INFO ON GOATS? I NEED HELP WITH THIS PROJECT...

Glad I could share the article. Bloat is devastating, and I've found out there is no magical cure, unfortunately.

I actually had to rush my bottle baby (seven months old, but still mah baby) to an emergency livestock vet last night, with frothy bloat. She ultimately did not make it. The vet tubed her, removed a lot of her rumen contents, medicated her, and I took her home. Once I had her home around midnight, I took short cat naps and checked on her constantly. But around 2am she bloated back up again, screaming in pain, and collapsed as I tried to relieve the pressure. Tried CPR on her, but lost her. The vet told me that when the pressure gets too high, it can impede their breathing and also compress their aorta.

I hope I don't bum you out about goats, with this. They truly are magical critters, and I love them to death. They're like little dogs with hooves.

Glad I could share the article. Bloat is devastating, and I've found out there is no magical cure, unfortunately.

I actually had to rush my bottle baby (seven months old, but still mah baby) to an emergency livestock vet last night, with frothy bloat. She ultimately did not make it. The vet tubed her, removed a lot of her rumen contents, medicated her, and I took her home. Once I had her home around midnight, I took short cat naps and checked on her constantly. But around 2am she bloated back up again, screaming in pain, and collapsed as I tried to relieve the pressure. Tried CPR on her, but lost her. The vet told me that when the pressure gets too high, it can impede their breathing and also compress their aorta.

I hope I don't bum you out about goats, with this. They truly are magical critters, and I love them to death. They're like little dogs with hooves.

Oh my, I'm so sorry for your loss. That's so sad.
hugs.gif
Oh man, that would be scary to be faced with, I'm so sorry this happened to you and your little goat.

You didn't bum me out about goats, we brought ours home last weekend. They are adorable! I'm in love already! They are definitely like little dogs with hooves. Our little Blitz loves to be scratched on his sides and behind his ears. It's so funny, his eyes will roll back into his head and he really leans into you when your scratching him, a few times he's even picked up a hind leg to "help" me scratch him even more...like a dog. Lol. Jester isn't so sure about us though, that bums me out, I don't want him to be afraid of us but so far, he's not convinced that we are good news.
sad.png

Oh my, I'm so sorry for your loss. That's so sad.
hugs.gif
Oh man, that would be scary to be faced with, I'm so sorry this happened to you and your little goat.

You didn't bum me out about goats, we brought ours home last weekend. They are adorable! I'm in love already! They are definitely like little dogs with hooves. Our little Blitz loves to be scratched on his sides and behind his ears. It's so funny, his eyes will roll back into his head and he really leans into you when your scratching him, a few times he's even picked up a hind leg to "help" me scratch him even more...like a dog. Lol. Jester isn't so sure about us though, that bums me out, I don't want him to be afraid of us but so far, he's not convinced that we are good news.
sad.png

Blitz sounds like a real sweetie. What breed is he?

Oh my gosh, Stacy, that is horrible!

My dad is kinda weird. I was eating lunch and he said we oughta get goats. Then, I ask him if he would want to get Nubian goats, and he says this exactly: "No. I do not want any goats!"
Good grief!
roll.png

Hannah, I hope you don't mind me highjacking for a minute.... Nathan, nice goaties!!

I am also trying to gage my first goat purchase. Here's the thing, I have my chickens who I LOVE. We have had way too many fox in the area this summer, so my poor babies have been held hostage in their coops and runs. What to do?... well, seems the great dane and yorkie I have, although helpful, are not fitting the bill. SO.. I get a great pyrenees... puppy.... she's only 11 weeks (today). Stay with me... I promise this gets to goats.

My Pyr has been raised (until 9 weeks) with goats. Goats have always been in the plan for my family. I believe we would like to get Dwarf Nigerians, for the milk, high butterfat content, size, and easiness of handling. So my question... How old of a goat do I get? I don't want my pup to hurt the goat, or the goat to hurt my pup. Pyr breeder told me beween 3-9 mons. I found a 4 month old, poled doeling. She is registered, but has not had testing done. I realize I have to have two and thought I'd get a proven doe to get with her. I plan to get the doeling tested immediately.

I have solar powered electric net fencing ~a friend of mine with Dwarf Nigerians has the same fencing and says it'll keep em in. Any advice for me goat people?

Hannah, I hope you don't mind me highjacking for a minute.... Nathan, nice goaties!!

I am also trying to gage my first goat purchase. Here's the thing, I have my chickens who I LOVE. We have had way too many fox in the area this summer, so my poor babies have been held hostage in their coops and runs. What to do?... well, seems the great dane and yorkie I have, although helpful, are not fitting the bill. SO.. I get a great pyrenees... puppy.... she's only 11 weeks (today). Stay with me... I promise this gets to goats.

My Pyr has been raised (until 9 weeks) with goats. Goats have always been in the plan for my family. I believe we would like to get Dwarf Nigerians, for the milk, high butterfat content, size, and easiness of handling. So my question... How old of a goat do I get? I don't want my pup to hurt the goat, or the goat to hurt my pup. Pyr breeder told me beween 3-9 mons. I found a 4 month old, poled doeling. She is registered, but has not had testing done. I realize I have to have two and thought I'd get a proven doe to get with her. I plan to get the doeling tested immediately.

I have solar powered electric net fencing ~a friend of mine with Dwarf Nigerians has the same fencing and says it'll keep em in. Any advice for me goat people?

Well, my two bottle babies were raised from day one with my dogs. They were never unattended, of course. But the goats learned the dogs were part of the 'herd' and didn't mind them at all. They never showed any aggression towards the dogs. Many a bottle feedings were one on the porch with the dogs all eager to lick drips of milk from the faces of the kids, and then they all bounced around together in a post feeding zoomy session.

Now a dam raised girl, who I bought at four months old, tried to headbutt the dogs through the fence. But she'd never had close contact with dogs before. The bottle kids, even as they got older and lived in the barn and away from the dogs, still showed no aggression towards them.

As for the fencing. As long as the goat respects the fence and it is not shorting out, a net type fence should work.

Also, please do get a second goat. A solo goat is a lonely goat. They need another animal like them for companionship. So even though the pyr will be with your goat, she needs another goat friend. A wether is usually cheap, and most breeders have them for companions. Since Nigerians are small, another goat mouth to feed shouldn't be too different than just one.

Back
Top Bottom