Muscovy-palooza

Songster
Oct 17, 2018
East Tennessee
Our Cayuga has an injured foot. One of his toes is separated from the web. I put wonder dust on it to stop the bleeding and put him in a dog crate bedded with hay and food and water.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220824_194114.jpg
    20220824_194114.jpg
    592.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220824_193835.jpg
    20220824_193835.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 3
Ouch, poor thing. I am no expert but I think what you are doing is right. You may want to put something to kill bacteria on it like triple antibiotics cream or vetericyn. Otherwise, keep him quiet and the foot clean so it can heal.
One of my ducks is missing the webbing between one of her toes too. She was attacked by a raccoon before I got her. It doesn’t slow her down.

Ouch, poor thing. I am no expert but I think what you are doing is right. You may want to put something to kill bacteria on it like triple antibiotics cream or vetericyn. Otherwise, keep him quiet and the foot clean so it can heal.
One of my ducks is missing the webbing between one of her toes too. She was attacked by a raccoon before I got her. It doesn’t slow her down.
Thank you for the encouragement! I want sure how he would do without the webbing. I have no idea what happened to the poor fella. I suspect a snapping turtle but I really have no idea. Thanks again!

Don't know about hepicleanse. Is that a sterile wash? Where can I get it or can I use peroxide? Is that something that I can use today after putting the wonder dust on? It was bleeding pretty good so I feel that may have helped keep it clean. We had wonder dust so we coated the wound with that to stop the bleeding and to protect it from flies. What should I do today? Should it be bandaged? Should I put antibiotic cream on it or continue with the wonder dust?

Yes, the bleeding would have helped clean it out, so long as it wasn't too excessive.
Keep the foot clean, perhaps allow the duck to swim in some warm water with epsom salts added, making sure he doesn't drink it.
We have a product here in Canada called Silver Honey, from Absorbine. Can't read where it's made (honestly, white on yellow type?!?) but it works wonders. I think you can also use an antibiotic salve like Neosporin, and wrap up the foot if possible.

I'd give him at least a week for it to scab over and heal enough before he's allowed more movement.

Yes, the bleeding would have helped clean it out, so long as it wasn't too excessive.
Keep the foot clean, perhaps allow the duck to swim in some warm water with epsom salts added, making sure he doesn't drink it.
We have a product here in Canada called Silver Honey, from Absorbine. Can't read where it's made (honestly, white on yellow type?!?) but it works wonders. I think you can also use an antibiotic salve like Neosporin, and wrap up the foot if possible.

I'd give him at least a week for it to scab over and heal enough before he's allowed more movement.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom