Indoor Pet Chickens

Pics
We get crickets and super worms from the pet store, they love them. Gurtrude will grab her first super worm and run off wth it and make all sorts of excited chicken noises. After about s minute she'll finally easy it and come back for more. Last night she had fun hunting the crickets that escaped when their container tipped over. Super worms are good for training, as well.

I brooded chicks in the house when I first got into having chickens. They were in a spare bedroom for 14 weeks while their coop was getting fixed up.... NEVER again!! Nope, I swear that I cleaned that room of dust for 1 year. They are cute and I loved going in to play with them, and it made them very people friendly...but never again

The one time mine were loose in the house I was only gone for maybe an hour. They figured out how to escape from the brooder. I had little poops everywhere and they pulled about a basketball sized wad of stuffing out of a little bitty hole in the sofa. When I opened the door they all flattened down like I was a hawk. Little butt heads are smart.

I can't imagine a more appalling idea than having a "house chicken", but maybe that's just me. ;-)
I brooded 24 babies indoors for several weeks and the dust was DISGUSTING, not to mention the EPIC amount of poop they generate!!! I am NEVER brooding indoors again, no matter what. Once they're older they'd fly up on your kitchen counters to eat your food, and peck and scratch at your carpets and floors. Ewwwwwwwww!!!! NO WAY. :(

There are many people enjoying their pet indoor chickens on BYC. Bantams are usually the birds of choice but some people have larger breeds. There's a long lasting and current thread right here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/people-with-house-chickens.299187/

It's no different than having a large parrot, actually it would be better as chickens are a heck of a lot quieter and don't get the terrible behavioural issues that large parrots are prone to.

Back
Top Bottom