Inheritence of Peach

Quote:
If you are trying to combine two autosomal recessive colors (bronze, opal, midnight, charcoal, jade, taupe), you will need to have the gene in each parent in order to have a chance at having offspring that are visual for both. If you have only one, you won't have visuals in the next generation.

So are you saying that if you breed a bronze to an opal, all the chicks may not be split to both bronze and opal?

We are in the unique situation of having one mature opal cock and one mature bronze hen. The rest of our breeding age birds are either IB, IB BS, or white. Next year will be our first year putting them in separate pens, so the plan was to pen the opal and the bronze together and hatch out all their eggs, and make a lot of IB split to opal and bronze. Then breed them back to the parents in two years, in order to get more opal and bronze. We do have some unrelated bronze and opal chicks this year who will be ready for breeding in two years or so to add to the mix. I have always wondered if bronze to opal could possibly create something new.

No, I'm not saying that...if you breed Bronze X Opal, ALL the chicks will be IB split to Bronze and Opal.

What I'm saying is that if you want to get a chick with two copies of each gene, it will have to get one from each parent -- you need to have "Bronze" and "Opal" on both sides of the "X", either as visual or as split. Right now, you have one bird that is IB split Bronze and Opal. To hatch a Bronze Opal from him, you need to pair him to a female that is either (with percentage of offspring being Bronze Opal in parentheses):

Bronze Opal (25%)

Bronze split Opal (12.5%)

Opal split Bronze (12.5%)

IB split Bronze Opal (6.25%)

Since this is the first time you're making the cross, and you don't have any birds that are of the four options listed above, you'll have to breed a sister for him next year from your Bronze X Opal pairing, and use her when the birds are mature.

smile.png

Last edited:
This is amazing, the world of Peafowl Genetics is about to explode. The combinations a virtually limitless. I am SO excited about all this. I saw the brown shoulder too, I wonder what a brown shoulder black shoulder would look like.Now I have to Email Roughwood Aviaries with questions!

I may have to take the 3 1/2 hour drive to see Clifton and see these beauties for myself. What an amazing discovery. The new colors should start popping out of the woodwork now.

Fully aware of the genetics and the required crosses, was just letting everyone know what I was up to
tongue.png
At this point I have limited budget, and importing from the states isn't exactly the cheapest method. Therefore I was up to trying these combinations despite the numbers and odds against the ability to hatch what I may be after. I also breed plants, and though they act differently, the basic genetics is similar. Interesting to note Clifton's progress on the Indigo, and actually a little suprised these possible combinations hasn't been done more often. Good luck to all of us that try though
smile.png

I have decided I am either breeding cameo and midnight together or Black Shoulder and Indigo or both. I was thinking of what to call cameo midnight, then I realized I should wait until I actually know what one looks like before I name it, for all I know it could be neon yellow.

Quote:
Call it "Cameo Midnight." With other species, names given to phenotypes are based on genotypes. Things get confusing when people come up with new names for something that is really a combination of two other "somethings." That's why the peafowl society got rid of "Oaten" and instead lists "Cameo Blackshoulder."

In cockatiels, if you combine the Whitefaced mutation with the Cinnamon mutation and the Pied mutation....they call it "Whitefaced Cinnamon Pied." No secrets as to how they got a white bird with brownish markings and no orange cheek patches -- it's spelled out right there in the name.

Quote:
Well, if you were willing to try it, here's how you could proceed once you got your first Midnight Bronze Blackshoulder, using unrelated stock to minimize inbreeding:

Midnight Bronze Blackshoulder X Bronze Blackshoulder = 100% Bronze Blackshoulder split to Midnight (Group A)

Midnight Bronze Blackshoulder X Midnight Blackshoulder = 100% Midnight Blackshoulder split to Bronze (Group B)

Group A X Group B =

1/4 IB Blackshoulder split to Midnight and Bronze

1/4 Bronze Blackshoulder split to Midnight

1/4 Midnight Blackshoulder split to Bronze

1/4 Midnight Bronze Blackshoulder

smile.png

Thanks for that
smile.png

Once you got a cock and a hen, would they breed true?

ZACH '96 :

Quote:
Well, if you were willing to try it, here's how you could proceed once you got your first Midnight Bronze Blackshoulder, using unrelated stock to minimize inbreeding:

Midnight Bronze Blackshoulder X Bronze Blackshoulder = 100% Bronze Blackshoulder split to Midnight (Group A)

Midnight Bronze Blackshoulder X Midnight Blackshoulder = 100% Midnight Blackshoulder split to Bronze (Group B)

Group A X Group B =

1/4 IB Blackshoulder split to Midnight and Bronze

1/4 Bronze Blackshoulder split to Midnight

1/4 Midnight Blackshoulder split to Bronze

1/4 Midnight Bronze Blackshoulder

smile.png

Thanks for that
smile.png

Once you got a cock and a hen, would they breed true?​

Yes, if both parents were the same, their offspring would be true.

Thanks
big_smile.png

I continue to be amazed by your depth of knowledge on the subject 'AquaEyes', it literally boggles me..., i hope someone? with a little sense and time and money, will put your ideas to the test, imagine all those colours... and why not start now?, like you said it should be achieveable by 2020, and wouldent it be great if our children, and some peoples grandchildren are able to enjoy beautiful new colours? instead of thinking, "Oh, god i wish someone had started this 9 years ago..." well that someone could be you! your name would go down in history.. Creator of the Magnificent Bronze Taupe (?)!!!
I guess Im just trying to say, please, give it a goe, for the future of peafowl mutations, and if not for that for your children
smile.png
As someones going to do it anyway, why not make that person you?

Thanks
cool.png

Zach

Back
Top Bottom