Injured 6 week old chick! HELP

kimmom

Songster
9 Years
Feb 20, 2010
Our bantam buff chick was injured!! Should we keep her with her mama hen and two other chicks or not?? Don't even want to say what happened
sad.png
But she has been scalped, lost skin on her scalp.. I put polysporin on it, what else can I do?? I have put her in a kennel but would she be better with her Silkie mama?

NO!! do not put that chick back in with the others!! They will only pick at the wound. Keep it seperated and where flies can't get to it. in the house or a garrage is preferred. Keep the antibiotic (with no pain killers in it) on the wound. Good luck.

definitely keep the injured chick away form the other chickens, they will peck at the wound and only make matters worse, just keep the wound clean and dressed, it's all you can do.

How old is your chick? there is a product called blue-kote that is very resonable price wise and great to heal and also disquise. If you can get some put it on her wound being careful not to get it in her eyes or mouth and then put her back with mama and sibs and watch to see if they mess with her. That way she won't be so stressed out about being separated. I had a pullet get scalped by a roo and all I used was blue kote and she went back in with the flock and noone messed with her. So you never know till you try. All the best.

Back
Top Bottom