Infertile rooster?

Kkboardman

Chirping
Jan 31, 2024
I have a hen who has been laying for about 2 months now. I've tried incubating her eggs and they appear to not be fertilized. Is there anyway to tell if it's her or my rooster who isn't doing his job? The hen is about 8 months old and the rooster is about 10 months old. I would assume it's an issue with the rooster but am unsure as this is my first time with a rooster. I've tried 10 eggs now both at different times and none were fertilized.

I have a hen who has been laying for about 2 months now. I've tried incubating her eggs and they appear to not be fertilized. Is there anyway to tell if it's her or my rooster who isn't doing his job? The hen is about 8 months old and the rooster is about 10 months old. I would assume it's an issue with the rooster but am unsure as this is my first time with a rooster. I've tried 10 eggs now both at different times and none were fertilized.
What breeds? Some breeds need their butt fluff trimmed so breeding will be more successful.

Hmm. Have you seen him try to, well, do his job? You can also post yolk pictures for folks to weigh in on whether the eggs look fertilized although this isn't a 100% way to tell...

How long did you incubate these eggs for before candling/opening?

I have a really old, clumsy rooster. In the incubator, hatch rate was I think 1/12. Under my broody it was 50/50. So at least in my situation, a broody could do what my technology could not easily accomplish.

Thanks everyone. I have waited a week a few times and nothing. I posted a yoke picture once and 20 people said it was fertilized but I'm thinking they were wrong. The hen is a rhode island red and the rooster is a blue laced red wyondotte.

Back
Top Bottom