INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Roosters in general are hard to catch. It's best to corner them and grab whatever you can before they get away. Pro tip: grab the legs. Keeps you from getting spurred or pecked.
I'm in a similar boat right now. We bought 12 straight runs and 11 were roos. I've got 8 more I havent had time to "deal with" yet.

Oh wow. 11 out of 12 is terrible luck. 😟

Hi eveyone, I just wanted to let anyone in the northern half of Indiana know we have a new veterinarian option for our poultry. Swine Health Care in Mexico, IN (about 30 miles north of Kokomo) is now seeing poultry. This fills the gap for us that can't realistically get to Indianapolis, Purdue or Ft. Wayne. I saw Dr. Daniel Gasho yesterday and he is WONDERFUL! Very knowledgeable and compassionate; he treated my pullet more like a companion pet than livestock. Reasonable fees, too!
https://4starvets.com/daniel-gascho-dvm/

Well, good news is I have re-homed them with a lovely older couple that lives about an hour out on a farm.
I tell ya, those Sebrights were hard to catch.
Sebrights are hard to catch which is why I didn't plan on keeping ours. DD fell in love with one we hatched named "Trouble." I insisted that she needed to be trained in order to keep her. Well, years later and we still have Trouble. Here she was as a pullet / young hen. (1st half of DD's project involves training Trouble.

I actually saw your CL ad and drooled over getting one of your pretty golden Sebrights to keep Trouble company. But realistically, Trouble is probably more Sebright attitude than we can handle.

Roosters in general are hard to catch.

All of our birds (including the roos) think they're lap chickens.

Who wouldn't want a big 12-15 lb bird in their lap?! LOL

IMG_7185 copy.jpg
IMG_4121 (2).JPG

Hi eveyone, I just wanted to let anyone in the northern half of Indiana know we have a new veterinarian option for our poultry. Swine Health Care in Mexico, IN (about 30 miles north of Kokomo) is now seeing poultry. This fills the gap for us that can't realistically get to Indianapolis, Purdue or Ft. Wayne. I saw Dr. Daniel Gasho yesterday and he is WONDERFUL! Very knowledgeable and compassionate; he treated my pullet more like a companion pet than livestock. Reasonable fees, too!
https://4starvets.com/daniel-gascho-dvm/

Now I'm curious as to how far I'll have to go... I don't think the animal hospital in town does chickens... I've only seen dogs and cats. Peotone animal hospital and pretty much all the rest around here don't mention chickens

Now I'm curious as to how far I'll have to go... I don't think the animal hospital in town does chickens... I've only seen dogs and cats. Peotone animal hospital and pretty much all the rest around here don't mention chickens
We're in valpo and mexico indiana is about an hour and a half drive away. A little far for us, but maybe lowell is closer...

We're in valpo and mexico indiana is about an hour and a half drive away. A little far for us, but maybe lowell is closer...

I'm practically in Illinois lol I'm about a mile from state line. I think Lafayette and Mexico are about the same distance when I looked at the map? Lafayette would be closer time wise due to 65.

Rensselaer has cattle and hoofed vets, would they generally not accept poultry?

I'm practically in Illinois lol I'm about a mile from state line. I think Lafayette and Mexico are about the same distance when I looked at the map? Lafayette would be closer time wise due to 65.

Rensselaer has cattle and hoofed vets, would they generally not accept poultry?
I'd call and ask. Just say you're looking for a vet in your area just in case one of your birds got sick.

Sebrights are hard to catch which is why I didn't plan on keeping ours. DD fell in love with one we hatched named "Trouble." I insisted that she needed to be trained in order to keep her. Well, years later and we still have Trouble. Here she was as a pullet / young hen. (1st half of DD's project involves training Trouble.

I actually saw your CL ad and drooled over getting one of your pretty golden Sebrights to keep Trouble company. But realistically, Trouble is probably more Sebright attitude than we can handle.

All of our birds (including the roos) think they're lap chickens.

Who wouldn't want a big 12-15 lb bird in their lap?! LOL

View attachment 2287591View attachment 2287592

So sweet. :) I wasn't prepared for how much attitude Sebrights have. And that crow which started out so goofy and quiet, became the most high pitched, ear-piercing crow we've heard yet. And as soon as the one started crowing, its Sebright brother started crowing too. The wings and feathers on those guys were beautiful though.

I need to start getting my chickens more comfortable with being held. They get under my feet as it is and follow me anywhere, but if I move to squat down, they distance pretty quickly.

As if on queue, after getting rid of the Sebrights yesterday, my Barred Rock roo has picked up the crowing slack. It's not terrible given how low of a pitch his crow is. It's something more like a roar and doesn't pierce through windows/walls. Hopefully it stays that way.

Well I went to rural king tonight and I think I came home with the chicks I ordered plus 15 more. The chicks I got were in a tank that said Hoover hatchery listed all the breeds I ordered and said hold but again they couldn't find the order so it was assumed they were mine the extra 15 were in the same tank and since no one there knew which ones were which and I really had no clue I took them all I just hope they weren't some one else's chicks

Back
Top Bottom