Indoor Pet Chickens

Pics
I only keep chicks that are very young and then as soon as possible, they are in a run inside the chicken pen. I also keep my rooster in a box in my basement because the poor guy gets frostbite and can't be outside when it is below freezing. In my opinion, chickens are happier outside, but I think that short trips inside to hang out with you for a bit won't hurt anything and I don't know, maybe the chickens do enjoy it!

I have two indoor bantams, both hens. The older of the two walked into our garage last October, and now has a 16 sq ft pen, while the younger one has a 4 sq ft rabbit cage. There is actually very little smell and cleaning is easy.9 I'm in the process of making custom diapers for them that can also double as a harness for going out and about. They are both very people friendly and the older one gets lots of attention when she goes out (she's the only one with a diaper right now). She even had a fan club. Once I'm done with diapers, they'll be going out more. They get plenty of roaming around, and love their time in the kitchen at night because it means crickets and superworms for chasing and eating. They are also trainable, and one of the trainers at the petsmart in our area can now add training a chicken to her resume.

This is Gurtrude.
View attachment 1111112

And this is Lizbeth
View attachment 1111113

They are real sweethearts. I don't regret having either one in our house.

I love them!
They actually better mannered than any of my dogs or cats too.
IMG_20170610_164906.jpg

This was Miss Gobble Gutts (name is self explanatory... Lol) She had genetic heart murmur and got Asperaligus caused by previous neighbor.
She lived inside with us and went every where with me til her last days.
Nothing more precious.

To be honest, my 3 month old hens are too curious for me to just let them roam around. They're very jumpy and won't stay in one place, so unless I was to get a diaper, (I don't think I ever will) I wouldn't trust them to roam freely. I think they're happier outside. :)

Keeping Chickens inside sounds cool, but I'm not sure Mom would be okay with it...:D:D I will bring them in for short little trips though, I'm pretty sure they enjoy it. They try to sneak in all of the time. I'm used to stepping in chicken poop outside by now but when I do it inside..:th I have taken them in little trips in those little trailers on bikes for dogs or people to sit in. Adorable!

Back
Top Bottom