Inherited coop/run

CluckinBell

Chirping
Mar 20, 2018
Fredericksburg, VA, US
We bought a house in January and it came with a coop and a run.

It needs some TLC, but also is this going to work for my 4 hens? They are 5.5 weeks now and still in my bathtub in a plastic bin. We took the top off the run (will be replaced with wire or cloth) and scooped/hosed out the house. (7.5 gallons of poop later...)

IMG_20180408_175150.jpg
IMG_20180408_175016.jpg IMG_20180408_175053.jpg

The run looks good, but the coop is a bit small. Not much room for roosting and their just isn't much space. Also, you might want to make sure the wiring is hardware cloth and you should probably add a roof and floor. It will protect them more. I think it will be a great home once it's fixed up!

A roof and a floor to the run?

There is concrete around the base of the run, but we would be okay laying more if needed. We are invested in these dang birds.

Our property backs up to a national park, so all kinds of predators get into our yard.

A roof and a floor to the run?

There is concrete around the base of the run, but we would be okay laying more if needed. We are invested in these dang birds.

Our property backs up to a national park, so all kinds of predators get into our yard.
I would add a floor just to protect from digging rodents and a roof to protect from flying animals. A roof would also enable you to hang a feeder and waterer which will keep it cleaner.

You don't need to add a "floor" to the run. Gives the chickens something to scratch around in. You could add a skirt around the outside of the run if you felt you needed to. I would remove some of those dividers to increase floor space in the coop. You won't need more than two (and really only one) nest boxes for 4 hens. You also don't need to hang your feeder and waterer unless you just want to.

If you removed most of the nest boxes from one end and installed roost bars in their place, running perpendicular to the direction the nest boxes are currently, that would probably take care of your coop layout issue. With 4 hens one nest box is plenty. They may also try to roost on the roof of the nest boxes the way they sit right now.

You don't need to add a "floor" to the run. Gives the chickens something to scratch around in. You could add a skirt around the outside of the run if you felt you needed to. I would remove some of those dividers to increase floor space in the coop. You won't need more than two (and really only one) nest boxes for 4 hens. You also don't need to hang your feeder and waterer unless you just want to.
I agree that hanging the feeder and waterer is optional, however my chickens can easily knock over our 3.5 lbs waterer, and they manage to scratch up loads of sand into it. Hanging it just keeps it cleaner. But totally optional! :) yes, you don't need to add a floor, the skirt will work just fine. The floor was just a protective option. Also, I meant to imply that bedding would be on top of the floor. It wouldn't just be wood or concrete.

I have 6 hens that share one nest. When one goes broody, they will use a second one, but that is the only time really. They have 5 to choose from so could be using any one them but just wanted the one spot.

Your set up looks like they will have lots of room. Great idea for the roosts from others.

Back
Top Bottom