Infertile rooster?

Attachments

• IMG_0153(1).jpg
    IMG_0153(1).jpg
    971.1 KB · Views: 15
Oh, he's breathtaking! Fingers crossed he helps produce some nice chicks for you soon. Side note, but has he only been tested with the one pullet?? If possible I'd expand that by a few pulets or hens for a more representative test just in case maybe the pullet doesn't like him much yet or could have her own issues.

Some people say that some hens (or pullets) occasionally separate the sperm and expel most of it after copulating before it reaches the ova (eggs) inside her body. About 80% of it can be “ejected”, causing the chances of fertilization to be much lower. Apparently, some hens are picky about who fathers their chicks. (This is only something I’ve read and heard of before, but it is not something I have researched in detail. I have not explored the subject and I do not have any proof of results of experiments or experiences. But I think it’s something interesting and a quick google search provides many articles on the topic.)

On another note, infertility can be a sign of inbreeding. Did you get either the cockerel or the pullet from somewhere that the parents of one of the birds may have been closely related?

Dietary deficiencies can also lead to infertility. What do your birds eat?

You should know within 5 days by candling. Read about candling in the articles. If embryos are dying, your incubator temperature is probably off. Read up here on incubation--lots of good references. Some young roos need practice. Give him time and maybe the excitement of (carefully) introducing another bird (read archives about that, too). Also check your feed to ensure enough vitamin D. I know an exhibitioner who gives cod liver oil to his roos.

You could also switch to a good breeding feed, too, to ensure there are no dietary insufficiencies. My fav is Kalmbach's Game Bird breeder feed. Its small pellets are a great size for bantams and the ingredients are better than just layer feed. All my poultry eats it. It's just pennies more so is very worth the teensy extra. Better, less risk of mold toxins vs some local milled feed that is untested, which will definitely interfere with fertility and general health. The molds are potent such that even a seemingly undetectable amount by the nose can wreck bird health.

Oh, he's breathtaking! Fingers crossed he helps produce some nice chicks for you soon. Side note, but has he only been tested with the one pullet?? If possible I'd expand that by a few pulets or hens for a more representative test just in case maybe the pullet doesn't like him much yet or could have her own issues.
That's a good idea. And yeah only one of the pullets he is currently with is laying. I will wait and see what happens when the other girls start laying. Thanks for the suggestion!

Some people say that some hens (or pullets) occasionally separate the sperm and expel most of it after copulating before it reaches the ova (eggs) inside her body. About 80% of it can be “ejected”, causing the chances of fertilization to be much lower. Apparently, some hens are picky about who fathers their chicks. (This is only something I’ve read and heard of before, but it is not something I have researched in detail. I have not explored the subject and I do not have any proof of results of experiments or experiences. But I think it’s something interesting and a quick google search provides many articles on the topic.)

On another note, infertility can be a sign of inbreeding. Did you get either the cockerel or the pullet from somewhere that the parents of one of the birds may have been closely related?

Dietary deficiencies can also lead to infertility. What do your birds eat?
No the birds are totally unrelated. That'd a good thought though. I feed them nutrena feed.

Back
Top Bottom