Information on Guineas, Raising . Breeding and raising Keets

Wow! I'll be shocked if my 5-day old keets are still alive in the morning after reading this!!! I've done EVERYTHING wrong!! Chick starter (because I could not find any Turkey or Wildgame starter at our Tractor Supply), woodchips in the cardboard box, keet sleeping in the feed bowl so I didn't clean it out tonight, water bottle with clear glass pebbles and lots of "debris" from the keets in it (I have cleaned the water every morning). :hit

Tractor Supply does not sell proper Turkey/gamebird starter for the simple reason that all Tractor Supply cares about is their profit line. They do not care about the health of your poultry only how much profit they can make.

While keets can survive on chick starter, it will stunt them for life.

Tractor Supply does not sell proper Turkey/gamebird starter for the simple reason that all Tractor Supply cares about is their profit line. They do not care about the health of your poultry only how much profit they can make.

While keets can survive on chick starter, it will stunt them for life.

That's not good! I did find this on Tractor Suppy's website. Also, the folks I bought the keets from told me to give them mealy bugs. What are your thoughts on that?

That's not good! I did find this on Tractor Suppy's website. Also, the folks I bought the keets from told me to give them mealy bugs. What are your thoughts on that?

That would be better than feeding chick starter but if you notice, it does not mention the niacin levels which both keets and turkey poults need higher amounts than do chicks.

I feel confident that their suggestion was to feed mealy worms. Mealy worms will greatly increase the protein level since they are about 50% protein. Mealy worms should be considered a treat and as such should not amount to more than 10% of the diet. Too much protein can be just as much a problem as too little protein. Feeding mealy worms does require that the keets are getting an appropriate sized grit such as chick grit.

That would be better than feeding chick starter but if you notice, it does not mention the niacin levels which both keets and turkey poults need higher amounts than do chicks.

I feel confident that their suggestion was to feed mealy worms. Mealy worms will greatly increase the protein level since they are about 50% protein. Mealy worms should be considered a treat and as such should not amount to more than 10% of the diet. Too much protein can be just as much a problem as too little protein. Feeding mealy worms does require that the keets are getting an appropriate sized grit such as chick grit.

Interesting. They keets were totally not interested in the mealy worms. Just looked at them and scurried off. I suppose I'll wait till they're a little older. I will be sure to pick up some grit. I'm actually trying to find organic, non-gmo wildgame feed online. Thanks again! I truly appreciate your help. =)

I really found the info extremely worthwhile. I have 10 guineas; 5 pearl and 5 white. They have been laying for a while. They free range in the day and they have their house at night. Just as my "girls" have their house. About 2 weeks ago we found a nest of 30 eggs and a pearl started sitting. Some of the others are still laying and I would like to get gather some of the eggs and incubate them. I need some advice on incubators. My money is a little funny. But I do not want anything complicated. The simpler the better. But I would like to have one that would last. Thanks for all the info. I appreciate this site. You never get to old to learn.

Back
Top Bottom