMG_4248.JPG

Mr Potential.... just because he always runs up an poses for me. (Technically he's looking for treats, but when he looks that good, I just have to take a pic!)

I got my orig birds from @kittydoc (A descendant of her Cogburn) Over the years I've been adding more imported English bloodlines.
IMG_4199.JPG
Your poults all look female to me, but they are right at that stage where it’s just a little soon to know. Are your white ones Sweetgrass? I miss having turkeys. Some day I will have Sweetgrass ones again.

4th of July here was anything but quiet. Whole neighborhood seemed to be doing their own fireworks since they weren’t all going out to see them. It sounded like professional size rockets being set off in regular size back yards. Way too loud and close for my comfort.

Some loud holdover ones going off last night too. Hopefully they will all be running out and/or over it soon. My dogs hate it and won’t go potty before bed if they hear people shooting them off while it’s still daylight.

4th of July here was anything but quiet.

My dogs hate it and won’t go potty before bed if they hear people shooting them off while it’s still daylight.
Same here. My dog hasn't really eaten anything for a few days. Too nervous. For some reason, he'll only eat if I feed him (no one else can do it) - and it must be at night. We tried to get him to eat 2 small meals per day (easier schedule for large dogs) but he never eats breakfast. Just waits until I pour in dinner.

Last year was his 1st July 4th. DD had him on a leash & a large boom sent him running. He got away from her and never turned back. We searched for 3+ hours in the dark with no success. Our family was devastated. We told every police officer we saw and filed a report. A few people saw him run past but none saw him stop. We got lucky and one of the policemen found him at 5am near a pond 2 miles away. He would have passed by but the dog fit our description, so he got our pup in the car and the station called us. A happy ending to a long terrible night.

Our other dogs didn't like fireworks, but they didn't hide, stress out, or run away.

Probably Sweetgrass / Calico. They're from @Molpet. She calls her birds meat mutts.
Yeah I don't know for sure what they are. R2ELK said calico and he raises sweet grass . Sweet grass should breed true. A couple have been the last ones still laying when they went broody, a couple browns (semi colored semi Narragansett) popped out... so I go with Calico. But some sure look like sweet grass to me LOL

Yeah I don't know for sure what they are. R2ELK said calico and he raises sweet grass . Sweet grass should breed true. A couple have been the last ones still laying when they went broody, a couple browns (semi colored semi Narragansett) popped out... so I go with Calico. But some sure look like sweet grass to me LOL
I agree. R2Elk can pick out minor details that I can never distinguish. I was making my own Sweetgrass with a tom I had that was potentially Red Pencilled Sweetgrass and the offspring of a blue palm. (So carrying Sweetgrass genes) Any that hatched out yellow with a stripe down the back got called “Sweetgrass”, but I know a lot of those turned out blue. And some he said were tricolored palms or calicos.

Back
Top Bottom