Infected facial wound on hen!

As far as what to treat it with, you'll need to be able to properly evaluate the wound first. I've heard chickens are great at "walling off" areas of infection, meaning the infection stays localized and does not go systemic. In that case, a local treatment can be just fine. Antibiotic ointment, etc. A lot of times, just cleansing the wound well and keeping it clean can do the trick. they have wonderful immune systems and powers of recovery.

Once you get it clean, you'll need to focus on keeping her hydrated and properly nourished. Wounds, especially those that make pus or seep, take a lot or liquid. She'll need a lot of water to replace that. You might look for a home made electrolyte solution or buy some Save a Chick to help her along. And she'll need an increase in protein for healing, all those amino acid building blocks come from protein. Egg is fine, bits of meat, some folks use cat food, etc.

Okay...it's been quite a day!

The chicken is acting MUCH better today, but looks about twice as bad. The swelling at least doubled over night. However, she is drinking and eating and foraging around as happy as can be. Not sure what changed but I won't complain.

Anyway, I grabbed her to do an evaluation on the wound in actual daylight. It's really, really, disgusting. Much bigger than yesterday and smells awful. But here's the kicker-the mass is rock hard. I thought maybe there was an absess that I could drain but it's a solid, rotting swollen mass. In addition to that I opened up her beak and there is hard yellow...calcified...cheese? Ridges? I thought it was pus at first but when I tried to swab them out, they are solid and attached to her mouth on both the infected and non infected sides. So is this fowl pox? Canker? Attaching pics below, they are just importing now.

So, what I did was bring her in for a bit and soaked a cotton pad with an antibiotic wash and soaked the sore for a bit. It didn't seem to do anything. I was really at a loss because there isn't anything to "clean" out, it's all a solid mass, not pus like I initially thought. I could be more forceful with the swabbing but I was hesitant without knowing what I was dealing with. I put some antibiotic ointment on and let her back out, she started eating and drinking again.

I'm not a vet, but that looks a lot like pictures of canker that I have seen. A vet could probably take a sample and tell what it is. Canker can go firther into the mouth and throat causing blockage in the airway. Many use FishZole (metronidazole, Flagyl) 250 mg divided into 2 doses 12 hours apart daily for 5 days. FishZole is found online in 250 mg tablets from fish stores. A vet would be more expensive, but could confirm or rule out canker. Canker is a protozoan infection, really stinks, and is highly infectious. Separate her, disinfect all your water and feed bowls that the others are using. Some people reccommend using acidified copper sulfate (available at jefferspet.com for several dollars) 1/4 tsp per gallon of water for 3 days a month to help prevent the infection. But many people will cull birds with canker to prevent the spread of disease in the flock.

Thanks! We can definitely seperate her and give the meds. I'm curious, is there any way besides a vet test to know the difference between canker and wet fowl pox?

Is one more common than the other?

The symptoms/pictures I have seen comparing them look so similar. I did read that canker is more often on the roof of the mouth in the back VS wet fowl pox along the sides, which is what she has.

Last edited:
Are you in a warm climate with mosquitoes out now? If not, then it wouldn't be pox. Also, you should see some evidence of dry pox on combs, ear, wattles, and faces on her or the others. Pox is a virus, and would run it's course over 2-3 weeks.

Here are some good links on canker:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/154/trichomoniasis-canker-frounce/
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/canker.html
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/trichomonosis/overview-of-trichomonosis
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/fish-zole-metronidazole-tablets-250

Oral Canker

Canker is a condition mostly associated with pigeons and is caused by a tiny parasite called trichomonas. This parasite is often spread through contaminated drinking water. The parasite causes a ‘yellow button’ of pus to form in your bird’s mouth. This can stop your bird from eating normally leading to weight loss.

What to look for

• Weight loss
  • Birds picking up food then dropping it
  • A cheese-like plaque in your birds mouth (see photo)
  • A reluctance to eat
Treatment

Treating canker or suspected canker is a job for a vet who will likely prescribe an anti-parasitic medication.
Prevention

Ensure that your birds' drinking water is changed daily. Try to keep the drinkers in the chicken house to discourage wild birds from sharing your birds’ water.
b126064955.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everyone! It has been a pretty unusually warm and humid week, we've had a ton of rain and whether in the 70s but I haven't noticed any mosquitos.

I'll quarentine and treat for canker. I really hope it hasn't spread already but if it's that infectious that seems unlikely...great :-(

I clean the waters daily. The only standing water I can think of is an area by the hose that puddles that the chickens like to drink out of...so does this mean they can never be freeranged if we want a canker free flock??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom