Injured chicks!

Girlwithahoe

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 21, 2014
My little girl accidentally opened the garage and our dog got in there with our six baby chicks... My husband found the massacre! One of the six was DOA. Most of the others have injuries, some bleeding... everyone was soaked from the toppled water dish. We brought the remaining in the house, opened the oven door and put their box on the the oven door with the oven on warm for a while. All but one perked up after a while and started eating and eventually drinking. I have treated their wounds with neosporin and added ACV and a touch of epsom salt (the salt was my mother in laws idea). What else can we do?? The worse one looks more like it's suffering from severe shock.... the others... well their injuries range from slight scratches to actual dog teeth punctures. They are approximately 8 days old.
Advice please!! I'm new to this chicken mama bussiness

Awe I am sorry that this has happened to you, don't fear hopefully all goes well! Seems like you already are keeping them nice and warm (to avoid shock) and, since they are that young they wont be icking on each other so you don't need to seperate them. Seems like you also washed out the bigger wounds, saline solution is okay and best, and you can use an antibiotic but.. do not use anything on your chicken that contains the suffix -caine, like benzocaine, for example.
Keep an eye out for infection. The ones with small infections will probably recover quickly; the big danger is infection. Even larger wounds often heal with no problems if you give your chicks good care. Chickens are surprisingly resilient! If they are in a great deal of pain, you may dissolve 5 aspirin per gallon of water and let them drink that--it should reduce the pain. Make sure they are no longer bleeding since aspirin thins the blood and can increase bleeding. Now, this is just how I would go about treating an adult chicken..I have never had a situation like this with chicks so all I can say is hope for the best. If they are eating, drinking and pooing, they will probably get better soon enough! Good luck with them, and keep me posted!

fl.gif
Aleks

My little girl accidentally opened the garage and our dog got in there with our six baby chicks... My husband found the massacre! One of the six was DOA. Most of the others have injuries, some bleeding... everyone was soaked from the toppled water dish. We brought the remaining in the house, opened the oven door and put their box on the the oven door with the oven on warm for a while. All but one perked up after a while and started eating and eventually drinking. I have treated their wounds with neosporin and added ACV and a touch of epsom salt (the salt was my mother in laws idea). What else can we do?? The worse one looks more like it's suffering from severe shock.... the others... well their injuries range from slight scratches to actual dog teeth punctures. They are approximately 8 days old.
Advice please!! I'm new to this chicken mama bussiness

Alright keep them baby's warm at about 85F to 90F for now and if you
have any egg's in the house this is good natural medicine for them so
boil up some egg's not fry, and let cool then remove the shell and mash
up then serve to the chicks one egg two to three times a day this will
help replace any lost vitamins and give them the protein for healing
and aid in recovery ......

Some Probiotic in the water would also be great .....

Nugget... the one who was in severe shock, has finally perked up. The rest: Lucy, Ethel, Myrtle, and Gertrude all seem okay but I'm worried about infection still. Lucy and Gertrude seem to have the worst of the wounds. Bald and bloody spots on their back and wings... so sad... It's still too early to tell if they'll succumb to infection and that is what I'm most worried about.
I'm using a probiotic in their water along with ACV and a bit of asprin. Praying they hang in there! The egg is a good idea... I'll do that now.

1 of my baby chicks didn't look very well the first night and Im guessing it was shock because their cage tip over..she was just lifeless. We didn't think she was going to make it...So I grabbed her with a warm towel and kept her close to my chest for a couple of hours and dipped my finger in a lil yogurt for her..boy o boy what a change...she thought she was superwoman when I put her back in...guess she just needed a mom moment...good luck! cute names! I was gonna name my chicks, Marsha, Marsha, Marsha
jumpy.gif

Nugget... the one who was in severe shock, has finally perked up. The rest: Lucy, Ethel, Myrtle, and Gertrude all seem okay but I'm worried about infection still. Lucy and Gertrude seem to have the worst of the wounds. Bald and bloody spots on their back and wings... so sad... It's still too early to tell if they'll succumb to infection and that is what I'm most worried about.
I'm using a probiotic in their water along with ACV and a bit of asprin. Praying they hang in there! The egg is a good idea... I'll do that now.

Wounds can be washed with saline or warm water then put some regular Neosporin (NOT the kind with pain reliever) on the wounds to help prevent infection.

Great to read that you haven't had any further losses
jumpy.gif

Good job on taking care of them little guys
love.gif

Please keep us posted on their well being
wee.gif

We lost 2 chicks to dog attack last month. Was heartbreaking. Especially since it was totally my fault.

I'm glad yours seem to be mostly OK. I don't have advice since I'm totally new, just wanted to say I hope they make it through OK.

I hope they pull through for you! I also hope your little girl is doing ok. She must feel awful.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Myrtle wont eat :( I'm kinda force feeding her water but somethings wrong.... she's very lethargic. She's not even one with visible injuries... everyone else is doing remarkably well though...

Back
Top Bottom