Injured baby duckling!! Help!!

Electrolytes and niacin are different things. Niacin is for proper nervous system development, and electrolytes help with metabolism.

I'm aware. Their duck appears to have the same thing as mine which was the niacin deficiency. That's why I said to get the poly-vi-sol to help it.

Got it.
thumbsup.gif

Quote: I guess it depends... How much does a human baby weigh vs the weight of a bird? One probably shouldn't give a newborn duckling the same amount they would give a 10-40 pound child, right? 10 pound duck, sure, give the human dose. Small duckling, give a drop?

Note I'm talking about the Poly-Vi-Sol without iron, not the one with iron, and not the vitamin d one shown in an earlier post.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

@Amiga and @Miss Lydia or anyone else, what is the target dose of niacin in ducks?

-Kathy

Last edited:
Based on the 150 mg per gallon of drinking water suggested in Storey's Guide, I came up with this back-of-the-envelope estimate.

If a duckling actually drinks a half a cup of water a day, it would be getting (16 cups in a gallon, 32 half cups in a gallon . . . . 150 divided by 30, more or less) 5 mg of niacin from water with 150 mg niacin per gallon.

Since two tablespoons of brewer's yeast contains 10 mg of niacin, based on this page http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/1323569/2
that would be about a tablespoon of brewer's yeast. And that is what many folks use based on what I recall from the forum.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom