Injured chicken isolation

NerdTime1997

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 13, 2015
Northeast, Ohio
This morning I went to check on my chickens and two of them had neck wounds. I've gotten them isolated and I think they should be fine.
Has anyone had a similar situations and figured out the cause of this?

Also what should I do to prevent this in the future?

Here are my theories of how they got injured:
-In fighting
-not enough space
-mice problems
-boredom

Please help! I'd like to prevent this from happening again!

This morning I went to check on my chickens and two of them had neck wounds. I've gotten them isolated and I think they should be fine.
Has anyone had a similar situations and figured out the cause of this?

Also what should I do to prevent this in the future?

Here are my theories of how they got injured:
-In fighting
-not enough space
-mice problems
-boredom

Please help! I'd like to prevent this from happening again!

Pics would help. If it's just missing feathers, I would say not enough space, boredom and fighting. Mice, maybe, but chickens will eat them if they can catch them. Set up a bucket mouse trap overnight and see if you catch anybody. If they have bloody puncture wounds, I would consider rat, weasel, mink, ect.

One of them is just missing some feather but I can't get the other to stay still long enough to get pictures. My family and I are working one making a much large space for them to be in. what would you do to for boredom?

One of them is just missing some feather but I can't get the other to stay still long enough to get pictures. My family and I are working one making a much large space for them to be in. what would you do to for boredom?

Well, I have 17 chickens so I put a big flock block in the coop. I can give them a full head of cabbage, by the end of the day, it's all gone. They get BOSS or scratch tossed in coop or run depending on weather. Once in a while I put about a tablespoon per bird of yogurt in a slow feeder bowl. Cut a zucchini or cucumber the long way, keeps 'em busy. They like a lot of different veggies and fruit.
The bigger you can leave the pieces of whatever, the longer it takes for them to devour it. They love meal worms. Leafy greens and things they can play "keep away" with gives them some exercise.
Try to limit these goodies to 10 or 15% of their formulated diet. Change up what you give them, they will be excited each day to see what you bring!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom