Pullet suddenly pecking comb. Draws blood.

Chicken_Bureaucrat

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2023
I have three hens who have been raised together since hatching. One is a Blue Copper Marans and one is an Olive Egger. Both are around 21 weeks and around POL. The OE has laid 4 eggs and the BCM hasn't yet but has a big red comb and seems close to it.

All of a sudden yesterday the BCM went for the OEs comb and viciously attacked her relentlessly, drawing blood in multiple wounds. The third chicken did not take part.

I did wound care on the OE and isolated the BCM to a rabbit hutch in the run. I have another thread on the wound care I'd also appreciate advice on! https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/non-emergency-pecked-comb-womb-care-advice.1594495/

I'm wondering why this could have happened! They were always peaceful and close. There has never been any violence. Sometimes the third chicken and the BCM face off, raise hackles and run at each other, but never any pecking. It's not clear if the BCM or the third chicken is the top hen but I think the OE is on the bottom. She's so kind and peaceful and never challenges anyone. But up until now there's never been any pecking order issues. They all get food and treats and it's not a big deal.

I don't think it's a space issue as we've only just now finished their run, previously they were in the coop all day, you'd think if they had a space issue it'd be in the coop. The coop is 6'x4'. The run is 6'x16'. There's extra room under the coop that adds to the run area too.

I don't think it's a protein issue either as I haven't transitioned them to layer feed yet, they're still on grower/starter feed. Though they range in the yard occasionally and like to eat grass and such there.

My theories are the BCM might be very hormonal as she approaches POL and that might be impacting her behavior.

Also the OE for the last two days has been clearly distressed and dramatic over starting to lay. She's cry for hours before she lays as she searches for the perfect spot. Perhaps the BCM think's there's something wrong with her and wants to drive her out of the flock.

Or maybe it's because I've been catching mice and letting them have it recently and the OE has been getting all the mice and the BCM is mad about that? This didn't happen after a mouse feeding though.

I'd appreciate any advice on this. This has been incredibly sad, they've always been so nice together before, the perfect flock. This has come out of nowhere.

Last edited:
Hormones are a good possibility since the birds are at point of lay. I looked at the injuries in the other thread and it isn't anything I'd personally worry about. Pecking wounds to the comb usually aren't too worrisome (they may bleed a lot, but they should scab up and heal just fine) so unless it gets worse, like one bird preventing another from eating, or attacking more frequently or doing more damage, I'd just let them sort things out amongst themselves.

Hormones are a good possibility since the birds are at point of lay. I looked at the injuries in the other thread and it isn't anything I'd personally worry about. Pecking wounds to the comb usually aren't too worrisome (they may bleed a lot, but they should scab up and heal just fine) so unless it gets worse, like one bird preventing another from eating, or attacking more frequently or doing more damage, I'd just let them sort things out amongst themselves.
Don't have the best data as we only saw it going on for a bit before intervening but it seemed very frequent.

When we first saw them the BCM was jumping up on the OE's back and going at her comb while the OE ran away.

After first cleaning the OE we put her back down and the BCM instantly went after her and started doing the same thing again. I don't know if she was specifically trying to prevent her from eating, but she seemed pretty effective at preventing her from doing anything but cowering and running.

After a day of separation I trialed them back together and the BCM behaved for a bit until she went for an experimental peck at the OE's comb. I did mock pecks at her with my finger and confined her again. Perhaps this second time was more normal behavior?

I still want to section off the run and confine the BCM for the time being I think, the OE is my favorite hen.

I'm thinking until the OE's comb heals or the BCM lays and hopefully calms down. Is there any logic to that? Or am I overreacting?

Thank you for your help!!

Don't have the best data as we only saw it going on for a bit before intervening but it seemed very frequent.

When we first saw them the BCM was jumping up on the OE's back and going at her comb while the OE ran away.

After first cleaning the OE we put her back down and the BCM instantly went after her and started doing the same thing again. I don't know if she was specifically trying to prevent her from eating, but she seemed pretty effective at preventing her from doing anything but cowering and running.

After a day of separation I trialed them back together and the BCM behaved for a bit until she went for an experimental peck at the OE's comb. I did mock pecks at her with my finger and confined her again. Perhaps this second time was more normal behavior?

I still want to section off the run and confine the BCM for the time being I think, the OE is my favorite hen.

I'm thinking until the OE's comb heals or the BCM lays and hopefully calms down. Is there any logic to that? Or am I overreacting?

I actually like that idea. Once they all lay them hormones settle down . If I had a meany and a favorite I'd separate them. Pecking is one thing but jumping on her and drawing blood! Nope not here.

It shouldn't hurt to confine her especially since she's still in the run and can see everyone, and maybe she'll calm down just from being separated for a few days, who knows. Best case scenario this is just some hormones raging and once she begins laying the behavior will stop or at least lessen greatly (I say lessen because you may still occasionally see hens flaring up against each other and squabbling over something or other, as long as it's not a continuous thing it's fine).

If it continues past the start of her laying, then you might need to reassess the situation, but for now I think your plan should work fine.

I actually like that idea. Once they all lay them hormones settle down . If I had a meany and a favorite I'd separate them. Pecking is one thing but jumping on her and drawing blood! Nope not here.
It shouldn't hurt to confine her especially since she's still in the run and can see everyone, and maybe she'll calm down just from being separated for a few days, who knows. Best case scenario this is just some hormones raging and once she begins laying the behavior will stop or at least lessen greatly (I say lessen because you may still occasionally see hens flaring up against each other and squabbling over something or other, as long as it's not a continuous thing it's fine).

If it continues past the start of her laying, then you might need to reassess the situation, but for now I think your plan should work fine.
Currently the BCM is confined to a little rabbit hutch to sleep in and I've been alternating who gets to be in the yard and who gets to be in the run. It's cute as they'll still look at each other through the hardware cloth and try to be near each other! Today I'm going to build something to section off part of the run for something that works while I'm at work though.
Could you post some very recent pictures of your birds for us?
IMG_20230813_072338858.jpg
The OE and the third chicken, an Orloff.

IMG_20230813_072738818.jpg IMG_20230813_073201477.jpg
The BCM. I know the other two are hens, unless the OE laid two different colored eggs in one day! But I haven't seen the BCM lay yet. Really hope she's not a roo!

The BCM just laid today! Later I tried letting them together for a bit to give them an ice treat (it's hot out). And she went for the OE again. I think I'll take it slow and let them all settle into laying. The BCM can play in the sectioned off run area while I'm at work. They seem mostly fine with this. Sometimes they hang out together next to the net.

I really hope as the OEs comb heals and the BCM settles down it'll be okay!

Currently the BCM is confined to a little rabbit hutch to sleep in and I've been alternating who gets to be in the yard and who gets to be in the run. It's cute as they'll still look at each other through the hardware cloth and try to be near each other! Today I'm going to build something to section off part of the run for something that works while I'm at work though.

View attachment 3608023
The OE and the third chicken, an Orloff.

View attachment 3608025View attachment 3608026
The BCM. I know the other two are hens, unless the OE laid two different colored eggs in one day! But I haven't seen the BCM lay yet. Really hope she's not a roo!
All are pullets but your BCM does appear to be something else with her big white earlobes and missing the feathered feet.

Her future eggs will tell.

Where did you purchase them?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom