Information on age of chicks and when to allow them outdoors.

@azygous So sorry you lost your cat.... I'll try to get the chicks out this week - even if it means locking up my poor cat. ;-) Guess I can tell her what I tell my dog, "When you start laying eggs, you can get special privileges too!"

I can't wait to let my little ones out to play they are 2 weeks and the others are 11 days old. They are growing so fast I can't believe how fast they grow. I live in Texas and this week it is supposed to be in the 70's so I was wondering since they have been indoors under the lamp. I have moved it up. They are in a watering trough. I am planning on moving them to the garage with the lamp but I was wondering how long it will be before I can move them outdoors. I have a rabbit hutch that is off the ground near the chicken house. I was wondering when they would be able to go out there. It is in a pole barn. Weather has been kinda crazy with wind and rain the last week. but they can't get wet. I would have to put a tarp on one end as a draft block... or should I leave them in the garage for a few more weeks. till this weather settles down more...

Thanks everyone for the advice for my chicks. They are outside in the coop and my cat is not bothering them. My dog thinks they all belong to him, and is constantly checking on them, and strutting proudly around the coop. I doubt he will let any harm come to them. ;-) Weather is beautiful. The chicks love it.
Thanks again!

I can't wait to let my little ones out to play they are 2 weeks and the others are 11 days old. They are growing so fast I can't believe how fast they grow. I live in Texas and this week it is supposed to be in the 70's so I was wondering since they have been indoors under the lamp. I have moved it up. They are in a watering trough. I am planning on moving them to the garage with the lamp but I was wondering how long it will be before I can move them outdoors. I have a rabbit hutch that is off the ground near the chicken house. I was wondering when they would be able to go out there. It is in a pole barn. Weather has been kinda crazy with wind and rain the last week. but they can't get wet. I would have to put a tarp on one end as a draft block... or should I leave them in the garage for a few more weeks. till this weather settles down more...
@wilmascluckmom It's been in the 70s here and my chicks are loving it. Not sure EXACTLY how old they are. I think about 4 weeks because I've had them for 3.

Back
Top Bottom