INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Happy Halloween!

Teddy was as a little bat and DS was Sans (character from video game).

IMG_5999 (2).JPG
Love the bat costume. Did you make that?

Hello! I work for a 1920's history farm located in West Lafayette Indiana. We have a flock of 66 chickens, along with 4 turkeys, and 14 ducks. Part of our mission is to educate the public about animal husbandry. We pride ourselves in having heritage breed birds to share with guests. I am looking to add 5 hens to our flock. Breeds must be period, from 1920's or older. Does anyone know anyone in Indiana raising birds that might fit this bill? Hens only please. We are willing to pick up. Looking for layers.

Hello! I work for a 1920's history farm located in West Lafayette Indiana. We have a flock of 66 chickens, along with 4 turkeys, and 14 ducks. Part of our mission is to educate the public about animal husbandry. We pride ourselves in having heritage breed birds to share with guests. I am looking to add 5 hens to our flock. Breeds must be period, from 1920's or older. Does anyone know anyone in Indiana raising birds that might fit this bill? Hens only please. We are willing to pick up. Looking for layers.
You could try 4h or Chellberg farm. Chellberg gets a lot of donations and some they dont necessarily have room for. But those donations would more than likely be no longer laying.

A great American chicken breed is the Dominique. They're pretty, smart, and extremely hardy. Definitely a breed to look into. I don't have any right now, but one of my family's all-time fav hens was a Dom named "Bubbles". She helped with magic tricks when we presented at schools and even learned to play piano for an audience.

Bubbles.jpg
1.jpg
4.jpg

I cannot help you with chicken breeds from the 1920s, but I wanted to say Hi and welcome! :frow(From Diana in Noblesville, who had the turkeys.) If I run across anyone with chickens from that era, I will send them your way.

Guys I'm watching the CV19 stats close, we've got my Dad 86 COPD Diabetic 2x open heart and my sis 55 stage 4 COPD. I may not host a processing workshop this year stats are climbing daily for Covid. Makes me really sad. We've lost 2 close friends to this horrible virus already. Ive chose to cancel Thanksgiving plans for their safety.
I hope your families are all well and safe during this mess.
We’re canceling turkey day get together too. Not worth risking our family’s health.

Hello! Anyone in NE Indiana interested in muscovy ducks? They've been raised as pets. I made a post in another forum here, but haven't gotten any responses. Thought I would share the link here. I love them - just afraid my ratio is off and that when they have to be secured in their run, they don't have enough room. Or if you know of anyone IRL looking for muscovy, pass it on. :)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/muscovy-ducks-any-interest-in-ne-indiana.1425040/

does anyone have a formula for an non gmo all flock feed? currently we get our feed from honeyville feed, but i think the feed is to powdery. would like something more along the lines of a crumble but would prefer not buying prepackaged.

does anyone have a formula for an non gmo all flock feed? currently we get our feed from honeyville feed, but i think the feed is to powdery. would like something more along the lines of a crumble but would prefer not buying prepackaged.
If being powdery is the only problem with your current feed, you could try fermenting it. That would incorporate the powder. Chickens love fermented feed, but it’s not for everyone’s style of flock management. Gee, you could even just moisten the feed and serve it wet if you didn’t want to maintain fermenting buckets.

Back
Top Bottom