infected frostbite - what should I be watching for?

gretamae

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Ann Arbor
My rooster has a significant amount of frostbite on his comb and wattles. From what I've read on this forum, there isn't much I can do about it other than watch to make sure it doesn't get infected, applying neosporin if it does. What are the signs of infection?

I put some bag balm on him just now, and the frostbitten area is not hot to the touch, but that's the only sign I know to watch for.

Thanks in advance.

Redness, warmth, swelling, drainage. It would be a good idea to use the Neosporin as a preventive. Neosporin is mostly Vaseline, so it will also help to prevent further damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for asking that question. We got to -24 last night, never got above 0 today. When I was doing chores this evening I noticed quite a few of my chickens have frostbite, especially on their wattles, and there are a couple of them that have swollen wattles. Now I know what to do. I think I have been fortunate up until now (even though I am still arguing there isn't enough ventilation in the new coop) as the only time I have seen evidence of frostbite is when it gets this cold, though this is the worst I have seen which is why I am lurking on your topic
smile.png

You might consider applying a coat of dark honey! This should also help with pain as well as dryness from the frostbite! Are you using neosporin with pain releif? I had learned that this could be toxic to birds. I placed a thread on here about Honey a couple days ago and have not been able to find it again lol! It helps to heal sores and areas of this nature as well as smooth skin! Good luck to you!
By the way if they seem to be in that much pain and I'm sure that you can tell, I could when I noticed my sbrites comb has frostbite, you might want to slip them an aspirin just to help them get through it better and then again honey also helps to releive the pains.

I know this is an old thread, but reviving it because I was going to post virtually the same thing and figured I'd just add on. I know my chickens have frostbite- most of them are mild and bearing it fine, but one who is going through her first winter has one tip of her comb that wentfrom black to whitish/yellow. It looks like there may have been some discharge/weeping, but it is 0*F today so there is no liquid per se. She's shaking her head a lot, I'm assuming this is painful to her.

I have not had success finding any pictures of a frostbitten comb that has turned infected, so not sure if I'm seeing signs of infection, or just a more advanced case that is still healing. Does anyone have any pics that show what infection that follows frostbite would look like? Not pictures of white or black tips from the first onset of frostbite, I know what that looks like- I would just like some sort of visual on infection following frostbite.

Temps here likely to go back to the 20s tomorrow, so I should be able to handle the comb a little more when it's not so bitter, and will put some neosporin on it which will hopefully help if there is any infection going on.

deacons, I'm in NH also and my two roosters have a touch of frostbite on the tips of their combs and one of them a little on his wattles. All my hens' combs seem to be doing fine. I hope some one can share a pic of what infection following frostbite looks like too. Thank goodness it was warmer today and it's suppose to warm up a bit the next few days.

Thanks, Cigala. The chickens sure seemed relieved today when there was actually some SUN, and temps not in the single digits. They were out and about (at least in their run) digging through their leaves all day. They looked so much less miserable and much livelier. I can't believe how absolutely brutal it has been this early in December. Hope the rest of the winter isn't as bitter- though the Farmer's Almanac doesn't leave me optimistic...

At any rate, I am definitely still looking for any pictures of post-frostbite infection.

Today I had the chance to really inspect the combs on my two Golden Comets, who are the worst off. They don't look great, but I don't smell anything foul or see anything pus-filled or oozing. They each have a couple of tips that have turned sort of off-white/yellow (this is after it turned black), so based on some other threads I've read, I am hopeful this is healing vs. infection. I did grab both of them and give them some Neosporin on the combs, hoping that will help if anything is "off" in the healing. When I felt the comb tips, they didn't feel stiff/hard (as if they were completely dead), so maybe there is still live tissue there that can be saved. It's so frustrating, because I don't think the frostbite is coming from coop problems overnight- there's just been so much moisture in the air, with such cold temps, they just can't seem to get relief, even when they're in covered areas.

Last edited:
We got to -30 this week after days and days of bitter cold. My two boys and few girls have been struck with frost bite even though I coat them with Vaseline every night. I really hope someone will post pictures of infection setting in. They have a yellowish look below the black tips. Also I notice as I am treating everyone at night some of the girls will start eating the Vaseline off the others. Not that I can prevent this, but is it OK?

Back
Top Bottom